Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen Mercedes Benz SLK to have switchable transparency roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10 | 02:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default Next gen Mercedes Benz SLK to have switchable transparency roof

Mercedes-Benz tests switchable transparency roof for new SLK
By Darren Quick

News Link

OPEN:

CLOSED:

Mercedes-Benz will introduce a new breed of "switchable" glass roof as an optional extra on the new SLK next year. The panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL can – aside from being quite a mouthful – either be darkened or made transparent at the touch of a button.

Based on the physics of a plate condenser, when the glass structure of the roof is subjected to an electric voltage, particles in the structure position themselves so that light is able to pass through. If there is no voltage the particles position themselves randomly, darkening the glass and partially blocking the light. This allows the transparency of the glass to be altered at the touch of a button located in the vehicle’s overhead console which controls a converter integrated into the front section of the roof.

Mercedes says the roof is designed to provide an “open-air experience during cold weather” as well as offering shade to prevent the interior of the car from heating up in direct sunlight. Protecting the chrome domes of people like myself the roof will still block UV and infrared rays in transparent mode, while insulation reportedly increases significantly and noticeably in darkened mode, keeping interior parts such as armrests cooler by up to 10 degrees Celsius (50 F) compared with conventional green glass.

But Mercedes says passengers won’t be the only ones to benefit from the technology. The switchable glass roof should also take some of the strain of the air-conditioning system, thereby cutting CO2 emissions.

Mercedes-Benz will debut the MAGIC SKY CONTROL roof on the new SLK, which is due out next year.

Old 11-02-10 | 02:07 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

That's pretty awesome
Old 11-02-10 | 02:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Boeing uses similar technology for the new 787 Dreamliner windows, no longer using the plastic pull down shades.
Old 11-02-10 | 02:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting technology - I can only really see application in hardtop convertibles but it's cool none the less.

I hope they wouldn't use this as a replacement for the sunshade in traditional vehicles that have a sun/moonroof. The shade provides another layer of sound deadening from wind noise and IMO, makes a noticeable difference. While I like the light that my sunroof provides, I like the noise isolation better (when I want things quiet) .
Old 11-02-10 | 03:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

very cool idea, i have saw quite a lot of experiments on this and i think it's just a matter of time
Old 11-02-10 | 03:12 PM
seanlee
Driver

how is this technology different from, say, a layer of very basic LCD?
what's even cooler about the LCD is if you have two layers of them, you can control the amount of light pass through by simply adjusting voltage.
Old 11-02-10 | 03:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by seanlee
how is this technology different from, say, a layer of very basic LCD?
Dude, it's on a folding roof that needs to withstand a rollover crash at 60 mph...
Old 11-02-10 | 03:36 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Dude, it's on a folding roof that needs to withstand a rollover crash at 60 mph...
you will still have your glass structure (like normal sun roof), with the exception of adding a layer of LCD film. it is not like you adding LCD panel that you find in the TV monitor.
the layer is very thin and flexible. in fact, i have seen number of such application before, search smart glass on google.
there are number of after market LCD film that you can apply to your car window so it become translucent when vehicle is not powered.

a big issue with this technology is that it uses polarization technique to block the light, which means you are loosing a lot of light when even when it transparent. this is a problem if you want to have clear window, but less of a problem if you talking about sun roof.
another problem is, you never able to obtain 100% darkness either, so you will still have to pull out your sun roof cover if you want total darkness.

all in all, this is a decade old technology, i don't see any thing new here.
Old 11-02-10 | 03:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by seanlee
all in all, this is a decade old technology, i don't see any thing new here.
If it's a decade old technology, show me a car that's used this in production ten years ago.

You miss the point of this article in a Car Forum.
Old 11-02-10 | 04:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

So confused why they are making a big deal about this. Mercedes has offered this technology on the Maybach for years now. I guess because its now available on a lower priced car? Doesnt the SL already offer something similar too?

Home windows, sunglasses, etc have used this technology as well.
Old 11-02-10 | 04:36 PM
jason60050
Driver

I still think MB should be focusing on their reliability...
Old 11-02-10 | 04:40 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

How much extra $$$?
Old 11-02-10 | 05:06 PM
RXSF

MB has been using this technology in their Maybachs for years.
Old 11-02-10 | 05:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Pretty cool
Old 11-02-10 | 07:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

same as electrochromic glass right?

the stuff you've seen in car shows on passenger windows

Quick Reply: Next gen Mercedes Benz SLK to have switchable transparency roof