Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Notes from Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 01:39 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Notes from Europe (Pics added)

Hi Gang. I'm currently vacationing in Europe and am enjoying the car sightings here. Right now in the UK. Spent last week in Spain and will be in Germany in a couple of days. First observation (This is my third trip to Europe) is that everything is small by US standards, diesels are commonplace, and drivers are just as erratic and bad as in the states. I did drive in Spain since they are right-hand drive and the experience was none too different from home. I only had a rental (Ford Focus) but drove some wickedly twisted roads along the Spanish coast... think tangled snake and you get the idea.

But I've enjoyed seeing all the Citroens, Peugots, Renaults, Opals, Vauxhalls, Fords and so forth which are the bread and butter of the European roads. Occasionally seeing something really interesting like the Peugot coupe which looks like an Audi TT. Actually it looks more appealing than the TT. Sorry I'm not being more specific about model names but I am on vacation. And I do have pictures but but can't upload till I get home.

Seen the odd Ferrari around, Lotus, etc. It may interest some to know of the Lexus presence here. Count is exactly this so far... seen 2 RXs, 2 ISs, 1 GS. So far no LSs. Surprisingly I've seen 3 Infiniti FXs tooling about. Most common American models I've noticed... Ford F-series pickups and Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Will write more later.

One tip... If you're in Great Britain and you're flying out to Europe, avoid Stanstead airport. Awful place which treats passengers like cattle.

Last edited by speedflex; 10-29-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lucky!

Enjoy your trip. POST PICS!!!
Old 10-25-10, 10:30 AM
LexFather

lol at the cattle comment

Thanks for sharing have fun, thanks for the updates.

Old 10-25-10, 10:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to more of your observations. The best way to get the European automotive experience is via actual visitations, much appreciated.

Be safe and enjoy!
Old 10-25-10, 11:08 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The Spanish, Italians and French generally are not as disciplined as Dutch, German, Belgian, Swiss and Austrian drivers. You shouldn't confuse the driving habits of the Spaniards with those of other European countries.

The "Audi TT" Peugeot you've spotted is the RCZ, a gorgeous vehicle. I'd take this over a Z4, SLK, TT any day based solely on appearance.

Interior shot:
http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...ior-img_10.jpg
Old 10-26-10, 01:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

when i was in italy i got honked on for stopping on deep red light
Old 10-26-10, 01:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
The Spanish, Italians and French generally are not as disciplined as Dutch, German, Belgian, Swiss and Austrian drivers. You shouldn't confuse the driving habits of the Spaniards with those of other European countries.

The "Audi TT" Peugeot you've spotted is the RCZ, a gorgeous vehicle. I'd take this over a Z4, SLK, TT any day based solely on appearance.

Interior shot:
http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...ior-img_10.jpg
That's it! The one I saw was black and it was stunning.

Nissan Micras and Quashquis are all over the place. The Euro Honda Civic is a much cooler looker than the stateside version. And 1SICKLEX, you would love the place. Barely anything larger than an Audi A6 on most roads. Interestingly I see very few large flagship saloons here. (A8, S-class, 7s etc). They seem much more plentiful in the states. More soon.
Old 10-26-10, 10:38 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Do you only need an international drivers license to drive in Europe? Do you have to prove you know how to drive a manual too?
Old 10-26-10, 10:43 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how much of Europe you're seeing but

Germany - don't hog the passing lane, you'll regret it when the 911 flashes you and bears down at 120mph
France - drivers were surprisingly good
Italy - lane markers are suggestions, nothing more

Stansted does suck, in the UK there are two classes of service: 1) expensive and 2) unacceptable
Old 10-26-10, 03:52 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Raralith
Do you only need an international drivers license to drive in Europe?
I was allowed to drive in Germany for six months with my US drivers license. After that I had to earn my German drivers license by going through their driving school training. It was pretty tough to be honest and very detailed compared to the rather loose training I received back in the day. Drivers here are really drilled to follow and understand the rules and drive intelligently.

I passed, thankfully, and now I have German drivers license despite being an American citizen.

I have to confess, though, I don't know all the signs or rules since they simply have to many of them here!

Do you have to prove you know how to drive a manual too?
If you don't know how to operate and drive a manual-tranmissioned car, your license will say so appropriately. This means that you can only drive cars with an automatic transmission.

I think most people here can drive a manual, but automatics are becoming really popular simply because of convenience, increased traffic and because they're becoming more efficient in regards to fuel consumption etc.
Old 10-27-10, 04:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Do you only need an international drivers license to drive in Europe? Do you have to prove you know how to drive a manual too?
It's easy. I got an international permit through AAA which lasts one year for 15 bucks. No test, no questions. You just show your passport and driver's license and they take your picture. You need to carry both your US license and the permit with you when you drive.

You don't have to prove you know how to drive a manual but it does help to know how to drive a one since you're likely to find more of them when renting. I had one but I know how to drive a manual anyway.

The thing you need to get the hang of is roundabouts. There is a protocol for how to drive on these but they really are effective at keeping traffic moving. Wish they had them in the states but Americans would probably abuse them... plus our road system is too grid-based.

BTW, In Germany now and leave for home tomorrow.

