Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

huge tax breaks for Leaf (rated at 99 MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 06:57 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
What is the point of this car. They say it has a range of 100 miles but if you use the AC and radio you will more than likely get 47 miles on a full charge. Also it says you need about 20 hours for a full charge??? Whats the point on spending 32k on this car if you cant use it ?
yeah, now after i've read your post, you're absolutely right.
there is no point in electric cars.
Old 11-20-10, 06:59 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Plug-in electrics are pretty cool from a technology standpoint, but as a totally clean means of transit, they fall far short of their hype. Electrically powered vehicles may not produce the tailpipe pollution of an ICE, but they merely displace the combustion problem from the automobile to an electrical generating plant, most of which burn fossil fuels and are far more polluting than most automobiles.

What's worse is that during the overnight recharging cycle, energy demand may be at its lowest, but so are the winds that help dissipate smokestack pollution from these power plants, resulting in a thin miasma of gunk hanging near the ground at daylight. Then there is the ozone problem, the result of all of those charge-discharge cycles and electric motors.

Nuclear plants still have a considerable problem with what to do with spent fuel, and wind, water, and solar power aren't available except in specific geographic locations. On the Texas coast, we have a flat prairie, and on average, too many clouds for reliable solar, too little wind for sustainable wind turbines, and not enough elevation change for hydro power. Our tidal variation is maybe a foot, so that's out too. We're not alone in this, either, while some locations are blessed with ample renewable resources, the cost of pumping those electrons across the country is still prohibitive.

While alternative fuel research is a great idea, taking it public at this point on a major scale may risk sufficient public disappointment as to deflate the market for so-called "green" energy.
i read a story on the intarwebs about some guy who is building a completely solar powered home from the ground up, and getting an electric car.
not being burdened by energy bills must be the best feeling in the world.
Old 11-20-10, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They should share the same incentives for electric motorcycles.
I didn't know any electric bikes were in production.....though, of course I don't follow the bike market like you do.
Old 11-20-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by D-Boi
What is the point of this car. They say it has a range of 100 miles but if you use the AC and radio you will more than likely get 47 miles on a full charge. Also it says you need about 20 hours for a full charge??? Whats the point on spending 32k on this car if you cant use it ?
You're stretching it out a little. For the typical electric with state-of-the-art batteries (which, now, are lithium-ion), a full charge from a typical 110V household outlet takes about 8 hours....about 2 hours with a 220V outlet. But automakers are working with utility companies to develop 400V outlets which can do a full-charge in about 20 minutes. These will be ideal if they can be installed at shopping centers, restaurants, dealerships, and other places where people often park their cars and go in and shop for only a little while. They would, say, dump in some change into a slot in the charger-outlet, come back a little while later, and find a full charge.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-20-10, 09:37 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^now that would be sweet. 20 minutes is awesome and id be all over that, but 20 hours for full charge is iffy.
Old 11-20-10, 10:43 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

about 16 hrs it would take for the 110V, and eight for the 220v. those who i kno who are on the waiting list don't drive that many miles. maybe 150 during the workweek and about 100 for the weekends. the 220v can be charger overnight when the owner goes to sleep, so it's ready for the next day. i'm looking forward to seeing these charging stations at malls and shopping areas, as it is already a hassle to find parking without those designated parking spots just for these electric vehicles; i know costco has a few in place, but rarely have i seen them being occupied. hopefully with more electric vehicles, that will soon change.
Old 11-20-10, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
yeah, now after i've read your post, you're absolutely right.
there is no point in electric cars.
He is asking a legitimate question and it doesn't deserve a sarcastic response just b/c you are protecting Nissan's honor again. Knock it off.

Old 11-20-10, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
about 16 hrs it would take for the 110V, and eight for the 220v. .
With state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries? That's not the recharge-time figures I've seen.....but I guess it depends on the accuracy of the source. The sources I've seen, admittedly, aren't necessarily any better than yours.
Old 11-22-10, 05:15 PM
LexFather

Its gets a 99 MPG rating

Nissan Leaf snags 99 mpg rating on official EPA sticker

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/n...l-epa-sticker/

Old 11-22-10, 05:46 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

An electric car that doesn't use gallons, gets 99 miles to the GALLON. OK.

And an "equivalency" is constantly changing as electric and gas rates don't maintain the same pace of price change.

And look at where it says 0 emission/0 co2 ect. A misconception unless we create electricity out of thin air. Last time I checked, burning coal creates emissions/co2.
Old 11-22-10, 06:29 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

And an "equivalency" is constantly changing as electric and gas rates don't maintain the same pace of price change.

And look at where it says 0 emission/0 co2 ect. A misconception unless we create electricity out of thin air. Last time I checked, burning coal creates emissions/co2.
This is at the core of the fuzzy truth about EVs for me.
Old 11-22-10, 07:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

right on the sticker it says MPG equivalent..

where I live you can select http://www.greenmountainenergy.com/ which is 100% pollution free...I'm sure I'm not the only one that can do so....

Last edited by bagwell; 11-22-10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 08:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
right on the sticker it says MPG equivalent..
I'm very much aware of that as stated in the passage you deleted out of my post.
I also started to explain how the system is flawed. Perhaps I don't get it and I'd be happy to hear from someone who can explain how electricity usage can be translated into an MPG equivalent when cost structures and price changes are completely different. Even if the calculations are based on energy output, I still don't buy the "equivalency".
Old 11-23-10, 05:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I understand the whole equivalency thing...but I do have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Nevertheless, 73 miles is how far the EPA deems the Leaf will go on a charge. Not so hot. Hopefully in a realworld driving it will best the EV1's 120 mile range.
Old 11-23-10, 05:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
73 miles is how far the EPA deems the Leaf will go on a charge. Not so hot. Hopefully in a realworld driving it will best the EV1's 120 mile range.
I don't get this either...the EV1s were around 1996-1999 and were able to get 120 miles per charge...so in 15 years there's been zero battery improvement??

Quick Reply: huge tax breaks for Leaf (rated at 99 MPG)