Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would you consider a 'Luxury Styled' car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 12:58 PM
04Caddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIP is as luxury as it gets
Old 10-28-10, 01:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

luxury styled: generous use of chrome
Old 10-28-10, 01:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I believe he was refering to the 2nd gen(98-05) GS series. If your squared off all the curves on that GS, WAH LA!! you would have the Altima and Maxima.
I don't find the Altima/Maxima to really look anything like the second generation GS and doubt that is what he was talking about. I have never heard someone mistake a 2nd GS for a Altima/Maxima or vice versa or say they look even similar. When I see them they just don't seem to have anything in common with the 2nd Gen GS aside from maybe the Maxima having a fuller thicker rear end area like the 2nd Gen had but the 2nd gen GS was not the first sedan with a fuller rear end window area.

I have heard several people say there is a similarity between the styling of the 3rd Gen GS and Altima/Maxima, read it in some reviews too. The 3rd Gen has the slimmer fastback styling similar to the Altima/Maxima with longer more sloped front ends where the 2nd Gen GS has more traditional sedan proportions in the rear with a stubbier front end.

When I was considering buying a 3rd Gen GS after having my 2nd Gen for a short time I remember people with me saying the 3rd Gen looked similar to the Altima that was out which I agreed. I found the W210 Mercedes E class at the time to be somewhat similar in style to the 2nd Gen GS although they were also very different in ways. I have heard people mistake my 2nd Gen GS for a Mercedes due to both being somewhat thicker proportioned with the dual front circular lights.
Old 10-28-10, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SWGrinda
Well it popped up with one of my friends.. We were talking about cars and he knows I own a 2GS and I was telling him that I love it mainly because it's a luxury car. It's just beautiful plain and simple and he states that he'd love to try and make his car (Altima) look as luxurious as possible.. Just nicer than what it is stock I guess and he was asking me what I thought would help it up into the category of being 'Luxurious' and I was kind of just like..

Didn't really know how to answer to that, so was j/w if anyone else had any info on trying to reach this 'style' I guess you can say..

And seems like 1SICKLEX summed it up for me
Thanks SWGrinda.

Udel instead of posting to argue with me maybe read the actual thread? The OP said I summed it up well and the OP even states he has an ALTIMA and he wants to make it look luxurious. Its right there and would have saved a lot of typing. No coincidence the OP has a 2GS and the friend an Altima.

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I believe he was refering to the 2nd gen(98-05) GS series. If your squared off all the curves on that GS, WAH LA!! you would have the Altima and Maxima.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by UDel
How can the Altima(3rd Gen) and last(6th gen) Maxima be Lexus GS styled when the 3rd Gen Lexus GS that looks so similar came AFTER those cars came out? There is no way Nissan could have copied the GS when the 3rd Generation Lexus GS was not even out when those cars came out, if anything Lexus took ques from the Altima/Maxima in the GS styling because those cars came out well before the 3rd Gen GS.

-The last or 6th generation Maxima is a 2004-2008 model.
-The 3rd Gen Altima is a 2002-2006 model
-The 3rd Gen GS is a 2006-present model

The Altima was out around 4 years before the GS, the Maxima was out 2 years before the current GS.
Originally Posted by UDel
I don't find the Altima/Maxima to really look anything like the second generation GS and doubt that is what he was talking about. I have never heard someone mistake a 2nd GS for a Altima/Maxima or vice versa or say they look even similar. When I see them they just don't seem to have anything in common with the 2nd Gen GS aside from maybe the Maxima having a fuller thicker rear end area like the 2nd Gen had but the 2nd gen GS was not the first sedan with a fuller rear end window area.

I have heard several people say there is a similarity between the styling of the 3rd Gen GS and Altima/Maxima, read it in some reviews too. The 3rd Gen has the slimmer fastback styling similar to the Altima/Maxima with longer more sloped front ends where the 2nd Gen GS has more traditional sedan proportions in the rear with a stubbier front end.