Last edited by speedflex; 10-27-10 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 02:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It just happens so that I'm also vacationing in Yurope. I visited Kiev - the capital of Ukraine, Gomel - small city in Belarus where I was born, and right now I'm stationed in Paris.

My first impressions are from Kiev. Its been good 20 years since I've last been there, and the city has changed a lot. The females are seriously stunning, and people in general are very tall. I'm 6'-4" myself, and I felt just about average. There are tons of people that are easily 6'-6 and up. Did I mention the females are ridiculously stunning? If you're traveling with your special someone, better wear shades, so she can't see your eyes staring all over.

Now onto the cars. First of all, the driving style there is very aggressive. I was going to rent a car there, and I'm glad I didn't. The driving is too aggressive, and rules of the road seem a lot more complex than USA. Also there isn't much respect for pedestrians. Try crossing the street where you aren't supposed, and you will get ran over. A lot of streets can only be crossed through underground crosswalks, which is terrible and inconvenient for pedestrians. Also, they don't park on the side of the road, but rather right on the sidewalk, which is just ridiculous. Some sidewalks are so narrow that you can't even walk because of the parked cars.

There are cars from all over the world there, including Japan, USA, Korea, Germany, France. There are even old English cars on the roads (Rovers) and still quite a bit of Ladas and other Russian makes. I specifically found a cabbie with a Lada to get a ride for fun. The thing felt like it was going to fall apart any moment - miserable car.

There weren't any diesels on the roads. I asked a cab driver about diesels, and he said they aren't popular because the quality of diesel fuel in Ukraine is terrible.

As far as Lexus goes, things are just insane over there. There are literally tons of RX, at least as common as they are in NYC. Then you have LX, LC, Prado/GX which are at least three times more common than they are in NYC. It seems that LS is also very popular, and I've seen a fair amount of GS and IS riding around. Whats funny, is that I only saw one ES in a parking lot of the airport, right before I left. Mind you, most Lexus models I've seen there are brand new, current generation. It is clear people there LOVE Lexus, and go for the expensive models, not the cheap ES.

Here's some pics I snapped in a parking zone.

Did I mention the females are stunning?
Attached Thumbnails Quick Notes from Europe-p1010046.jpg   Quick Notes from Europe-p1010047.jpg  
Old 10-27-10, 02:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

In my hometown, Gomel, the females are even more stunning then Kiev. In fact, I think they are the most stunning in the world. They are all fashionable - high heels, dresses, skirts, tight jeans, etc. It is just insane how gorgeous they all are, and they look at you a lot more direct than they do in the USA. In the USA you'll barely notice if a girl has glanced at you, but in Gomel I make eye contact all the time. They are also very easy to start a conversation with, so make sure you travel without your significant half

As far as cars go, this is a small city without much economy, so most cars here are rather old. A lot of older European, Japanese and Russian cars. However there are some well to do people, and they drive properly expensive cars. BMW seems to be the number one choice for them - I saw a lot of 750's, X5's and X6's. Lexus and Merc are about equal - a lot of RX, LS, S and E class. Again, no lowly poseur models - ie ES, C class, etc.

There are virtually no fat people there, and no fat chicks. And chicks love the show off what they got. Despite the cold weather, a lot of them walk around in mini skirts and high heels. There are a lot of universities in the city center, so there are a lot of young, gorgeous females. If I wasn't such a good husband and wasn't faithful to my wife, I'd probably stay there for a long while
Old 10-27-10, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Now that I'm in Paris, things are a lot more similar to the USA. Paris is pretty much a lot like Manhattan, but without skyscrappers, and a lot of old, beautiful Architecture. There aren't as many fat chicks as we have in the USA, but most of them aren't all that hot. They wear a lot of make up and are dressed rather casual.

The cars driving around here are French for the most part. Mostly Peugeots, Renaults, and Citroens. Not far behind are Germans - tons of Mercs, Bimmers, Audis and VWs. English cars are less common but there are a fair amount of them on the roads - Jags, Range Rovers, Astons.

Japanese cars are very few, and out of Japanese the only ones I see are Toyota and Lexus, and mostly hybrids. Most Toyotas are Priuses, most Lexus and RX and LS hybrids. Just today I saw three LS600h's - this is probably more than I see in NYC in a month. Haven't seen a single Honda, and only saw one Nissan. Also there are a few weird Toyotas that we don't have in the USA.

Haven't seen a single Haiyondie, Kiya, or any other Korean make.

Also, most cars are diesels, and the air on the streets smells of exhaust fumes. I'm sure glad diesel cars aren't very popular in the US - with the amount of cars in NYC it could quickly become unbearable to breathe.

It is clear the French automakers benefit from the protectionism. Quite frankly, US should do the same instead of letting everyone and their mother sell here without import taxes.

P.S.

Design of some Peugeots is rather stunning. They are kind of Aston Martingly Audish, and look awesome.
Old 10-27-10, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

as much as i know there is no protectionism in eu anymore when it comes to cars, especially if they are produced in EU... which is why many asian companies have factories in EU (just like in USA).

it is just that french prefer their cars, german theirs, etc, etc, must be all the wars and all

Quick Reply: Quick Notes from Europe