Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Nissan GT-R officially laps the Nurburgring in 7:20

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 08:26 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
..."the Corolla sucks b/c the Civic can lap the Nurburgring in 24 minutes and the Corolla 25 minutes"
Supercharged, ehhh????
Old 10-19-10, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Big difference. 0-60 is very easy to understand, most average people know what it means. Also during testing, it happens almost instantaneously.

In comparison the Nordschleife is 12.9 miles long. It takes for just about any production car over 7 minutes just to complete ONE lap. The track is so long and covers such a large geographical area that it has its own micro-climate. Often it can be sunny in one part of the track, and raining in the other part of the track. It could be windy in one part of the track, while calm in the other part of the track.

With such a large and long track, and a long amount of time that it takes just to complete one lap, there are a HUGE amount of variables that affect the time of just ONE lap (with the same car, and same driver).

Compare this to 0-60 times, where there are a lot less variables that can affect the times of one run.

Comparing 'Ring times of different cars, based on times that were achieved on different days with different drivers is extremely complex, much more complicated and less accurate than comparing 0-60 times.
if we choose agree to disagree, then that's the case. i see no difference except the ring time measurement started few years back (into mainstream) and the 0-60 has been longer. easier or harder to understand is a matter of perspective, the end result is a number.

less variables? really depends on how you see it, coz' in my eyes there are just as many variables including drivers and road conditions. and 100s of a second, should we consider it as no big deal or huge deal (out of 4 seconds)? and for very high performance car, isn't there all the talk that 0-60 is quite meaningless? who says all 0-60 are done on the same day/time/location/driver? no... if you think 0-60 is more accurate in any way, then imho that's pretty off.

case in point? 98 gs400 lexus claimed what, 5.8 0-60? of my whole ownership of the car, i have never been able to do better than 6.1, and a lot of people i know can't touch that. accurate?
Old 10-19-10, 09:38 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

i dont come here often anymore but its sad that so many misunderstand the lfa, especially among lexus's own enthusiasts.

if your opinion on the lfa is (to any significant degree) derived from how many seconds below (or above) 7'30" it is on the ring then you're missing the point.

lexus has created something truly special and they're going about its delivery to market the 'right' way.

as far as the gtr goes, my opinion on that would probably not be well liked so ill save that except to say that its a different car vs the lfa.
Old 10-19-10, 09:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't really care for Ring times because I'll never get to drive there, but I rather see that than 0-60. At least it's not just acceleration part that's factored in.
Old 10-19-10, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
i dont come here often anymore but its sad that so many misunderstand the lfa, especially among lexus's own enthusiasts.

if your opinion on the lfa is (to any significant degree) derived from how many seconds below (or above) 7'30" it is on the ring then you're missing the point.

lexus has created something truly special and they're going about its delivery to market the 'right' way.

as far as the gtr goes, my opinion on that would probably not be well liked so ill save that except to say that its a different car vs the lfa.
Hey mahn glad to see your post. Please share your thoughts here.

Old 10-19-10, 11:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
if we choose agree to disagree, then that's the case. i see no difference except the ring time measurement started few years back (into mainstream) and the 0-60 has been longer. easier or harder to understand is a matter of perspective, the end result is a number.

less variables? really depends on how you see it, coz' in my eyes there are just as many variables including drivers and road conditions. and 100s of a second, should we consider it as no big deal or huge deal (out of 4 seconds)? and for very high performance car, isn't there all the talk that 0-60 is quite meaningless? who says all 0-60 are done on the same day/time/location/driver? no... if you think 0-60 is more accurate in any way, then imho that's pretty off.

