Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ever retaliate for a door ding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 03:08 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I plead the fifth...
Yeah, what he said.
Old 11-03-10, 04:37 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its only fair they get some sand, scratch, or a ding of there own if they did it and don't even care that they did... unless I could get if repaired with no $$$ out of my pocket then I would reconsider retaliation.
Old 11-04-10, 07:30 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm in the same boat as everyone being concerned about my car doors. However, allot of other people don't share the same concerns and therefore will think we are crazy if we ask for their insurance info. to get the doors repaired.

I'm thinking to have some a layer of that clear bra on the side to have it soak up as much dings as possible, then reapply if necessary. That's my thoughts on this.
Old 11-04-10, 07:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if its blatantly obvious that the car next to me did it. then u sure bet their whole door skin is going to be kicked in multiple times.
Old 11-04-10, 08:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Retaliate? Never.
I just learn my lesson and make sure that I "discriminate" people based upon their vehicle, their appearance, their ethnicity and the number of kids they have and then try NOT to park to a vehicle whose owner matches this criteria.
Old 11-04-10, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
if its blatantly obvious that the car next to me did it. then u sure bet their whole door skin is going to be kicked in multiple times.
Better think twice about that. You may not know whose car it is......or if he just happens to see you do it.

Old 11-04-10, 01:23 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

"They drew First Blood, not me!"
Old 11-04-10, 08:51 PM
kazkut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were angry enough that I wasn't thinking straight. I would jimmy their door open and take all their belongings, sell them on craigslist, and fix the dent.

However, if I manage to stay calm, I would just drive away and chalk another one up to idiots with no respect or courtesy.

I always make it a point not to hit someone else's car, even if it means me squeezing my fat **** in and out of my own car door if they or I accidentally park too close.
Old 11-05-10, 12:43 AM
LexFather

I have a thread here somewhere....I was IN the car and some woman's kids are going bonkers slamming their door into the car I was in..had to say something to her

Old 11-05-10, 05:14 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My paint already sucks on the Lexus, so I'm not too concerned about door dings. The only noticeable one I have was from a friend, got out of his car in a high-wind storm, lost hold of the door. He apologized; no harm done.

When I'm in public, I park far out and just try to avoid the situation all together. Like someone earlier said, it's hard to conclusively prove that it was the person next to you, unless you're in the car when it happens. In that case, give them hell; don't resort to being passive-aggressive, it doesn't get you anywhere.
Old 11-05-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
My paint already sucks on the Lexus, so I'm not too concerned about door dings.
What do you mean, your paint job "s***s"? From what I've seen, Lexus, Toyota, and Audi do what are arguably the best, most mirror-like, paint-jobs in the industry, although several other automakers, today, come close.
Old 11-05-10, 08:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blame GM and their stoooopid spring loaded doors for the dents. Never park next to a GM vehicle.
Old 11-05-10, 08:58 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Better think twice about that. You may not know whose car it is......or if he just happens to see you do it.

snip
dont worry Mike, thats when a 14" breaker bar comes out. after knocking him out, time to hit some homers using glass.
Old 11-05-10, 12:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean, your paint job "s***s"? From what I've seen, Lexus, Toyota, and Audi do what are arguably the best, most mirror-like, paint-jobs in the industry, although several other automakers, today, come close.
his car is a 95 SC300....15 year old paint usually doesn't look pristine
Old 11-05-10, 09:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry

2 weeks ago walking back to my ding free 07 IS caught a woman in the act, had to open her back door all the way to contact my door so it was easier to load crap into her car. Calmly showed her the small ding & scratch she was causing. She denied it, said the damage was already there. I told her I hand washed the car about 6 hours ago & it was not there or anywhere on the entire car & she owed me at least $30 to compensate me for her negligence. She said I was crazy & started making excuses. Went to get in her car & leave so I left a fist size dent in the offending door.

Quick Reply: ever retaliate for a door ding?