Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why you got to take some of it with a grain of salt

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Talking Why you got to take some of it with a grain of salt

Was on Yahoo and saw this article about the Veyron..

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...d=family-autos

So I glance at the comments and see this gem

The performance of this car is impressive, but not worth anywhere close to $3 million. To start with, do an image search of a 350Z. You will see that this car just looks like a riced out 350Z. As far as horsepower, lots of guys are making 1200+ hp putting $20,000 into Corvette engines (don't claim you know better when you don't - do a search on 1000hp Corvette and you will literally get dozens of hits). Put some money into the Corvette suspension, and you've got a car that cost less than $150,000 total brand new that could keep up with this $3 million car in 95% of all scenarios. So why would anyone spend $3 million on a ricer 350Z that looks like a pumpkin smothered in poo? Hard to imagine. Oh yeah, I know - so they can keep it in the garage all but 2 or 3 days out of the year only to driving it down "Main St" to show off how much money you can waste on a car. People who buy these probably don't really care that much about performance. They want people to see them driving it. Big whoopy! Sounds like a blast to drive a Bugatti 25mph down Main St.
Which is followed with this

grate looking car
Another

this car is for music prod.....& rappers , they'd rather spend there money on a car & live the life in a cool crib than donate to the poor....then end there all bankrupted what idiots...
another

wake up suckers! with global economy these days even the shiek of araby will not touch it . maybe some idiots with a lot of money (probably stolen) will grab one or two.
that was not the beetle dr. ferdinand porsche designed in
1936 for hitler so every german citizen would have a car in every garage., akin to hoover's chicken in every pot.
another

i would smoke that uggly thing with my honda accord
etc...

lol...

Old 10-16-10, 07:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the "I could smoke ______ (insert car) that with my Accord" guys are the same ones that hate on everything Lexus and think the LFA is lame .
Old 10-16-10, 07:16 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL I need to read the under the articles I read online more often. OMG
Old 10-16-10, 10:22 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While some may say what the gentleman said about the Veyron is Ignorant and blasphamous to compare it to a Corvette. But I have to somewhat agree. Yeah the Corvette has a cut rate interior (having owned a C5 the seats dash and materials or horrible) but that can be easily fixed. But he's right im still a member of a popular Corvette forum and really 1,000 plus hp Vettes are plentifull and not that uncommon and it really doesnt take much to get to those power levels now a days, hell you can get over 700 easily with a stock motor just by strapping on a procharger D1 or an A&A Vortec blower with supporting fuel upgrades. Now forge the engine do a set of heads blah blah blah go twins or bigger blower and 1,000 hp is childs play now. Does a Corvette have the pinache of a Veyron, No. But even if i was loaded and I mean Bill Gates loaded I couldnt justify to myself buying one i'd rather have one of these and build a motor and redo the interior.

Old 10-16-10, 10:35 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really never got this Hypercar obsession...to me a corvette is fast enough. And I would actually take that black corvette over that "pumpkin smashed with poo" any day....that thing looks sick!
Old 10-16-10, 10:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Photo re-size please.
Old 10-16-10, 10:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, I think there's one poster on the internet, that leaves his comments everywhere.

"grate looking car"

"toyota camery"

"how are babbys formed"
Old 10-16-10, 11:34 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The back bumper of any new Corvette will bend with slight pressure to it. I never liked that fact since it turned me off from the whole car. Sure its fast, but if my Camry's bumper can stay solid with the same amount of pressure, thats quite sad. Might be going OCD on its faults but thats a major build quality issue in my eyes
Old 10-17-10, 03:33 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that corvette is sexy.
Old 10-17-10, 10:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car has nice wheels.
Old 10-17-10, 01:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok people, this thread was created sarcastically based on the complete ignorance of online commenters. Yes, with enough money any car can achieve any power, we all know that. The Veyron is a different monster, being able to do all of that and feel stable at record breaking speeds and made with the highest quality of materials and parts. I don't think you can appreciate one unless you've seen one for yourself, I didn't realize what the big deal was until I bumped into one.

I do admit, I don't know what % this applies to but some will buy the Veyron for the name but some do buy it for the beauty that of which it is and the refinement of which it represents.

I love the internet, it is where all of the fake people come to be who they really are.
Old 10-17-10, 07:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Ok people, this thread was created sarcastically based on the complete ignorance of online commenters. Yes, with enough money any car can achieve any power, we all know that. The Veyron is a different monster, being able to do all of that and feel stable at record breaking speeds and made with the highest quality of materials and parts. I don't think you can appreciate one unless you've seen one for yourself, I didn't realize what the big deal was until I bumped into one.

I do admit, I don't know what % this applies to but some will buy the Veyron for the name but some do buy it for the beauty that of which it is and the refinement of which it represents.

I love the internet, it is where all of the fake people come to be who they really are.

I agree completely...

for somewhere well under 50 grand, anyone could build a really fast, well handling car (granted, the basis would have to be a few years old)...

the Veyron is ridiculous in its own right... it has radiator fans that turn on and shut down depending not only on the coolant temp, but the speed the car is at... it has a drivetrain that can truly handle the power it makes - put some tires sticky enough to put that much power to the ground in any other car, and all you will end up with is a pile of metal chunks that just fell out of the transmission and/or rear end / center differential... thats just a couple of pieces of refinement you won't get with any other vehicle out there, for now at least...