Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought a used car without key number plate..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 09:20 PM
jvLin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a used car without key number plate..

I recently bought a used certified Lexus IS250 and it only came with two keys and their remotes. In the manual though, it says it's supposed to have a key number plate. I'm guessing the previous owner did not return it. Should I be worried about the previous owner making copies of the key to my car?
Old 10-16-10, 09:31 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, does the old owner know where you live?

Since you said it's certified, I'm guessing you got it from a dealership, and I highly doubt the dealership will release your address to some random person waltzing in and demanding it. And I'm pretty sure there's a law warranting the protection of confidential information.
Old 10-16-10, 09:40 PM
votru
Lead Lap

First, welcome to CL.
Agree with Felixsc300 as the chance very slim and you have insurance for this very reason so enjoy the car and view IS forum as alot of helpful infos .
Old 10-16-10, 10:00 PM
jvLin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, guys. So the chances are slim, but theoretically, he could take the number plate and make extra keys? Is there anything that is preventing that from happening?

The previous owner does not know where I live, but the license plate is the same, and there is a LoJack device installed (I think the dealership installed it, but I didn't pay for it).
Old 10-16-10, 11:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,850 Likes on 2,409 Posts

Originally Posted by jvLin
Thanks, guys. So the chances are slim, but theoretically, he could take the number plate and make extra keys?
I'm pretty sure that you need the master key to make a key that will work correctly. In other words, the key will open the door, but the car will not start, and if it does, it will start and then shut off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it certainly works that way on my car.
Old 10-16-10, 11:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Little to no worries. That little key plate is so small, it is easily misplaced and lost. When turning in the car, most owners will not even remember that little key ID. Who is to say the car was a local turn-in also. Check the service history and see which dealer did the maintenance.

If you feel uncomfortable, new plates are easy. They will likely be close enough in the same year series as on there now.
Old 10-16-10, 11:07 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvLin
Thanks, guys. So the chances are slim, but theoretically, he could take the number plate and make extra keys?
Theoretically, yes. But could you provide a theoretical number of him seeing his old car? I'd put that figure at like .05%. And I highly doubt he'd toss aside his plans just to stalk you around half a day, find out where you live, pay $400 for a key, and return to your house and take your car. Plus you don't even know where HE is from: what if the guy got promoted to CEO, dumped the IS250 to get a IS-F, and lives in a mansion up in the mountains where the closest Lexus dealership is 2 hours away?

Not everyone in this world is a cold-hearted, greedy son of a *****. So stop being so paranoid and enjoy your car. If he does turn out to be one, then take the insurance check and buy another one. It's not like the IS250 is a special-release 1 of 1500 Scions, and even those I highly doubt people would waste their time to scheme stealing one.

And just for the record, I sold a Lexus earlier this year to a guy who lives in a city 40 minutes away (Oakland), and I haven't seen that car since then, old plates and mixed up emblems and all.
Old 10-17-10, 08:38 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't even need that key plate to get a key for my car. I just gave them my VIN, proof of ownership, and they ordered it. A week later I just pulled into to service and they programmed it within a half hour.