Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Warns It May Have To Move Production Out Of Japan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 03:31 PM
LexFather

Post Toyota Warns It May Have To Move Production Out Of Japan.

This isn't good for ANY Japanese company.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010...-out-of-japan/

Full-year earnings up, but exchange rate, recalls likely to yield 2nd-half plunge.

by Paul A. Eisenstein on Nov.05, 2010
It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep building vehicles, like the Prius, in Japan, warns Toyota.

Toyota Motor Co. did markedly better during the first half of its fiscal year, a senior company official disclosed Friday, but while strong sales in key markets, such as Asia will help it deliver better earnings than expected for the current year, the rising value of the yen and its ongoing recall problems will result in a plunge in earnings during the second half of 2010.
Income for the full fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2011, is now expected to rise to 350 billion yen ($4.31 billion), up from an earlier forecast of 340 billion yen.

That projected improvement comes “despite the influence of the strong yen,” which has been a serious problem for the maker in dealing with its largest foreign market, the United States, said Toyota Managing Officer Takuo Sasaki, speaking through an interpreter, during a teleconference to discuss the company’s latest quarterly earnings.

Looking ahead, Toyota now anticipates an exchange rate of 85 yen to the dollar, down from an earlier forecast of 90. But on November 1, the exchange rate fell to its lowest level in more than 15 years, the yen plunging to 80.22 against the dollar.

“If we assume the (exchange rate) remains at 80 yen to the dollar, the environment will be extremely tough,” cautioned Sasaki, and would raise questions about how long the company can continue producing vehicles in Japan.
“Currently we are striving very hard to make sure we can remain profitable” on Japanese-made products, he said, through extensive cost-reduction efforts. The process may require may require the development of products specifically geared towards building in Japan.

But if that doesn’t work, Sasaki warned, “We will be compelled to consider other alternatives,” which, while unspoken, seems to suggest the need to shift vehicle production outside the home market.

The first half of the current fiscal year was buoyed by a variety of factors, despite the worsening exchange rate situation. Net revenues rose 15.5%, to 9.68 trillion yen, while operating income reversed last year’s 136.9 billion yen loss to reach 323.1 billion yen.

For the July-September quarter, profits rose to 98.7 billion yen, or $1.2 billion. That was up from 21.8 billion yen during the second quarter of 2009, but lower than industry analysts had predicted, signaling problems ahead.
Indeed, the numbers to follow won’t look so good, Toyota warned, with second-half profits expected to drop by as much as 77%, to 61 billion yen. By comparison, the maker posted earnings of 265 billion yen during the first half of the 2009 fiscal year.

In a little more than 12 months, Toyota has had to recall more than 10 million vehicles worldwide, the vast majority of them for a pair of problems that could cause unintended acceleration problems. The impact of those two recalls alone could cost the maker more than $2 billion, several analysts have forecast – more if the courts rule against Toyota in a series of lawsuits now working through the U.S. courts.

To underscore the ongoing recall problem, Toyota preceded the first-half earnings report with the announcement that another 135,600 vehicles sold in Europe and Japan will have to be recalled. None of the products were sold in North America.
But the exchange rate issue is a broader and potentially longer-lasting issue. It is also one that faces the maker’s Japanese competitors, as well. But, like Toyota, both Honda and Nissan are predicting better full-year earnings than initially estimated, largely the result of booming sales in China.

The good news from Asia stands in sharp contrast to its problems in North America, where vehicle sales are now expected to decline for the year, from 2.098 million to 2.09 million – and down from an early estimate of 2.17 million. Significantly, October sales fell 4% in the U.S., even while most of Toyota’s key competitors, including U.S., Korean and Japanese brands, rose by double-digit levels.

