Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are your choices for "overbuilt" Lexus/Toyotas? (or even other brands)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 09:22 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theoretically couldn't the LFA be potentially the most "overbuilt" Lexus since it has ten years worth of research and design?
Old 10-23-10, 09:37 AM
WAES300
Driver

The 22RE in the older Toyota trucks are indestructible... Whenever we get one in on trade or something, it's always running, guaranteed. They always have a gazillion miles on them as well!
Old 10-23-10, 10:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Theoretically couldn't the LFA be potentially the most "overbuilt" Lexus since it has ten years worth of research and design?
Indeed. I would undoubtedly consider it the most overbuilt car in history.

Because not only is it built to the quality standards of Lexus (which no other sports car ever has been), it's a Lexus engineered to handle its immense horsepower and the performance demands that go along with it.

Essentially, the LFA will most certainly prove to be the first reliable supercar.

Remember the story recently about the guy who sold his life away to buy a Lambo Gallardo? He's like one of the only supercar buyers to actually drive the thing into the ground (cross country road trips, ect.). It only lasted to about 95,000 miles and the engine crapped out which would be astronomically expensive to even fix, so he couldn't. 95K is nothing on any typical car today, yet on a Lambo with mostly normal driving conditions can't even do it. The car's supposed to be built for 200mph pressure. Guess it can't take extended 80mph spins.

I bet if someone wanted to use the LFA as a daily driver, I bet it could easily do 200K+.
Old 10-23-10, 10:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Then again, the original Lexus LS400 took the same amount of time to develop (or at least about 8 years) which was completely unprecedented. Hence its success.
Old 10-23-10, 11:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Then again, the original Lexus LS400 took the same amount of time to develop (or at least about 8 years) which was completely unprecedented. Hence its success.
i remember reading first review of LS400 in Autobild. As much as I remember "bad, bland copy of Mercedes. Drives like a boat. Uses interior switches from Corolla, etc, etc."
Old 10-23-10, 11:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i remember reading first review of LS400 in Autobild. As much as I remember "bad, bland copy of Mercedes. Drives like a boat. Uses interior switches from Corolla, etc, etc."
It never used switchs from a Corolla, LOL. The switchgear in the '90 LS400 made the '90 S-class switchgear look horrid in comparison.

And we all know that Mercedes is the one that later copied the LS. The S-Class from the period looked 20 years old sitting next to the LS.

Obviously, Autobild didn't know anything about cars.
Old 10-23-10, 10:01 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

From what I read, Newsweek or Business Week, Hyaundai is requesting parts suppliers to create lifetime parts while Honda and Toyota are only requesting 150,000 mile quality parts.

So I would say the Sonatas you see today will be here longer than today's Camrys.

I only buy and own Honda's and Toyota's built in the 90's in Japan. Every single one has been rock solid. RX300, 90 Honda Accord, 97 Civic (still driving this one), 91 MR2.

The 3S-GTE and 2JZ-GTE were bullet proof in their time, vastly over built.
Old 10-23-10, 10:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
From what I read, Newsweek or Business Week, Hyaundai is requesting parts suppliers to create lifetime parts while Honda and Toyota are only requesting 150,000 mile quality parts.
That's very disappointing if true. It reminds of what got the American auto makers in so much trouble. Not worry about their suppliers and the quality of the components, just tell them to make it "good enough" to last a bit after the warranty expires. And if that supplier had a problem or quality issue, the Big 3 would tell them to fix it or we'll get it somewhere else. Toyota became who they are in part because they worked with their suppliers, not against them.
I only buy and own Honda's and Toyota's built in the 90's in Japan.
These are the cars to get. Extremely reliable and low cost/mile. Good gas mileage as well. The only real downside is safety, they are not as safe as a new car. But the quality is there, including the interior materials, they never seem to wear out or show scuffs and scratches.

For the most overbuilt vehicle, I would say the LS400, or any Land Cruiser.