Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new car

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 01:30 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My new car

Hi All,

I don't really post much on here, but since a new car is a big deal for me here it is.

07 328i coupe, only has 26k miles on it, pretty good for on 07.

This will be my new commuter car (I don't have much of a commute, less than 15mins city driving.)

My old car was a 97 Acura 3.0CL. On a side note when I went to trade in that car I found out that it had been in an accident thanks to the CarFax report. This was news to me since when I bought the car back in 2002, the CarFax was clean. I guess the lesson learned is CarFax isn't always correct. Though I hope it is on the new car, because it is supposedly clean.
Old 11-07-10, 01:07 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a very nice beemer, enjoy sir
Old 11-07-10, 04:08 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
... My old car was a 97 Acura 3.0CL. On a side note when I went to trade in that car I found out that it had been in an accident thanks to the CarFax report. This was news to me since when I bought the car back in 2002, the CarFax was clean. I guess the lesson learned is CarFax isn't always correct. ...
This is why a professional inspection is always a good investment rather than trusting CarFax or AutoCheck 100%. There are a few possible explanations for this discrepancy:

- Your Acura had it's accident repair just before you bought it and the info hadn't reached CarFax yet.

- If you used the seller's CarFax when you bought the Acura, they may have run one on another similar car that didn't show the accident.

- When you traded your car in, the dealer may have had a bogus CarFax. (unlikely)

Back on topic, I like your new coupe. I remember the days when parents bought 2-door cars for the safety of their kids - no rear doors to open. A few years ago, I helped one of my sons buy a used Monte Carlo. The story the seller had was that he had just bought it and brought it home to show his wife. She refused to drive it because they had a toddler and there was no way she was going to wrestle the kid in and out of a car seat in the back of a 2-door car. Times have changed.
Old 11-07-10, 06:23 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not trying to scare the OP or anything, but is it just the lighting or is the door and rear QP different colors? Door has a blue hint to it, while the QP looks more gunmetalish.
Old 11-07-10, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Congrats man, she's clean. Love the black with aluminum trim
Old 11-07-10, 06:42 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments all. Yeah, I think the color mismatch might have to do with my iPhone 4 camera, regardless of what anybody says, the camera still isn't that great, at least for in the dark pictures.

Thinking about it more, I really think the explanation for error on the Carfax for my old Acura was that it didn't get updated before I bought the car. Also, since that happened back in 2002, I would hope that another reason was that CarFax just wasn't that accurate back then but have improved since then. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed about the new car. The CarFax is clear for now. And I don't buy cars too often (I kept the Acura through college and after college for another 4 years), so I guess it doesn't really matter until I have to sell this car. As far as the Acura was concerned, it turned out to be everything I needed it to be. Extremely cheap to buy, cheap to operate, and never had much trouble with it. I decided to keep it, since I thought I might be able to sell it for a couple of hundred dollars more if I sold it myself.

A couple of more pictures from today.

Old 11-08-10, 05:13 AM
LexFather

Very nice, rims go very well with the car, congrats!

Old 11-08-10, 05:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Love it.

I had a 07 328i and 08 is250 with similar miles priced the same to choose from. I went with the is250 because it had all luxury i needed and the beemer did not. But still a nice car...someday i will get one
Old 11-08-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations...nice car. I like the fact that yours doesn't have two annoying (IMO) features on the console....the I-Drive and the electronic transmission-shifter.
Old 11-08-10, 04:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations...nice car. I like the fact that yours doesn't have two annoying (IMO) features on the console....the I-Drive and the electronic transmission-shifter.
Thanks Mmarshall, I don't know if you remember, but I asked you to review a Mazda5 once. I know it was a very different vehicle than this, but at the time, I really wasn't sure what kind of car I wanted to buy and was considering a big range of cars. I don't know if I ever thanked you for that review, but "Thanks!"

Yes, besides price, I really wanted a very basic BMW for fear of fixing anything that goes wrong. My rational was, the less stuff the car had, the less stuff could go wrong. This is the 8th year of ownership of my Acura, i hope to do the same with this vehicle.
Old 11-08-10, 06:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope its CPO'd???

comparing an Acura to a BMW isn't really fair as far as reliability....but good luck with it.
Old 11-08-10, 07:08 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
I hope its CPO'd???

comparing an Acura to a BMW isn't really fair as far as reliability....but good luck with it.
no sir, but its under warranty till april 2011. I might buy an extended warranty from a third party, but but not from BMW, I think their warranties are too expensive for what you get.

Most likely, I'll just pay to play, meaning pay for stuff that breaks. I have no allusions as to the reliability of German cars, and your right its unfair to expect the BMW to be as reliable as the Acura has been. Hopefully, issues will remain few and far in between. I also have my Infiniti should the BMW fail to take me to work.