Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would u buy/drive it?
Yes
16.13%
No
16.13%
HEEELLLL NOOOOO
58.06%
Undecided
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

CAR: Cadillac Escalade Hybrid is "one of the worst cars we've ever tested"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 09:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always felt that this vehicle had the wrong engine. A 6.0L V8 is supposed to make a thirsty vehicle less thirsty?
Old 11-02-10, 10:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What the Escalade has done is develop the Suburban (or Tahoe, depending on model) into a luxury car. Now the Suburban is a Chevy Silvarado pickup with two extra rows of seats and a roof - so don't expect a great deal of luxury here. About all the Cadillac folks have been able to do is to stuff some additional sound-deadening materials into the bulkheads and soften the suspension in favor of ride vs. carrying capacity. A slathering of fake wood/metal trim, and the vehicle gets Cadillac emblems fore and aft to make it ready for the showroom. Rap stars are getting their bling at a high premium. A pickup with emblems. Sorta fits.
Old 11-02-10, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rap stars have moved on to Range Rovers, etc.
Old 11-02-10, 11:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Habious
As a general rule, I really don't like American cars. and I don't like Cadillacs.

However, considering the source of this article (carmagazine.co.UK), the review makes complete sense.

The British HATE American cars. All of them. With an unbridled, fiery passion.

Of course, they had to stick a line in there that the Land Rover (British-made SUV) is just peachy.
Yup...they also bashed the CT, bashed the CTS wagon and basically anything not Euro or not heavily leaned towards sport.

Old 11-02-10, 12:54 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

From experience entertainers are not the only ones who drive these vehicles. Being from DC i get see a lot of well-to-do folks come and go thru out the city. Let me tell you that they are not all cruising in S classes or 7 series or even Range Rovers for that matter. There are tons of Escalades in the surrounding suburban areas. A lot of folks from middle-class to the upper eschelones of society that perfer this vehicle. Yes it has its down sides like every vehicle in creation does and wont appeal to every person but it has/had enough appeal to draw the attention of rappers and upper-class folks alike. Only reason it doesn't sell well now is because of the "green" thing thats seems to be the new "bling" factor nowadays. What underpins this vehicle is a platform that helps and continue to shape this country in ways we overlook. From industrial applications to protecting the President to helping everday folks carry loads and loved ones around so in what other way to honor that service than to dress it up in some shiny garments for once and prance around town to say look at me. Hell we do it to ourselves all the time. Yes this truck is in excess for the most part and im sure Caddy knows this but to say its the worst vehicle ever is a long stretch because it doesn't fit into some other cultures and societies? Give me a break!!!!
Old 11-02-10, 01:51 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd ride it, but it must be a black color one.

Maybe The Escalade is not meant for Dutch or any place other than the north America. That is what I think if I am running GM.
Old 11-02-10, 10:13 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
same thing i was thinking, i must be watching the wrong videos.....oh well, i gladly drive ESV
agreed with Slvr surfr
Old 11-02-10, 11:23 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Habious
As a general rule, I really don't like American cars. and I don't like Cadillacs.

However, considering the source of this article (carmagazine.co.UK), the review makes complete sense.

The British HATE American cars. All of them. With an unbridled, fiery passion.

Of course, they had to stick a line in there that the Land Rover (British-made SUV) is just peachy.
Typically terrible review from a British rag on an American SUV. Nothing shocking here. Two of my partners have this vehicle and a close friend has a Denali. They are in no way as bad as this idiot...I mean writer...portrays.

I'd agree the plastic is cheap looking and feeling, but overall the Escalade is quite impressive.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'd ride it.

There's a lot out there that's worse. The Escalade (hybrid or not) is imperfect, but I'd ride it.
Agreed.
Old 11-02-10, 11:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

As much as I dislike this beast, the dash is pretty nice. In fact, it looks very much like the 2002-2006 ES dash.
Old 11-03-10, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
i wonder why they have an affinity for unreliable or ugly vehicles.
Old 11-03-10, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This magazine may not like the new Escalade interior, but they fail to point out, on the latest model, the enormous improvements made in the interior trim quality from the 1Gen model, which, I agree, was a POS.
Old 11-03-10, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wonder why they have an affinity for unreliable or ugly vehicles.
I have not noticed any rap videos with X6 3.0 turbo. Maybe I should expect to see one.
Old 11-03-10, 11:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I'm an early adopter and have had my Escalade since late 2006. It's been a great vehicle, no major issues. Gas mileage is decent on the highway...in the city, ouch.

FWIW, I'm not a rapper
Old 11-03-10, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Escalade is way too big for Europe, it is definetly not Euro vehicle
Old 11-03-10, 01:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The escalade in america is the perfect vehicle, mainly because we can handle vehicles of this size. To be honet, i have never liked Escalades, but i have driven one and riden in some numerous times and i really don't have any animosity towards this vehicle. That doesnt mean i would buy one, but i would take one for free