Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 S550 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 07:38 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 S550 Impressions

I was in Vancouver on Friday for business and had rented a "luxury" car....a Volvo X70. It was ok, but not anywhere near what I would consider true luxury. I had meetings all day that went very well, so when I went back to pick up my wife at the airport that evening, lo and behold, there was a white S550 at the rental place.

Typically Budget doesn't advertise these cars as they are limited in the number the have available, only 3 in this case...an E-class, a CLS550 and the S550. Having almost purchased an E and CLS, I was most looking forward to driving the S for a couple of days. I figured, what the heck, business is good, let's have some fun.

I have always loved the look of the S-class. Understated, classy, decently aggressive with the AMG wheels like this one had. I've sat in them before, but never driven them. Having it for 2 1/2 days was more than ample time to get to know it.

The interior was a medium brown color that wasn't all that appealing imo, but the comfort was ridiculously good. The quality of the leather was fantastic and the seats were super comfortable. I tried to get the wife to chauffer me around while I sat in the super spacious back seat, but she wouldn't go for that.

Tons of technology...most of which I couldn't figure out while driving...lol. Power everything, except for the sunroof cover which seemed odd. Brilliant use of space, with lots of hidden storage spaces (ie. the side armrests, under both front seats, dual middle armrest spaces, etc). Comfort access and folding mirrors were great while parking. Power rear headrests and sunshades were cool.

What I was really surprised with was the drive. I was disappointed when I took the CLS550 out a while back. I thought it felt like a land yacht and had too much body roll. I actually expected the S to be worse, but was pleasantly surprised. It had plenty of power...much more than the majority of these car buyers are looking for. It felt super solid and hadn't relatively little body roll for a car of this size. The steering was responsive, even though not as connected as a comparable BMW. The ride was super smooth and quiet.

One annoying thing we encountered was a vibration/road noise coming from the front left wheel well. Originally I thought it might be a low/flat tire, but it was full. I also thought it might be a loose panel, but it didn't seem loose at all. What was odd was that it didn't occur continously. It seemed to be intermittent at times, and it would self-correct if the brakes were applied or if the steering column was shifted by as little as an inch. I mentioned it to the company and hopefully they will fix it.

Overall, I definitely understand why this car is so popular and considered the class leader. Imo, the Panamera's interior is much better than the S, though it lacks the fifth seat and isn't quite as spacious in the rear. This car will definitely get a long look when we replace our ML.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 S550 Impressions-random-092.jpg   2009 S550 Impressions-random-093.jpg   2009 S550 Impressions-random-094.jpg  
Old 10-18-10, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Great review! Very cool rental and the S class looks great there. Very sporty wheels for a non AMG kit model.

Lovely pics. How was acceleration and the brakes?

Old 10-18-10, 09:15 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

that car is untouchable......
Old 10-18-10, 09:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review! Very cool rental and the S class looks great there. Very sporty wheels for a non AMG kit model.

Lovely pics. How was acceleration and the brakes?
Thanks for pointing that out Mike I actually meant to specifically mention both. For such a large car, I was quite impressed with both the acceleration and the brakes. There is plenty of get up and go for a car that most are buying just to cruise comfortably. It isn't going to shove you into the seat, but it is surprsingly quick. I can only imagine what a 63 or 65 must be like to drive.

The brakes were the most astonishing. Downtown Vancouver can be a frustrating place to drive and being able to stop on a dime is essential, if not life saving...lol. Even my wife commented how shocking it was that we could stop that quickly and safely.
Old 10-18-10, 10:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, what rental company had an S-Class?
Old 10-18-10, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow, what rental company had an S-Class?
budget, OP mentioned in the 2nd paragraph

good review! i agree a lot with what you said. personally i am not a huge fan of the exterior yet, especially the wheel arcs, but the overall presence of the car is undeniable (much more than ls460l and 750il imho). the seats are comfortable, though i think lexus has better and softer leather. i am not sure if i like the headliner though, i would prefer suede like materials rather than just the normal cloth setup.

the car definitely has tons of space, even more than that of the ls460l imho, with a lot of storage room. a lot of gadgets and electronics to play with as well, but in terms of operations overall i probably like ls460l a bit more.

i agree with you on the performance. the car powers pretty adequately, especially for its size and weight (imagine the s63 and above...). i was actually surprised by its cornering as well. i guess the s550 is really in between the ls460l and the 750il with good compromises. it's still very quiet, handles better, but not so much that you loose too much comfort as in the 750il. the braking is very nice and consistent, i find it pretty similar to the ls460l in general.

honestly, given that i have had the ls460l, we have been thinking about the s550 as our family sedan. i don't like the pre 2010 taillights, so maybe we will wait a few more years for all the bugs to be flushed out and get one to replace the gs. so far from what i have read, the w221 has been pretty darn good
Old 10-18-10, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Great review. While not a fan of the bloated SUV fender flares and tacked-on trunk, this generation S-class has proven itself and made a good profit for the company. Bare in mind, this model is on the way out, with a new one coming soon. So if you are thinking about a new one... keep that in mind.
Old 10-19-10, 04:51 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't count the number of times car mags have done a comparison on the "Big 3" - S550, A8, 750i expecting the BMW to win... and the S550 wins everytime.... BEAUTIFUL car!!!!
Old 10-19-10, 06:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

love the S550! great review
Old 10-19-10, 06:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My boss has one. He keeps refusing to let me have it for a day or two.
Old 10-19-10, 07:32 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Current S is the best S ever. Great luxury car. BUT... better have warranty if you have one of these.
Old 10-19-10, 07:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

C. - Excellent review, your experienced perspective as multiple premium car owner is appreciated. This really helps explain the popularity of this large lux sedan.
Old 10-19-10, 11:12 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I totally love the new S Class. It's says i'm the Boss everytime I see the vehicle on the road. One thing I will never do is purchase a MB without a warranty and without the AMG package. I'm still blowing away that you were able to rent the car.
Old 10-19-10, 02:38 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love Vancouver, its got to be the most beautiful city I've been to. Nice car too!