Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would you use an iPhone app in place of your key fob?
Absolutely
30.30%
Probably
7.58%
Maybe
22.73%
No Way
39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Would you use an iPhone app that replaced your Key Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 04:29 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you guys already said every point i had to make. LOL! Yeah its a big gimmick to have to play around and show off with. Even might come in hand with emergencies but on a everyday basis its to cumbersome. You already have Smart key, the Viper system and similar technologies that makes this useless imo. Great back up to lost keys but some cars you still will need a main, programed key to even drive off. Lot of negatives to go against this. Need more positives. I applaud your effort tho OP!
Old 10-28-10, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

nice idea. the viper implementation is ridiculously expensive ($399 + service contract). fail.
Old 10-28-10, 05:48 PM
FrayKay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the feedback guys. Just to answer a few questions, we're aware of the Viper remote, and we're trying to build a product that would compete with them, but have all of the factory remote functions that your current key has.

I agree there is a a problem of the battery dying, and we're working on a solution.

Also, it would function as your factory remote, which means that you would NOT have to take out your phone to unlock your vehicle, you could keep the phone in your pocket, just like your keys.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback!!! This is just a concept, so we're trying to determine what consumers would utilize.

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-10, 05:53 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

interesting.

And some how, the app would keep working on your phone and transmit the signal 24/7? I think it would be a big hit if it was marketed as a vehicle status indicator, telling you if the doors are unlocked, if the windows are open, how much gas it has, and let you correct some of those functions. As a plus, it could also open doors hands free, but I think most people would keep their keys with them anyways.
Old 10-28-10, 08:01 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FrayKay
I appreciate the feedback guys. Just to answer a few questions, we're aware of the Viper remote, and we're trying to build a product that would compete with them, but have all of the factory remote functions that your current key has.

I agree there is a a problem of the battery dying, and we're working on a solution.

Also, it would function as your factory remote, which means that you would NOT have to take out your phone to unlock your vehicle, you could keep the phone in your pocket, just like your keys.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback!!! This is just a concept, so we're trying to determine what consumers would utilize.

Thanks again!
The GPS function of the "Drone" is pretty nice. Knowing whether the car is running, locked or unlocked is helpful. Feedback action took place.

Receiving notifications would be essential.
Old 10-29-10, 09:00 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FrayKay
To raise another point regarding this, the OEM key fob can be opened to reveal a physical key, in case the battery dies.

I'm kind of curious as to the technology limitations here, though. I'm aware of bluetooth proximity detection, but how would the phone be able to use this with the car off? It would have to include various zones of entry, and features like the memory seats (2 fobs can have different settings, for example)...plus, AFAIK, the code information can't really be released by the dealer.

In general, I'd say quite a few hurdles exist in the way of my interest in a phone app (I'd hope you'd be looking to develop for Android, too). Of course this could change, depending on how things develop.
Old 11-26-10, 06:23 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A network security engineer says NO.
Old 11-26-10, 08:13 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
sounds likes its solving a problem that doesnt exist
That is the beauty of the iphone.
Nobody needed that phone.
yet everybody and their sister is using it!
Old 11-26-10, 12:26 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Blackberry maybe, iPhone hell no. It's just not secure enough.
Old 11-28-10, 04:56 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use an iPhone app as a back up to my key fob, but not as a replacement to it.
Old 11-28-10, 09:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I would never make my iPhone as my key fob because I would always be scared that i would lose it and become screwed
Old 11-29-10, 08:11 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Been there...done that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...at-we-did.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FkqjE3KGR4
Old 11-29-10, 07:55 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phones tend to have a high tendency of getting dropped/wet/broken/lost, so no, I would not want a phone to replace a key fob.
Old 11-29-10, 08:56 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since i always have my keys on me because my keys are attached to other things i probably wouldnt need this app.

however, if the app told me if my car is unlock and where my car is at all time, then i would 100% get the app.