Old 11-07-10, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Articles like this, though, tell only one side of the story.....but there is another one that many Americans don't know about. Toyota is lucky, in some ways, to be a Japanese company, with Japanese plants. In traditional Japanese culture, both work AND management are considered to be a priviledge. Workers consider it an honor to be employed, and managers an honor to be entrusted with responsibility....so you generally don't find people goofing-off. It is not just looked on as an 8-hour shift or 9-5 clock-watching. Not only do many (if not most) Japanese workers in the plants work their tails off, but, after work, instead of heading for the nearest bar to grab a beer or to watch a sports-event, they often meet for dinner, in each others' homes, and discuss ways to improve the factory-process. Same with managers...who often meet with the employes as well for the same purpose. THAT's dedication.

Although, yes, there have been some recent problems (as Toyota's bad publicity has shown), that traditional Japanese system paid off.......the Japanese did not develop and perfect the the best automotive quality-control systems in the world out of nothing. Some American and Korean nameplates, like Hyundai/Kia and Ford, are now also doing very well in QC, but they learned it from the Japanese.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 04:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The whole currency exchange and value imbalance across the world is a huge problem, not just for Toyota.
Old 11-07-10, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The whole currency exchange and value imbalance across the world is a huge problem, not just for Toyota.
Maybe so, but currency-exchange rates fluctuate up and down with the wind. Today the Yen is weak.......so big deal; tomorrow it (could) easily be stronger than steel. Same, of course, with the Dollar and Euro. It makes little or no sense, to me, to pack up and leave your home-base just because the Yen is down a little, particularly when you have an excellent group of workers like you (typically) have in Japanese plants.....that was the point I was making, above.
Old 11-07-10, 04:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so, but currency-exchange rates fluctuate up and down with the wind. Today the Yen is weak.......so big deal; tomorrow it (could) easily be stronger than steel. Same, of course, with the Dollar and Euro. It makes little or no sense, to me, to pack up and leave your home-base just because the Yen is down a little, particularly when you have an excellent group of workers like you (typically) have in Japanese plants.....that was the point I was making, above.
That is a good point, and to add to it, the "Made in Japan" tag can make or break the deal for many buyers.

However, I'm sure automaker profit margins are razor thin, and they cant sustain currency imbalance for too long.
Old 11-07-10, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Yen has been going down for YEARS and the Japanese govt has done almost nothing to help it. It is at a 15 year low.

It simply makes exports more expensive from Japan.

Old 11-07-10, 05:57 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect to Mmarshall and 1SickLex, the yen is not getting weaker. It is actually getting stronger in relation to the dollar. A year ago, a dollar was worth 92 yen. Today that same dollar is only worth 81 yen.
Old 11-07-10, 09:53 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
With all due respect to Mmarshall and 1SickLex, the yen is not getting weaker. It is actually getting stronger in relation to the dollar. A year ago, a dollar was worth 92 yen. Today that same dollar is only worth 81 yen.
Who said the dollar is remaining the same? Perhaps the dollar is being devalued quicker than the Yen?
Old 11-08-10, 05:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

honestly thats very naive position . We are talking about cost of production getting worse by up to 30% in past 10 years simply because of strong yen.

on the other hand, your competition has benefit of weakening currency and hence lower costs, just like that.
Old 11-08-10, 05:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In traditional Japanese culture, both work AND management are considered to be a priviledge. Workers consider it an honor to be employed, and managers an honor to be entrusted with responsibility....so you generally don't find people goofing-off. It is not just looked on as an 8-hour shift or 9-5 clock-watching. Not only do many (if not most) Japanese workers in the plants work their tails off, but, after work, instead of heading for the nearest bar to grab a beer or to watch a sports-event, they often meet for dinner, in each others' homes, and discuss ways to improve the factory-process. Same with managers...who often meet with the employes as well for the same purpose. THAT's dedication.
great description MM....

I know quite a few people that rather buy a built in Japan Honda or Toyota that's rather than one built in the US.
Old 11-08-10, 05:43 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly, while I understand their position, the day they stop making cars in Japan, marks the beginning of a time when I'd never buy a new Toyota/Lexus.