case in point? 98 gs400 lexus claimed what, 5.8 0-60? of my whole ownership of the car, i have never been able to do better than 6.1, and a lot of people i know can't touch that. accurate?
Yes you are correct, that for 0-60 lots of variables can change when comparing different cars. However, I meant that during one 0-60 run of the same car, it's rare that variables will change since a 0-60 run happens so quickly. This is in comparison to a 'Ring lap, where variables can change over one lap as I mentioned. The above-mentioned examples of the track being wet in one part and being dry in another part. These sort of variable changes you would not really experience during one 0-60 run with the same vehicle.
Old 10-19-10, 11:45 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yes you are correct, that for 0-60 lots of variables can change when comparing different cars. However, I meant that during one 0-60 run of the same car, it's rare that variables will change since a 0-60 run happens so quickly. This is in comparison to a 'Ring lap, where variables can change over one lap as I mentioned. The above-mentioned examples of the track being wet in one part and being dry in another part. These sort of variable changes you would not really experience during one 0-60 run with the same vehicle.
Again, that's why comparing manufacturers' best results is a lot more meaningful than comparing magazine results. If you watch the GT-R's documentary of its Nurburgring time attack (in Chapter 4), you'll see that it took the team many, many tries to find a dry track in almost all areas for the best lap. Magazines don't have such luxury obviously--track condition therefore affects their results dramatically. A manufacturer's team on the other hand can just keep trying and trying until the driver puts together the best possible lap in the best possible track condition, and the result is what the car is really capable of and is useful for comparisons.

0-60 times can be done quickly so even magazines can keep trying for many times until they get what they think is the best result, but 0-60 times are always done on different tracks by different magazines and manufacturers, so for this reason comparing manufacturers' Nurburgring lap times is even more meaningful than comparing 0-60 times.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-19-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 11:49 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

By the way SportAuto just did 7:34 with the 2011 GT-R, 4 seconds faster than the 2010 GT-R that did 7:38 (which happens to be what they got in the LFA too).
http://www.sportauto-online.de/testb...t-2822697.html
Old 10-19-10, 03:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the same lames that get 0-100mkh in 4.1 seconds too! Guys seriously donno how to drive the Nissan or the LFA. They could only muster 4.2 to 100kmh in the LFA. They obviously just hop in the car with their noses high and figure they can go fast without knowing how the car behaves or even taking some pointers. That's what those euro mags are all about. Everything in their world should handle like a ferrari or porsche or lamborghini. Well there's a news flash, it's called Japan and the United States. They make cars just as fast and is most cases, faster than their euro-badged overpriced cars.
Old 10-19-10, 06:30 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously the GT-R and LFA arguing is old and redundant. Two entirely different cars and markets. We all know the GTR is one of the best missles in regards to bang for the buck. We also know nurburgin times r for measuring contests and if that is all that mattered then all theae exotics would not sell.

Well they do even if the GT-R slowed the universe expansion.

I love the GT-R but I'm beyond tired of people thinking a low Ring time is the say all be all for cars.

It's funny they seem to have invented a catagory to claim how it's fastest.

Other catagories:

"fastest car built on Tuesdays"
"fastest car at the ring sharing a production line with Nissan skyline/g37s"
"fastest car where workers where blue underwear"
"fastest car timed before 9am with a 4 mph wind"
and the best
"fastest car for people to argue on the Internet"
Even worse is when the manufacturer claims "Best in class mileage" or "Best in class horsepower".....what class? That is never mentioned Ha Ha
Old 10-19-10, 06:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^agree as well. Congrats to Nissan for bolting together one of the fastest performance cars of our time, at any pricepoint.
Fastest what?

0-40
0-60
40-60
60-100
80-120
1/4 mile

Fastest what?
Old 10-19-10, 06:38 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Lexus is using mystery to sell it's car. Do not release any official numbers. Let speculation drive the market. Once you officially release the numbers, there is nothing to speculate, nothing to wonder, nothing to ponder, nothing to argue and nothing to be curious about.
Old 10-19-10, 06:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^agree as well. Congrats to Nissan for bolting together one of the fastest performance cars of our time, at any pricepoint.

Originally Posted by chikoo
Fastest what?

0-40
0-60
40-60
60-100
80-120
1/4 mile

Fastest what?
Noticed he said 'one of the fastest' not 'fastest'. The GTR is a stellar performer in almost everything it does. It may not produce the fastest time for every category, but it's sure up there.
Old 10-19-10, 07:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Agreed. But my point is that there is nothing called "Fastest"....which many marketing folks use very loosely.
Old 10-20-10, 06:51 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chikoo
Lexus is using mystery to sell it's car. Do not release any official numbers. Let speculation drive the market. Once you officially release the numbers, there is nothing to speculate, nothing to wonder, nothing to ponder, nothing to argue and nothing to be curious about.
really? i could've sworn that when Nissan released the GTR 'ring track times, all hell broke loose across any and every car forum.
cut slicks anyone?

Last edited by shyguy16; 10-20-10 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Nissan GT-R officially laps the Nurburgring in 7:20