Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT: 1. Toyota Sienna SE, 2. Honda Odyssey EX-L 3. Dodge Caravan SXT

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 11:31 PM
LexFather

Post MT: 1. Toyota Sienna SE, 2. Honda Odyssey EX-L 3. Dodge Caravan SXT

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
1st Place: Toyota Sienna SE
Brilliant (for a minivan) driving dynamics and intelligent second- and third-row packaging make for the smartest choice. The good looks don't hurt its case.

2nd Place: Honda Odyssey EX-L
The rich interior isn't enough to make up for this giant's doldrums driving dynamics or goofy exterior treatment. Interior packaging isn't as good as in the Toyota, either.

3rd Place: Dodge Caravan SXT
Stow 'n' Go is still good enough to let this otherwise dated Dodge play with the big boys. A refresh is coming, and not a minute too soon.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz13XQKll32

Funny they said what I said about the 6 speed auto

You can get an Odyssey with a six-speed, but you still can't choose your own gears, and it's available only in the Odyssey Touring, which starts at $41,535. I won't say who said it, but one editor opined, "Honda needs to pull its head out of its *** and offer [the six-speed automatic] across the board."

Old 10-27-10, 12:20 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the new Odyssey recently on the road.

It's just as ugly as it is in pics.
Old 10-27-10, 03:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Here's why: The Odyssey's high-tech, VVT 3.5-liter V-6 with cylinder deactivation managed 21.1 mpg over 11 laps of our roughly 30-mile mixed driving loop. The Toyota Sienna, meanwhile, with its comparatively low-tech (i.e., no cylinder deactivation), 3.5-liter V-6, managed 21.3 mpg. And the Toyota makes 17 more horsepower than the Honda, 265 compared with 248. Equipped with the six-speed and cylinder deactivation, the Odyssey would have likely added 1 mpg (as the Touring does in city and highway EPA ratings).

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz13YTDjo1Q
Toyota needs to learn how to optimize their transmissions for EPA tests, who cares what people say, everyone is doing it.
Old 10-27-10, 04:01 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's 2010 and they're still withholding 6 speed transmissions?

the swagger wagon is the best looking of the bunch, hands down.
Old 10-27-10, 06:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Sienna
0-60 in 7.1 seconds
1/4 mile in 15.4 @92.6MPH
60-0 in 121 feet
Lateral accel. .74g

Minivans have reeeeeeally come a long way.
Old 10-27-10, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Here IL picks the Oddy over the Sienna.

You will notice both reviews basically call it a tie and barely pick one over the other. They seem to like both.

Of note to me was the fact MT likes how the Sienna SE handles over the Oddy but IL likes how the Oddy handles over the Sienna XLE.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/odys...ison-test.html

Old 10-27-10, 07:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

The IL one doesn't have any suspension bits does it?
Old 10-27-10, 07:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irregardless as to my bias to the Sienna ()... drive all 3 back-to-back and then sit in them and play with all the features, it will still come out this way:

1. Sienna
2. Odyssey
3. Caravan

Then OWN them and this will happen:

1. Sienna

2. Odyssey

3. Caravan

The Swagger Wagon rules
Old 10-27-10, 07:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah!

Old 10-27-10, 08:52 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw the Odyssey on the street the other day in the dark red... not as bad looking as a white one. I am interested to discover the interior material, fit and finish of the new Odyssey.

As for the Sienna, too bad I have to ditch it for its sub par interior quality. The Sienna SE has a killer look for a minivan though... too bad.
Old 10-27-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have to take issue with some of the statements in the article (not with you, Mike, but what the editors put in). First, their statement that the VW Routan is a rebadged Dodge Caravan is not true. The Routan does use the Chrysler platform (you can see that in the plant-stamping badges attached to it), but the entire body/interior and equipment on it are markedly different. Second, they are wrong when they say that the Korean minivans (Hyundai Entourage and Kia Sedona) are not competitive. They (arguably) give you more for your money than either the Sienna or Odyssey, and gavenally have better quality/reliability than the comparably-priced Dodge Caravan. And, unless I just missed it in the article somewhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong) , the author did not mention a VERY important point....the Sienna is the only North-American-market minivan available with optional AWD, a big selling-point.
Old 10-27-10, 10:11 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The Sienna SE is the best looking minivan, hands down. I saw the new Oddy at the OC autoshow and it didn't look terrible.
Old 10-27-10, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Irregardless as to my bias to the Sienna ()... drive all 3 back-to-back and then sit in them and play with all the features, it will still come out this way:
hey Russ, were a dying breed

If odyssey removed that zigzag line and have a crease that goes from the power door track all the way to the front (like the old model), it won't look as bad. Or, just stick the damn track under the 3rd window like what everyone is doing.

I do give credit the 2nd row middle seat-it's bigger than the pathetic sienna

Originally Posted by memasterac
I just saw the Odyssey on the street the other day in the dark red... not as bad looking as a white one. I am interested to discover the interior material, fit and finish of the new Odyssey.

As for the Sienna, too bad I have to ditch it for its sub par interior quality. The Sienna SE has a killer look for a minivan though... too bad.
We still have an 06 in our household and when I get back in it, it feels so ancient. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about the subpar quality on the new???

toyota did cheap out on the standard options over the last gen:
1) took out powered 3 window
2) took out homelink

in return, back up camera, alloy wheels, projector headlights, and other little touches are standard

yes, they use the hard material like the 1st gen venza and one area of the radio have a 1/16" lift (been meaning to post pictures but most don't care about minivans), it's still good quality (better than the domestic quality)

I had a caravan as a rental and it wasn't bad. Much improved over the previous gen
Old 10-27-10, 10:25 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

And what is with the piano black side mirror covers on the Honda?

Anyways, Im interested in the before and after sales numbers for the Ody
Old 10-27-10, 11:45 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
hey Russ, were a dying breed

...I do give credit the 2nd row middle seat-it's bigger than the pathetic sienna
We are

And I did a 4-hour roundtrip 2 weeks ago in a 2011 XLE... PLENTY of space for me 5'10" in 2nd row AND 6'2" guy in 3rd row... had my legs fairly stretched... plan to replace our 05 with another one day when needed with either SE or AWD XLE or Limited

Quick Reply: MT: 1. Toyota Sienna SE, 2. Honda Odyssey EX-L 3. Dodge Caravan SXT