And this is exactly why

Articles like this, though, tell only one side of the story.....but there is another one that many Americans don't know about. Toyota is lucky, in some ways, to be a Japanese company, with Japanese plants. In traditional Japanese culture, both work AND management are considered to be a priviledge. Workers consider it an honor to be employed, and managers an honor to be entrusted with responsibility....so you generally don't find people goofing-off. It is not just looked on as an 8-hour shift or 9-5 clock-watching. Not only do many (if not most) Japanese workers in the plants work their tails off, but, after work, instead of heading for the nearest bar to grab a beer or to watch a sports-event, they often meet for dinner, in each others' homes, and discuss ways to improve the factory-process. Same with managers...who often meet with the employes as well for the same purpose. THAT's dedication.

Although, yes, there have been some recent problems (as Toyota's bad publicity has shown), that traditional Japanese system paid off.......the Japanese did not develop and perfect the the best automotive quality-control systems in the world out of nothing. Some American and Korean nameplates, like Hyundai/Kia and Ford, are now also doing very well in QC, but they learned it from the Japanese.
Old 11-08-10, 06:25 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Frankly, while I understand their position, the day they stop making cars in Japan, marks the beginning of a time when I'd never buy a new Toyota/Lexus.

And this is exactly why
They can't afford to stop making cars in Japan and I don't mean on a monetary level. I think that Toyota may explore new avenues , but not what the article is suggesting.

As mmarshall has pointed out, life revolves around work. That being said, the Y generation has had a lot of influence from western cultures and this way of thinking is slowly changing. I wish the younger population here would take the good things that western society has to offer and not the bad, b/c that is what seems to be happening these days. Those people that take pride in their company and being thankful for being employed are a dying breed. Don't get me wrong, there are still some of the younger generation that think like this, just not as many as their used to be.
Old 11-08-10, 08:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
They can't afford to stop making cars in Japan and I don't mean on a monetary level. I think that Toyota may explore new avenues , but not what the article is suggesting.

As mmarshall has pointed out, life revolves around work. That being said, the Y generation has had a lot of influence from western cultures and this way of thinking is slowly changing. I wish the younger population here would take the good things that western society has to offer and not the bad, b/c that is what seems to be happening these days. Those people that take pride in their company and being thankful for being employed are a dying breed. Don't get me wrong, there are still some of the younger generation that think like this, just not as many as their used to be.
they will simply move more of the production outside.... they are doing that already. they currently can not be competitive with japanese built cars, especially against koreans whose Won has devalued by 25% in past 3 years.

What basically happens is that when they sell Japanese vehicle in USA, they now pay 30% more for it, and at the same time Korean manufacturers pay 25% less for selling their cars in USA.

So for example:
1. Sonata (korean built) - 20k MSRP, with adjusted WON, it is as if MSRP is 16k
2. Yaris- 12k MSRP, with adjusted YEN, it is as if MSRP is 16k.

And Yaris sales are down to the gutter since Toyota can not afford to sell it here at those prices. At the same time, their competitor can lower the price of their car by 20% and still make more money on it than in 2006.

This is why in past 6-7 years, USD has been significantly devalued so US can export their goods cheaper. Currently USD is around 40% lower vs Euro, compared to USD highs of early 2000's.
Old 11-08-10, 08:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

even better comparo... RX350AWD:
1. NA made, 35k
2. Japanese made 40k

which one would you purchase?
Old 11-08-10, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
but if cars made in japan are just too expensive for export markets, then they won't have any choice.

also, from the article:

“Currently we are striving very hard to make sure we can remain profitable” on Japanese-made products, he said, through extensive cost-reduction efforts.
that is a horrible sign, that the only way the u.s. will get toyotas made in japan are by making them so cheaply made they will suck. we've already seen this to a HUGE degree with the dramatic cheapening of toyota AND lexus products in recent years. now europe is doing the same thing too, mostly.

toyota will continue building cars in japan to save face, but i predict they'll build the VAST majority elsewhere.

prius built in the u.s. can't be far off. got to do something with all the unused tundra capacity.

otherwise, ford and hyundai are going to increasingly eat toyota's lunch in the u.s.

Quick Reply: Toyota Warns It May Have To Move Production Out Of Japan.