Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 05:55 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster

Does anyone think Lexus will use this setup for the US market any time soon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06j6...eature=related
Old 10-20-10, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on cost.

Since the Japanese Yen is up, it will cost considerably more in U.S. cars.

And with competition significantly becoming more "value-oriented", and this inconvenient recession, it may be challenging to justify the substantial increase of price.
Old 10-20-10, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

all the goodies for jdm market, sigh...

suddenly lfa is not that special j/k
Old 10-20-10, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope not. The only features on it I like are the white-lighting and the door-ajar indicator. But the tach has no redline, a blue-arc that takes up space for no reason, and goes (needlessly) to 10,000 RPM. And I've always preferred speedometers that showed MPH in increments of 10 (10, 20, 30, 40, etc...) instead of (20, 40, 60, 80, etc...). IMO, they are quicker and easier to read at a glance. But most newer cars seem to do it in the 20, 40, 60 method now.
Old 10-20-10, 09:35 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont like it, its pretty cheap looking, reminded me of those start up movies on those domestic cell phones you can buy in china lol.

Imagine if we can customize the theme, like girls can have justin bieber theme dash, and guys can have like ferrari clusters
Old 10-20-10, 11:01 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope not. The only features on it I like are the white-lighting and the door-ajar indicator. But the tach has no redline, a blue-arc that takes up space for no reason, and goes (needlessly) to 10,000 RPM. And I've always preferred speedometers that showed MPH in increments of 10 (10, 20, 30, 40, etc...) instead of (20, 40, 60, 80, etc...). IMO, they are quicker and easier to read at a glance. But most newer cars seem to do it in the 20, 40, 60 method now.
I think that is the hybrid Crown which is why it has that blue arc which is used during regen charging.

Currently used on the 600HL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMAvVtXP-AA

Id expect there to be some sort of digital display on the next GS
Old 10-20-10, 12:29 PM
LexFather

The CT has a changing gauge cluster. The LFA does as well. Jaguar and Range Rover have them now. Basically an entire digital cluster than can be programmed numerous ways.

Old 10-20-10, 12:46 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar did it better
Old 10-20-10, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The CT has a changing gauge cluster. The LFA does as well. Jaguar and Range Rover have them now. Basically an entire digital cluster than can be programmed numerous ways.
imho, it will be the future anyway. not going to take over the world for another while to go, but the trend is there
Old 10-20-10, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i dont get why they dont have those watches which are smart keys as well, for europe and usa... it makes no sense to me... i think it is quite premium and cool. they have it in japan and it is affordable too.
Old 10-20-10, 10:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A couple of things...
Wouldn't it cost less to just have one electric screen like on the Crown? No moving needles to assemble or worry about.

The 2IS came with several class first: Push button start, rear LED license plate lights, and "cooled" seats. If Lexus continues this pattern and momentum for new releases, I expect some interesting and innovative electronics or features for the 3IS. One guess -and more of a wish- is a digital speedometer, making more room for info displays for temp, MPG's, radio info, etc.
Old 10-20-10, 10:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think on the next generation of Lexus models, we are only going to see partial digital screens.
Old 10-20-10, 10:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

^^ That would be great. I'd like a traditional tach, but a digital speedo. The IS-F has the right idea, but the positioning makes the whole thing look a little *cycloptic (*inventing new words).
Old 10-20-10, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
imho, it will be the future anyway. not going to take over the world for another while to go, but the trend is there
I assume it would be cheaper to build than traditional systems very soon. Imagine the endless color and look choices in the future of your gauges!

Or even imagine downloading Ferrari gauges etc in your car.

Old 10-21-10, 09:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in the Lexus LS setup:
I'm assuming it's three different digital displays? (one for speedometer; one for tachometer and oil/engine temperature; one for fuel gauge and for hybrid)

I predict that the next-gen LS might for one whole screen (like in the Toyota Crown).

Also, the Toyota Crown in Japan is more of a relative to the Lexus GS, right? If so, then I also predict that there is a chance that the next-gen GS *might* follow this setup as well.

Originally Posted by rominl
and it looks like it

I predict MB is thinking of doing the same as well. This is because the current S-class uses a digital display for the speedometer. I assume that with competitors (Jaguar/Land Rover and a few select Lexus models and other premium automakers) doing this, I'm guessing that the next S class will upgrade to full virtual display gauge (not just the speedometer like in the current S-class model).

This is the future. In the next few decades from now, I predict that this will become common tech in many automobiles.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster