Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I fell in LOVE

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:46 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
if those are your final choices, then i think you're right in choosing the jetta. the e55 more than likely will have problems down the line, especially if you're out of warranty. and for 24k, this is a great bang for your buck kinda car. best of luck!
Thank You

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't be fooled by the warranty. It's one of the worst in the industry. When all the electrical starts going bad after three years, you are screwed. The free maintenance is included in order to shortchange people with the regular warranty. I much rather have a longer B2B warranty that covers the major issues than a few free oil changes.

Otherwise, I think the dash is very elegant, the rear is a nice copy of the A4 (a good thing), and the front end is probably one of the plainest, most bland designs to come out in several years. If it were my money, I wouldn't go for it unless it was a three-year lease.
I know exactly what you mean, i would not purchase one without getting the 8 year unlimited mileage B2B warranty. 1900 bucks for that piece of mind is nothing
Old 11-05-10, 10:12 AM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assembled in Mexico...no thanks!!
Old 11-05-10, 10:54 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

$22K for my Wolf with 34mpg on a 2.0T... it's a FUN car, and new 2011 has added more value...
Old 11-05-10, 12:42 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Its a manual right? Hows the performance of the 2.0 ive never had one, i remember my audi a4 1.8 turbo with awd and automatic was garbage slow and 17 miles per gallon
Old 11-05-10, 01:36 PM
davis449
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Hey Davis, i totally understand what you mean. The salesman found the color combo that i wanted the black on tan in Ohio and i told him no. The reason being is that i want to wait for the GLI 2.0 Turbo rated at 200 hp which is 30 more than the 5 cylinder 2.5 liter that is offered on the SE and SEL. Also the GLI is going to be exactly like the European Version which will have electronic power steering instead of huydraulic, and also the biggest issue is that the GLI will not have the cheap plastic interior that just destroys all the other models here in the stats. The GLI dash will be true VW much more softer and way better looking. So i will definitely wait for the GLI model its only going to be a couple of grand difference anyways. Another thing is that the GLI wont have the turbo lag which so commonly ruins it for a lot of turbo cars. This is all from the reading that i have been doing so we will yet have to see when one comes to the showrooms. A lot of people like these new jettas but the only thing they hate is the fact that the 2.0 turbo isnt here yet and the interior is cheap plastic, which the GLI will surely change.
Right on brother. Couldn't agree more.

Its a manual right? Hows the performance of the 2.0 ive never had one, i remember my audi a4 1.8 turbo with awd and automatic was garbage slow and 17 miles per gallon
I **** up IS 350 owners' days and nights. My performance mods included, I still spent WAY less than one too.
Old 11-05-10, 01:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The GLI will not get a different dash. All Jettas sold here will use the same overall materials, just with different decorative bits, IE, aluminum or fake wood here or there.
Old 11-05-10, 02:06 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The GLI will not get a different dash. All Jettas sold here will use the same overall materials, just with different decorative bits, IE, aluminum or fake wood here or there.
I forgot the website i think it was a car and driver article but the GLI will have different material used to make up the dashboard. All european models will have this different material used (not the cheap plastic feeling one). This is just from what i read but who knows.

Read the last paragraph

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Last edited by D-Boi; 11-05-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 02:20 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^Why not get a GS350? I see 07 models in CA starting at $20k. I'm sure you can find a nice one in MI.
Old 11-05-10, 02:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
I forgot the website i think it was a car and driver article but the GLI will have different material used to make up the dashboard. All european models will have this different material used (not the cheap plastic feeling one). This is just from what i read but who knows.

Read the last paragraph

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Very interesting! I don't think that's a good idea for VW to have two different levels of interior materials for one car. It's going to open up the complaint door to all those who get the lesser model and make VW look cheap for not including the nicer dash. Time will tell how this will play out.
Old 11-05-10, 02:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I worked at VW several years back.... all I can say about their reliability is.... ummm..... You will LOVE the service at the dealership, which is a good thing because you'll be in there for repairs quite often!

But seriously, that has to be one of the most generic cars on the road today, much like most of the newer VW designs. The last pic of the white one, I swear I almost confused it for the older Kia/Hyundai products, which is not a good thing.
Old 11-05-10, 03:00 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

keeps gettin bigger.. looks good tho
Old 11-05-10, 03:14 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Incredible
^Why not get a GS350? I see 07 models in CA starting at $20k. I'm sure you can find a nice one in MI.
I dont really want to get a used car, i mean i might but id want to have warranty with it bumper to bumper. Im just tired of having someone elses problems
Old 11-08-10, 12:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davis449
While I applaud your decision, get a 2.0T or go home.

+1 on the 2.0T, my wife's Audi TT has that motor and I love it.

btw, she's interested in getting.....

Last edited by bagwell; 11-08-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 12:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Don't be in a rush to get married, is what I'd recommend.
Old 11-08-10, 01:15 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

There was one next to me on the road today and it does look impressive.

I was way surprised to see rear drum brakes (2.5 SE model). I guess they have to save money somewhere as they have put a lot of content in the car.

Quick Reply: I fell in LOVE