Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford turnaround featured in CNBC documentary this Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 09:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford turnaround featured in CNBC documentary this Wednesday

Ford turnaround featured in CNBC documentary this Wednesday

CNBC is delving into the rebirth of Ford as an automotive force to be reckoned with in a new documentary called "Rebuilding an American Icon." The show will take viewers behind the scenes at the Blue Oval to see how the company managed to navigate through the automotive implosion of 2009. While the documentary will feature the usual raft of interviews with executives, CNBC says that it was allowed deep access to the company's day-to-day workings, and even followed the engineers responsible for breathing new life into the Explorer.

Additionally, CNBC says the program takes the time to focus on the stout competition facing Ford as it moves forward, including cars from the likes of Kia and Hyundai.

"Rebuilding an American Icon" debuts on Wednesday, November 10th at 9 p.m. ET, though it will rebroadcast at 10 p.m., 12 a.m. and 1 a.m. should you happen to miss it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/09/f...his-wednesday/
Old 11-10-10, 05:23 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, I was just about to post this!
Old 11-10-10, 05:24 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Just to get an idea about Alan

http://lapeerareaview.mihomepaper.co...City_Ford.html

Company chief pays visit to Imlay City Ford
Paul LaFontaine Jr. (right) and his father, Paul Sr. (left), were paid a surprise visit Saturday morning when Ford Motor Co. President Alan Mulally dropped by the Imlay City Ford dealership. IMLAY CITY — Paul LaFontaine Jr. and his father, Paul Sr., were sitting down at a restaurant across the street from the younger LaFontaine’s Ford dealership Saturday morning to split an omelet when he got a call from his staff no dealer expects.

LaFontaine’s service manager, Reed Gordon, was on the phone telling him that Ford Motor Co. President Alan Mulally, along with a driver and a personal assistant, had stopped in to take a look around the dealership on South Cedar Street.

“I said, ‘Dad, we gotta go,’” recalled the younger LaFontaine and the pair tossed a handful of cash on the table before dashing back across the street. At Imlay City Ford Lincoln Mercury they found the president of North America’s second largest auto company chatting with oil change technicians and posing for photos.

Jeff Trott, one of LaFontaine’s salespersons, told him Mulally had already strolled through the dealership’s finance department, where he chatted with a customer picking up a new Ford Focus.

Mulally, said LaFontaine, came out to Imlay City to tour his 8,000-square-foot building because it’s the only Trustmark 3 design dealership in the state. In February 2008 heavy snows crushed the dealership’s showroom roof and 11 months later LaFontaine had a significantly larger building.

He said that while he initially was a little hesitant about the $1.6-million investment, it’s “working out.” For six of the last nine years, the dealership has earned Ford’s President’s Award, placing it among the Top 10 percent of Ford dealers nationwide.

LaFontaine added the Lincoln Mercury line-up to his dealership just two years ago. Earlier this year, Ford announced the elimination of its 75-year-old Mercury division by year’s end and LaFontaine said Lincoln dealers were told the company plans to close up to 35 percent of that division’s dealerships over the next few years as part of a consolidation move.

He said the Trustmark 3 design Ford officials urged him to build is the look Ford will have all Lincoln dealers adopt over the next few years.

LaFontaine said while taking a look at his office Mulally spotted a photo of himself with LaFontaine’s family at a recent dealer’s meeting in Traverse City. LaFontaine said Mulally took the time to sit at his desk and write his wife, Carry, a note.

Wrapping up his tour, said LaFontaine, Mulally told him facility and employees looked great. “It made everybody’s day,” said LaFontaine
Old 11-10-10, 07:52 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! I'll be watching tonight.
Old 11-11-10, 06:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Very good show.

Never thought, even a year ago, that I would consider a Ford in the future.
I actually would now (not because of the show) and this is from someone who has told himself he would only buy Toyota for the rest of his life.

I find myself really desiring to own the Fusion, Taurus, Fiesta, and '12 Focus.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 11-11-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 06:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw the last half of it.

Ford cut a lot of problems in the bud, and just in time. GM/Chrysler didn't plan it as well as Ford did.

I look forward to Ford's future. Ford itself is doing great, but they need to polish Lincoln badly.
Old 11-11-10, 06:58 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Funny the start of it all was Alan coming in and just putting an end to that crap business culture, if you want to call it that.......
Old 11-11-10, 07:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Saw the last half of it.

Ford cut a lot of problems in the bud, and just in time. GM/Chrysler didn't plan it as well as Ford did.

I look forward to Ford's future. Ford itself is doing great, but they need to polish Lincoln badly.
Mulally is focused on Lincoln's future. I think we can count on great stuff coming. I think I would start with a new naming system. This "MK.." nonsense has to go.
Old 11-11-10, 07:14 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Some clips in case you missed it.

CEO Alan Mulally

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1622185253&play=1

New Explorer

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1632512363&play=1

Ford Tech

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1638208269&play=1

The Ford family

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1632507681&play=1

India market

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1625892800&play=1
Old 11-11-10, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Mulally is focused on Lincoln's future. I think we can count on great stuff coming. I think I would start with a new naming system. This "MK.." nonsense has to go.
Agreed, naming convention has been discussed here many times. Even amongst the car-oriented crowd here, most do not know or care what MK-blah is what. Unfortunately that also is related to the lack of appeal of current Lincoln product line too.
Old 11-11-10, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
U.S. need to be as bright and energetic-looking as those cars.

And I want that cool prayer-ceremony when I purchase my cars!!!
Old 11-11-10, 07:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, naming convention has been discussed here many times. Even amongst the car-oriented crowd here, most do not know or care what MK-blah is what. Unfortunately that also is related to the lack of appeal of current Lincoln product line too.
Yeah, I'm one of these car nuts that will instantly remember any new car name. Except Lincoln.
It took an added focus to discern the difference between the MK's. I have it down now, but I can only imagine how impossible it is for casual car people.
Old 11-11-10, 07:56 AM
LexFather

Great work Ford, very happy for them.