When I was considering buying a 3rd Gen GS after having my 2nd Gen for a short time I remember people with me saying the 3rd Gen looked similar to the Altima that was out which I agreed. I found the W210 Mercedes E class at the time to be somewhat similar in style to the 2nd Gen GS although they were also very different in ways. I have heard people mistake my 2nd Gen GS for a Mercedes due to both being somewhat thicker proportioned with the dual front circular lights.
This has been stated multiple times before YEARS ago. Not some new revelation. The 2GS is probably the most influential Japanese sedan design in recent memory.
Short hood
Rounded roofline
Short deck
Short overhangs
circular turn signals in headlights
Dual exhaust
3 pod dash
sculted wood on dash
yellow fogs (models with HIDs)
sculpted quad rear lights

Plenty of Altima/Maxima guys remark and have "luxury styled" their car after the GS with staggered wheels, yellow fogs etc. Many will admit the similarities. Many will tell you "I love the GS, didn't have the money for it, modeled my car after the GS".

When the 3GS debuted Lexus being a proper luxury brand didn't just ditch styling cues of the previous GS models but incorporated 1GS and 2GS styling cues into the L-finesse design.

By that time multiple vehicles took the GS styling theme and put their own take on it and the overall shape became very familiar.

Old 10-28-10, 05:10 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

To me luxury styled car must be four door sedan. They need to be large with shiny meticulous paint. Better with a chrome front grille with a prestigious badge hanging on it. Rims need to be sufficiently large. The headlights must be HIDs or LEDs equipped. The body of the car can not be too round, better be a bit angular with crease lines here and there. Not too much spotiness in the exterior styling otherwise I would think of it as a sport sedan instead.
Old 10-28-10, 06:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Luxury styled as in upscale???? Cause I already have one. 100% leather seats, moonroof, plastic woodtrim. Upscale, but a far cry from luxury.
Old 10-29-10, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SWGrinda
I've been wondering this.. We got DUB styled, VIP, VIP Inspired, Sport, etc..

So what would make a car 'Luxury Styled'?
anything not Tier 1

yeah, like everyone else mentioned, sounds like a made up name

heck, acura calls themself "smart luxury"
Old 10-29-10, 10:16 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Luxury Styled'

any and all things Hyundai
Old 10-29-10, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still trying to figure out VIP .........
Old 10-29-10, 01:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
To me luxury styled car must be four door sedan. They need to be large with shiny meticulous paint. Better with a chrome front grille with a prestigious badge hanging on it. Rims need to be sufficiently large. The headlights must be HIDs or LEDs equipped. The body of the car can not be too round, better be a bit angular with crease lines here and there. Not too much spotiness in the exterior styling otherwise I would think of it as a sport sedan instead.
Are you refering to my car mister?
Old 10-29-10, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What would you consider a 'Luxury Styled' car?
I think it depends on who you ask, and what age they grew up in. For guys my age, a traditional "luxury" car meant 17-20 ft in length, a 126-129" wheelbase, a big torque-heavy V8 using premium-fuel, a butter-smooth drivetain (big 60's-era Buicks had especially-smooth transmissions), 4500-5500 lbs. of weight, a hood ornament, whitewall tires, gobs of sound insulation in the body, living-room-sofa-soft bench seats, a floating-ride over bumps, a trunk big enough to hold a compact car, and, in some cases, a nice padded-vinyl roof.

Of course, that was some time ago. But that is what some people (mostly those 60 and older) still want in a luxury-car, but they are largely being ignored by today's automakers.

To be honest, I like some of that myself.....but I also appreciate the importance of good handling, good gas mileage, and AWD winter traction.....things that the old magic-carpet-ride luxo-barges simply couldn't deliver on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 07:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't even agree that Tier 1 is even the threshold for being "true" luxury anymore. If you consider BMW, MB, Audi and Lexus the four Tier 1 brands....there is zero chance I'd consider an A3, X1, 328, C230, or GLK an actual luxury vehicle.

My thought is that if you have to even contemplate if your vehicle is "luxury styled" it isn't true luxury.