Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: More details about Mazda's next MX-5

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 09:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Rumormill: More details about Mazda's next MX-5

Rumormill: More details about Mazda's next MX-5

Mazda is hard at work on the next-generation MX-5. We know the automaker has set a target weight of 2,200 pounds for the forthcoming roadster, and it plans to keep weight distribution at the magic 50/50 figure. A new report from Autocar, however, reveals a bit more information about what's in store for the new MX-5.

Mazda showed off a concept vehicle back in 2003, called the Ibuki, that previewed the styling of the current generation car and many believed that was all it revealed. However, the Ibuki concept featured a twin-backbone frame that can be found in the current Mazda RX-8. This layout allows for vital components, such as the powertrain, gas tank and exhaust system, to be placed between the front and rear axle. The twin-backbone setup also enables the automaker to produce an open-top car with the rigidity of a fixed-roof vehicle. If the next-generation MX-5 receives these updates, it will allow Mazda to take its iconic two-seater to new heights.

Takao Kajima, who was in charge of the suspension on the first generation car and then promoted to program manager for the second, says:

"The MX-5 must always be lightweight sports. The car has got bigger and heavier over the past decade, but it's now time to reverse the process and get back to basics."

Those words are pure symphony to the ears of Miata owners around the world. As for what Mazda is planning for the next-gen MX-5, consider us on the edge of our seat.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/02/r...das-next-mx-5/
Old 11-02-10, 10:52 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Miata. Owned a 2000 model and I loved it every time I turned the wheel even slightly.
Old 11-03-10, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,586 Posts

just hope it doesn't get smaller or i likely won't fit. i had one for a couple of years, loved it, and would like another one.
Old 11-03-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just hope it doesn't get smaller or i likely won't fit. i had one for a couple of years, loved it, and would like another one.
Agreed. The cockpit in the 1Gen model was just too small for many larger American males. Slight improvements were seen in later-generations (I can now just barely fit into the latest model), but it's still, by American standards, a borderline sardine can. Fun to drive, though.....there's no question about that.
Old 11-03-10, 09:39 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lay off the sweet bread...lol

The miata is one of the few slow cars that is fun to drive
Old 11-03-10, 10:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Same here, I had one for about 3 years. As much as I enjoyed, my interest has diminished, not unlike sales volume.
Old 11-03-10, 11:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove one once. Had to look OVER the windshield to drive it. Fortunately, we weren't going that far!
Old 11-03-10, 11:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by werewolf
Lay off the sweet bread...lol

The miata is one of the few slow cars that is fun to drive
bit is nearly as tall as me. Imagine two over 6 foot guys riding around in a modded MX-5. Knees on the dash

Old 11-03-10, 07:11 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

My favorite body style was 99-05 NB. Hopefully on the new one they wipe that smile off of the front of the car!!!
Old 11-04-10, 09:22 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife had a 92 and loved it. We bought it used on vacation in Palm Springs, CA and drove it back to Michigan - during the winter. It was a fun car, but I had to sell it after her accident in 96. She has wanted me to buy another one for the past ten years, but it's really tough to transfer her in / out of a Miata from her wheelchair. Plus, forget about taking the wheelchair along. The NB trunk was almost big enough to hold her transport chair with little 8" wheels - but I had to scrape the paint on the chair to squeeze it in there. That was a shame because the NB I looked at already had a supercharger in it.
Old 11-04-10, 09:33 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

its always the big people who drive miatas.
Old 11-04-10, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bit is nearly as tall as me. Imagine two over 6 foot guys riding around in a modded MX-5. Knees on the dash
That's one reason why they did an automatic version....plus, of ourse, the Miata's popularity with women who don't want to shift for themselves (I do, however, disagree with the Miata's image as a "chick" car......I see plenty of males driving them, despite its obvious popularity with females).

Anyhow, the automatic version, though obviously taking some of the driving-fun away, was more-or-less a necessary for some people with big or tall legs. The steering-column sits so low (the 1Gen models were non-adjustable) that there is little room under it for up-and-down left-knee-motions on the clutch, so tall people had to sit with their knees splayed out to the side instead, around the edges of the wheel. The top-down-compartment back behind the drivers' seat greatly limited the amount of seat-travel and rake-adjustment for the seat-back, so, to dial in some rake so tall people could lower their heads and clear the ceiling (with the top up), you had to shift the bottom of the seat forward some, making your knees splay even more out to the sides. Fortunately, later Miatas improved on this awkward seating position a little, but the car is still clearly not for NBA guys.
Old 11-04-10, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I drove one once. Had to look OVER the windshield to drive it. Fortunately, we weren't going that far!
haha yeah the NA/NB (last two gens before current one) were like that for me too. NC a lot bigger.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's one reason why they did an automatic version....plus, of ourse, the Miata's popularity with women who don't want to shift for themselves (I do, however, disagree with the Miata's image as a "chick" car......I see plenty of males driving them, despite its obvious popularity with females).
i've NEVER seen a female driving one here in FL, and there's TONS around. mostly older retired guys get 'em for fun.

Anyhow, the automatic version, though obviously taking some of the driving-fun away, was more-or-less a necessary for some people with big or tall legs. The steering-column sits so low (the 1Gen models were non-adjustable) that there is little room under it for up-and-down left-knee-motions on the clutch, so tall people had to sit with their knees splayed out to the side instead, around the edges of the wheel. The top-down-compartment back behind the drivers' seat greatly limited the amount of seat-travel and rake-adjustment for the seat-back, so, to dial in some rake so tall people could lower their heads and clear the ceiling (with the top up), you had to shift the bottom of the seat forward some, making your knees splay even more out to the sides. Fortunately, later Miatas improved on this awkward seating position a little, but the car is still clearly not for NBA guys.
new miata auto is six speed with paddle shifters and apparently a lot of fun still.
Old 11-04-10, 11:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they make a coupe it'd be the perfect alternative if Toyota fail with the FT-86.
Old 11-04-10, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i've NEVER seen a female driving one here in FL, and there's TONS around. mostly older retired guys get 'em for fun.

In the D.C. area, Miatas are very popular with females, especially older females who are (maybe) having a mid-life crisis like some men do in their forties, but I agree with you that the stereotype of it being a "chick" car is overrated.

Quick Reply: Rumormill: More details about Mazda's next MX-5