Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: most reliable automaker
GM
0%
Ford
3.57%
Honda
30.36%
Mitubishi
0%
Hyundai
1.79%
Kia
0%
Toyota
58.93%
Nissan
0%
Suzuki
0%
BMW
1.79%
Mercedes
1.79%
Audi
0%
VW
0%
other
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

most reliable automaker....now with actual automakers listed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 08:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default which is the most reliable automaker?....now with actual automakers listed!!

write in your favorite if its not listed.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-21-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 10:08 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota/honda get my vote at the moment.
Old 10-21-10, 10:23 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i picked honda because of my experience with my old CRV. super low maintenance and never let me down. cracked radiator, just turned on the heater and kept driving.
Old 10-21-10, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, which, for several reasons, I consider the best source in the buisness for auto reliability, Honda/Acura has the best and most consistant reliability of any automaker in the American market. Toyota, Scion, Lexus, Infiniti (except for the QX-56), and Subaru are close. So are some Buicks, Hyundais, and newer Fords.

And, from what I've seen in my reviews, though we can argue all day about recent Honda/Acura styling (which, I agree, is sometimes awful), Hondas and Acuras also seem to come from the factory assembled more carefully, and with more precision, than those of any other automaker. Honda puts a great deal of attention into this at their assembly plants.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-21-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Well I can't consider some of these brands since they don't even make engines or drive-trains like everyone else. No V-8s, no RWD, no real trucks well that means your reliability should be better since you have a much smaller and more shared product line. So Honda should be reliable since they sell what 2/3 engines, 2 or 3 platforms and that is about it.

I'm impressed with the Germans improvement while they still lag behind.

Ford also has done very well to me.

Hyundai/Kia's new vehicle are just that, new so I can't accurately judge quality based on their old POS vehicles they used to sell.

VW for example while unreliable offers everything from Polo's to Phaetons that are very complex.

Toyota still gets my vote since no one has proven to me they are head and shoulders better. Everyone has recalls. I've never had the unrealistic expectation of having 0 problems with my Lexus. Toyota has real hybrids, trucks, SUVs, cars, a very complex lineup including the 70k Land Cruiser.

Whats funny is these latest Toyota's built in the sales first, quality second era are still higher in quality than most. So knowing they are going back to quality means a bunch of Hilux's being sold

Old 10-21-10, 12:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Subie, Hyundai are top Asian brands, Mercedes top German brand, Ford top American brand from a reliability standpoint.
Old 10-21-10, 12:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

we've owned a good number of Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the years, and my parents even more so in the 70's and 80's. they were quite reliable then, and it hasn't tapered off in my experience with them. they're not the flashiest or the fastest of rides, but they do get you from point a to point b without fail. mercedes benz is definitely the more reliable of the german brands (lesser of two evils in comparison to bmw). ford has undeniably been the most reliable american brand. dad had his super van for nearly two decades, and it works nearly every single time (except for a few battery issues during the cold months).
Old 10-21-10, 01:27 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does Mazda stand in reliability opinions? I didn't like them before because of their association with Ford, but their new offerings seem to be pretty attractive (Mazdaspeed 3 in particular).
Old 10-21-10, 01:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
Where does Mazda stand in reliability opinions? I didn't like them before because of their association with Ford, but their new offerings seem to be pretty attractive (Mazdaspeed 3 in particular).
IMO, I think mazda is good, but still slightly below Honda and Toyota.
Old 10-21-10, 02:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

LOL at the results so far. Seems pretty clear. No question that Toyota and Honda are the epitome of reliability.

In my experience, Toyota still has the edge.

Who voted for BMW, lol. The title of the thread isn't..."Most reliable source of income for which auto tech's?"
Old 10-21-10, 08:32 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to Consumer Reports, which, for several reasons, I consider the best source in the buisness for auto reliability, Honda/Acura has the best and most consistant reliability of any automaker in the American market. Toyota, Scion, Lexus, Infiniti (except for the QX-56), and Subaru are close. So are some Buicks, Hyundais, and newer Fords.

And, from what I've seen in my reviews, though we can argue all day about recent Honda/Acura styling (which, I agree, is sometimes awful), Hondas and Acuras also seem to come from the factory assembled more carefully, and with more precision, than those of any other automaker. Honda puts a great deal of attention into this at their assembly plants.
Honda is probably the main reason why I am with Toyota today. My vote still goes to Toyota. I think Honda makes some great products. Some are very reliable, and their build quality (fit and finish, ect.) appears to be very good. But they have long had automatic transmission reliablility issues with some of their models that CR never picked up on (ie. late '90's early '00's Honda Accord and Acura TL). Some of those cars had consecutive third and fourth transmission repacements. And from what I have read over the years, their transmissions never operated as smoothly as that of Toyota's either.
Old 10-21-10, 08:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes the results definitely are clear here. Not a single vote for Hyundai, I guess Hyundai's forum PR people are not paid for honest opinions .
Old 10-21-10, 09:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Forum bias is strong but that's expected. I've been on the GM forum and most guys on their thinks their cars are the best built cars on earth.
Old 10-21-10, 09:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Forum bias is strong but that's expected. I've been on the GM forum and most guys on their thinks their cars are the best built cars on earth.
Even with recalls, I don't think anyone builds a better vehicle than Toyota new or old. Even with recalls and terrible press people still are buying Toyotas based on the faith they will be reliable.

Toyota without that Ace Card would fall off the map!

The LFA is the extreme of this. Quality and Construction few have matched. An exotic that will work everyday even though it has a 552hp V-10.

Nuff said

Old 10-21-10, 09:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes, which is one reason why these results should not be a surprise to anyone.

However, the difference here is, a lot of facts support these results.

Does GM overall place high on long-term quality surveys? Does GM have the lowest warranty claims in the industry? Bring that up in a GM forum and you'll get a lot of silence.

Quick Reply: most reliable automaker....now with actual automakers listed!!