Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Notes from Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 07:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
And 1SICKLEX, you would love the place. Barely anything larger than an Audi A6 on most roads. Interestingly I see very few large flagship saloons here. (A8, S-class, 7s etc). They seem much more plentiful in the states. More soon.
Thanks. Think you planned the next trip out the country.

Originally Posted by Och
In my hometown, Gomel, the females are even more stunning then Kiev. In fact, I think they are the most stunning in the world. They are all fashionable - high heels, dresses, skirts, tight jeans, etc. It is just insane how gorgeous they all are, and they look at you a lot more direct than they do in the USA. In the USA you'll barely notice if a girl has glanced at you, but in Gomel I make eye contact all the time. They are also very easy to start a conversation with, so make sure you travel without your significant half

As far as cars go, this is a small city without much economy, so most cars here are rather old. A lot of older European, Japanese and Russian cars. However there are some well to do people, and they drive properly expensive cars. BMW seems to be the number one choice for them - I saw a lot of 750's, X5's and X6's. Lexus and Merc are about equal - a lot of RX, LS, S and E class. Again, no lowly poseur models - ie ES, C class, etc.

There are virtually no fat people there, and no fat chicks. And chicks love the show off what they got. Despite the cold weather, a lot of them walk around in mini skirts and high heels. There are a lot of universities in the city center, so there are a lot of young, gorgeous females. If I wasn't such a good husband and wasn't faithful to my
wife, I'd probably stay there for a long while
lol thanks for the posts and feedback as well. Love this thread

Old 10-27-10, 08:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few pics would be nice, w/o fatties too, lol .
Old 10-29-10, 05:51 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back home again. Had a wonderful trip. Here are some pics (I think I took over 500). These are from Spain and England. My pics from Munich are on a separate SD card which I can't seem to find since I've unpacked. Praying it turns up.

I must admit that my wife and I like to eat our way through the places we visit so food is important. First the food-o-album.

View from our rented villa in Moraira Spain.

Beautiful Spanish coast.

The Ford Focus we rented. Was OK to drive. Diesel. Got wacky mileage on this. More on that later.

Paella. A national dish of Spain.

Dinner.

These shrimp were beyond any I've had before. Sweet and tasting of the sea.

Langoustinos. These babies were probably started out swimming in the ocean on the day that they had the misfortune of meeting me.

Sardines. Forget about the smelly, oily things in cans. These are the real deal and they're delicious.

These came compliments of the house.

In Calpe there's an Argentinian Steak house which serves the best steak I've ever had in my life. 10 minutes later this was an empty plate.

Home style Italian done right.

Pasta e Fagiole. Authentic.

Spaghetti Bolognese, and finally...

A proper British fry-up. I love everything except the beans.
Old 10-29-10, 06:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Paella. A national dish of Spain." Yummy, now I'm hungry.
Old 10-29-10, 06:32 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Now for some cars.

A Nissan Figaro. Neat little car.

A BMW X1 in traffic.

Typical car park in Calpe.

We all know what this is. The little "D" in the lower left corner means this car came from Germany.

Not far from the Ferrari was this. Forgot what it's called.

A little Mercedes A class.

An Alpha.

Assorted UK cars in a car park.

Nissan Micra. Saw tons of these.

Euro Civic. Not bad.

Scirocco. These always managed to catch my eye.

Don't know what this is but it looked sharp to me.

Jag.

Ford Kuga. These really looked nice. Almost premium.

Jeep Grand Cherokee. Saw a good number of these.

And what do we have here? While just a few feet away...

By far, the most common Lexus to be seen in Europe and the UK. By the end of our trip I'd had seen dozens of RXs.

There were several other cars which I saw pass which I couldn't snap off which were more interesting than most of these. I still have some nice shots on my missing Germany card.

Petrol. This works out to be about 8 bucks a gallon at current exchange rates. I drove the diesel Ford in Spain for over 250 miles at least and barely used half a tank. Now I understand. Face it. Diesels sound awful but for the fuel return I think I could live with it. Europe is already where America can't see itself ever being. That's why the cars are so space and engine efficient.

My friend's 25 year old daughter's Ford Ka which she affectionately calls "The Bubble". She's a very fashionable and attractive young lady and she proudly drives around in this.

So that's the show folks. Hope you enjoyed it.
Old 10-29-10, 10:06 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Very nice pictures, thanks again.
Old 10-30-10, 03:13 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

The blue "unidentified" car from above is Opel/Vauxhall Astra.
Old 10-30-10, 05:37 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DFGeneer
The blue "unidentified" car from above is Opel/Vauxhall Astra.
Yeah, you're right - it' the 3 door version of the previous model. The current model only features a 5 door in the line up, with the new 3 door coming next year.

The little Nissan Figaro is a Japanese import. It's a low volume model, made in Japan, and based on a Nissan Micra (old model) chassis. It's quite a retro/cult little thing and you see a few about in those old fashioned colours.

The black, old fashioned roadster is a Morgan, I believe. They make them down in the west country.

You see a lot of Nissan Micras about because they are made in the UK and popular with old people. Likewise, the Honda Civic, which is built in Swindon.

The little Ford Ka was a tremendous success for Ford in Europe and when it was launched, must be 12 years or so ago. I remember it being hailed as the true sucessor to the mini, in as much as it was cheap to buy, handled really well, could carry 4 people and its simple engineering made maintenance cheap. A neighbour of mine has a nice little sideline in buying Ford Kas from the newspaper classifieds, giving them a bit of spit and polish, servicing them, and selling them onto parents looking for a first car for their kids. He seems to knock out at least 1 week through Autotrader.
The new Ford Ka is based on the same platform as the FIAT 500 and built in Poland and hasn't been nearly as successful, with most people opting for it's more fashionable cousin.
Old 10-30-10, 06:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I wanted to go to Paris this summer, but the exchange rate kills all the fun. The last time I was in Europe, it was $100 = €79
Old 10-30-10, 07:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pics!

Makes me wanna go on vacation just to eat!
Old 10-30-10, 08:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I wanted to go to Paris this summer, but the exchange rate kills all the fun. The last time I was in Europe, it was $100 = €79
I got lucked out, I had yuros left over from several years back when exchange rate was more or less one to one.
Old 10-30-10, 09:33 AM
dustinbray
Driver

i live in europe. what part of germany are you going to SPEEDFLEX? im stationed here with the army. i highly suggest (if you havent already been) prague! that place is europes hidden jewel! there is a lexus dealership in prague...

Old 10-30-10, 10:09 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dustinbray
i live in europe. what part of germany are you going to SPEEDFLEX? im stationed here with the army. i highly suggest (if you havent already been) prague! that place is europes hidden jewel! there is a lexus dealership in prague...
Agreed.

Prague is an incredible city, the most beautiful big city I've been to (twice). I was fortunate to have been there for New Year's '92/'93, the night it split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. There were hundreds of thousands of people celebrating and partying unlike anything I've seen before. Being a part of world history was very cool.
Old 10-30-10, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to go to Prague, but then the plans have changed, and I visited three other countries instead.

I still want to go to Prague, and hopefully will be able to go there next year. I want to visit the original Sweik bar :-P

Last edited by Och; 10-30-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-30-10, 12:56 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dustinbray

I was in Munich for 3 days. I kept hearing about Prague and Budapest as places to see but I'll have to do those next go round. I was also told that they are a couple of great cities where the dollar gets good value so hotels and food are relatively cheap. Of course the Euro still values higher than the US buck.

Quick Reply: Quick Notes from Europe