Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

HS250h resale value low?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 09:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Im not sure if even at 29k its a worth while car IMO. I did notice if you press the brake pedal all the way to the floor it will freak out the traction and vss stuff. I thought it was pretty humorous.
That's Hill Assist Control.

When you depress the brake pedal, it will prevent the car from rolling backwards while stopped on a hill (even while you're not depressing the accelerator). Of course, you'll turn it on even if the car is flat.

I do it all the time since my condo is on a small hill...
Old 10-15-10, 10:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Here's a '10 with NAV and list over $41K and asking price is $29997 at a Lexus dealer near me and they have '08 IS250AWD's for the same cost and a thousand + more.

http://showroom.auction123.com/prest...6A2002368.html
That is around the price a well equipped HS should have cost. The HS does not seem like a terrible car, it is just way overpriced for what it is which is why there is no interest. Most buyers are expecting high 20's, very low 30's loaded at most for a car like that. High 30's to low 40's is just too much especially when most buyers are trying to save money when buying a hybrid. You can get a much nicer ES, RX, or IS for what many HS are going for and that is the problem.
Old 10-15-10, 10:45 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given how quick the trade-in was, it could be a lemon-law vehicle
Old 10-15-10, 10:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
According to the listing, it's CPO.

It may have been a rental/loaner car...
Old 10-15-10, 11:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is around the price a well equipped HS should have cost. The HS does not seem like a terrible car, it is just way overpriced for what it is which is why there is no interest. Most buyers are expecting high 20's, very low 30's loaded at most for a car like that. High 30's to low 40's is just too much especially when most buyers are trying to save money when buying a hybrid. You can get a much nicer ES, RX, or IS for what many HS are going for and that is the problem.
Tough for Lexus to go down to low 30's when my hybrid Camry with leather,NAV and just abou every option except rear seat entertainment,remote start and rear spoiler listed for $33032.
It' has to be at least $5K more with the HIDs and other items the Camry doesn't have.Also the Lexus badge.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-15-10 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Lol who are these "most"buyers? While I don't think the HS is for me it offers a lot of features that a lot of cars at any price does not have. ECO interior, front cameras, radar galore, LED headlights etc etc. It still gets 35 MPG which ia better than any luxury car not the Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

Relatively stable gas prices simply do not help hybrid sales.

The recall didn't help sales either.

Let's not all get in the habit of beating up the HS. There are still many owners here who have one. It's extremley rare for Lexus to miss a target widely as they did here.

Old 10-15-10, 11:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
you have no idea how quickly some people trade in their cars coz' they don't like them
Old 10-15-10, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lol who are these "most"buyers? While I don't think the HS is for me it offers a lot of features that a lot of cars at any price does not have. ECO interior, front cameras, radar galore, LED headlights etc etc. It still gets 35 MPG which ia better than any luxury car not the Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

Let's not all get in the habit of beating up the HS. There are still many owners here who have one. It's extremley rare for Lexus to miss a target widely as they did here.
not trying to make a habit, but pulling up the spec sheet doesn't really help at all, when in reality a lot of people i know (outside of CL) look at the car and think it's overpriced for what it is. that alone says quite a bit. could be marketing, could be the car. but no matter what it's not a good sign
Old 10-15-10, 11:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The main problem with the HS is with the LED headlights,cameras,NAV,radar etc,the list price is $49909 according to Edmunds on an '11 model.A ridiculous number for the car,IMO.
Old 10-15-10, 11:43 AM
LexFather

Henryand Joe, again not Disageeing it's overpriced but it's ridiculous to say it should be in the 20k range when a pos fake hybrid insight or crz is in the 20s with options and a loaded Prius is 30k and as Joe state his car was 32k.

The mKs hybrid also starts at 35k FYI

Old 10-15-10, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The main problem with the HS is with the LED headlights,cameras,NAV,radar etc,the list price is $49909 according to Edmunds on an '11 model.A ridiculous number for the car,IMO.
i guess they should have put all those options from LS600h... it would be much less.

I think HS problem is that it is too small and too pricey for US market.
Old 10-15-10, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Henryand Joe, again not Disageeing it's overpriced but it's ridiculous to say it should be in the 20k range when a pos fake hybrid insight or crz is in the 20s with options and a loaded Prius is 30k and as Joe state his car was 32k.

oh absolutely agree with you. 20s, that's a dream. but imho, low 30s i can probably deal with ti
Old 10-15-10, 12:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

$33K list.

I'd go more high $30's fully equipped.OK,maybe $41K with the radar and LEDs but $49.9K?Nah.
It does have some nice features available.LED headlights are not one for me,though.I'd rather have the HIDs.
Old 10-15-10, 02:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I get the feeling people here are thinking the OP's listed car is new. If it were, over $10k off list would not be happening, as the dealer would be losing money. This car is used with 13k miles.
Old 10-15-10, 03:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I get the feeling people here are thinking the OP's listed car is new. If it were, over $10k off list would not be happening, as the dealer would be losing money. This car is used with 13k miles.
My bad but I should have posted used but I did post the url.
That car will sell for say $28K and that's $13K off the sticker.
The trade in was probably $25K-$26K.The original owner took a hit.
It might be a loaner,though.
With the $3K manufacturer to dealer incentive,that $41K sticker HS probably can be bought for around $35K.

Quick Reply: HS250h resale value low?