Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 11:16 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fortunately as a 2009 IS350 owner I haven't been affected by any of these recalls.

Valve spring recall? 09 not affected (only 06-08 affected)

Brake fluid/fuel pump recall? 09 not affected (only 06 affected)

Accelerator pedal recall? I don't consider this to be a recall at all. I had properly installed floormats and therefore there was no need to tinker with the physical design of my accelerator pedal. My car was made safer (with the addition of brake override) at no cost to me.

Besides that, I've just had regular maintenance done. Point is - all of this negative press for Toyota has not made my particular model (09 Lexus IS350) any less reliable than I had expected it to be.

I'm on 1.5 years and 40k miles with the IS350 so far. Given the remarkably hassle free experience I've had so far, I fully expect the car to easily hit 150k+ miles.
Old 10-21-10, 11:23 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
This will make toyota look bad. It'll make consumers to have a second thought before looking for another toyota because people were told and believed of bulletproof reliability of their products. There's nowhere to go but down once you're up top.
You can always go even higher up .

Toyota quality is going to get even better, not worse.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The difference in news coverage is staggering. Other brands have a recall and there is a one liner on the internet site and hardly any verbal press.

Toyota recall gets verbal coverage including stating individual models. WTF?

Whats funny is Toyota is hell bent on improving quality and sport. The sleeping giant has awoken.
Despite the continuing media witch hunt, Toyota sales are still pretty solid.

You are completely correct. The sleeping giant has awoken, and the competition needs to worry.
Old 10-21-10, 11:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

media or not, toyota just have to suck it up. it's their hole
Old 10-21-10, 12:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my 07 IS350 dodges this particular recall.

But I'm on my 3rd recall (actually the 3rd one for valve springs still needs to be done) and have had 2 TSIBs done. And zero warranty defects too.

No problem for me given the top-notch Lexus customer service I've experienced combined with car always returned clean with full tank of gas.
Old 10-21-10, 12:51 PM
Seadee456
Driver

I had to have my master brake cylinder on my 05 RX330 replaced about a year ago due to it leaking fluid(this very problem). My local dealership took care of it since my car was out of warranty. Does this mean I can get another one?
Old 10-21-10, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

it shows how well Toyota was part sharing across various models, no wonder they made so much money
Old 10-21-10, 01:12 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There have been more than 50 recalls affecting cars in the US, this year alone. I think this goes to show that car companies are no longer going to risk being lambasted by the NHTSA and get the resulting bad press. They all saw what happened to Toyota and so any issue that comes up, they just issue a recall.

While in theory these recalls could increase reliability and prevent emergency maintenance, they also increase customer inconvenience and raise costs for everyone.
Old 10-21-10, 01:56 PM
WAES300
Driver

There have been only 2, TWO complaints about this particular problem. How many Nissan trucks are rusted out? No recall. How many V6 Honda trannys crapped out? How many Ford cruise controls caught on fire before they issued a recall??

I'm getting pretty tired of hearing only Toyota's recalls. There have been many recalls by others (MB, Chrysler, Mazda, Kia..etc) yet they don't receive any media attention. AT ALL. If people want to "trade up" to something other than a Toyota, your loss. I've had experience with other cars and working on a car lot, I see Toyota's with 100,000mile plus that drive/feel better than a 10,000 mile Hyundai. Not that Toyota is god, I definitely like the new Korean breed of cars, and I wouldn't be ashamed to say I will consider a Ford when I purchase new.

However, I'm sure there are many that can say the same: Toyota/Toyota products have been the most reliable in ones experience. My car is a prime example. 200K miles and it runs drives and feels as good as much newer cars. My dad has an 06 Sequoia, 60K miles. No problems, not even a light bulb gone out. Just for comparison, we had a 99 Expedition in our family that blew a tranny at 35K miles. Which one is going to leave a better feeling in your stomach??

Ultimately, I just wanted to make a point that everyone has problems, even if your not hearing of it. I'm just tired of the talking heads on TV going "& another reason why your Toyota might be dangerous!! Tonight at five." Rant over, sorry every one
Old 10-21-10, 05:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this recall is nothing compared to the valve spring and fuel line recalls.
Old 10-21-10, 08:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My car is going in soon for the springs and pedal.

Hopefully I can get the new recall done at the same time.

This week I had my nav disk replaced as the nav was not tracking. They tried to charge me (car is an 06 and off warranty) and I said TSBs are always free and they did the job gratis.

My bad for getting an early car.

I also had the driver's seatbelt jam and got that replaced, the sunglass holder stuck and got that replaced, the dusty front brake pads replaced, the fuel rails replaced, the nav screen after it died replaced. The car has been in about 6 times for issues regarding the TPM as well. I know I am forgetting something.

The key thing is the car never left me stranded and between the dealers and Lexus, they always make things right for me.
Old 10-21-10, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pcoaew
Proactive b/c they have no choice......

Used to be that Toyota was the reliable one... but I Haven't heard any large scale recalls from Hyundai ever....Toyota deserves it for thinking no one could topple them, look at them now, with all the recalls ..
Just one recall

Hyundai recalls 139,500 Sonatas over steering
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39369338/ns/business-autos

^^ You know whats funny, I wasn't even AWARE of the recall until I just googled it. They got no press, swept under the rug. I don't even see it on their website.

Old 10-21-10, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
This week I had my nav disk replaced as the nav was not tracking. They tried to charge me (car is an 06 and off warranty) and I said TSBs are always free and they did the job gratis.
tsib is not free, technically only during warranty period i believe. recall is free for the lifetime of the car
Old 10-22-10, 08:15 AM
LexFather

Okay this is interesting, so the came company that makes the brakes for Toyota did for Honda/Acura?

Funny that Toyota took all the brunt of the news circus with no mention of Honda/Acura. Are they that unimportant?

Old 10-22-10, 09:15 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The biggest are always the target.

McDonald's is evil (not BK, Wendy's, ect...)

Wal*Mart is evil (not Target, K-Mart, ect.)

and so on....
Old 10-22-10, 11:51 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Originally Posted by WAES300
There have been only 2, TWO complaints about this particular problem.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the complaints. One day, my "brake" light came on and I had no brakes. Luckily I work 2 blocks from the Lexus dealer so I drove there in first gear. They replaced the master cylinder free of charge even though my car was out of warranty. They might have known of this problem at that time already. I just wonder if I can get another one now.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally