Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Virtual Lunch with Mark" - Ask Mark Templin, GM & VP of Lexus USA questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 09:04 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Lexus now offering their own in house tuner with F-Sport are there any plans to begin offering engine tuning options in the way of ECU upgrades, bolt-ons, or internals? With BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, and most American companies going to great lengths to accommodate enthusiasts, can Lexus afford to ignore this segment? Acknowledging they do offer intakes and axle-back exhausts for the IS models...In my opinion still not enough when compared to rivals.
Old 11-11-10, 09:51 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

- With Lexus making overtures to the sportier side of the market, when will a Z4/SLK class competitor roadster/coupe become available?

- The LS has been always known for it's unmatched quality, but in the recent rash of recalls, even the LS 460 has had apparent issues. When will we see a return to the unquestionable level of quality, fit, finish, materials and reliability through out the Lexus line, and particularly in the LS?

- Will there be an LFA like car as a permanent fixture in the Lexus/F lineup, or will the LFA be unique and not have a successor?

- With the CT being brought over to the US, the relevance of the much disliked HS is brought into question. Will it remain in the lineup, or will the second generation see an ES hybrid, with the HS possibly being made into an EV or an alternative fuel pioneer like the Prius?
Old 11-11-10, 11:32 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Q1 - Given the rather large aftermarket options for the Supra, SC and IS300 with the 3L in-line 6 cylinder engine; was it a conscious decision of Lexus to make the 2nd generation IS model harder to upgrade extensively? The current offerings are very spars.

Q2 – Will the 3rd generation IS be more “Tuner” friendly in this regard?
Old 11-11-10, 11:37 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to hear what Lexus is doing on the engine front.

1) Any supercharged or turbocharged engines in the works?

2) Are diesels even in consideration?
Old 11-11-10, 12:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,

What is the format for this going to be like? Is he going to be posting the questions and answers on the lexus fb page?
Old 11-11-10, 07:32 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Will the ES model ever have a RWD option?

Will Lexus continue to have aggressive marketing, promoting the Lexus luxury, reliability, and sportiness?

Will the next gen IS have an overall longer body to accommodate extra leg space in the rear, while keeping the same (or improving) the driver, front passenger, and cargo space? Possibly an extra 6 inches to overall length, and an extra 3-4 inches in the rear?

Will you focus on keeping the Lexus line up lighter in curb weight?

Will the GSF be a true competitor against the M5?
Old 11-11-10, 07:34 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Quick question, don't think I'll be able to participate in tomorrows lunch with Mark, so can someone post the conversation in detail in the Car Chat forums? (ie, Q & A?)

Also, can you tell us which questions will be used for tomorrow? I would love for every question asked here to be asked to Mark, but we're not going to have much time and the questions will be limited, so can you let us know which will be used?
Old 11-11-10, 10:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Ryan,

What is the format for this going to be like? Is he going to be posting the questions and answers on the lexus fb page?
He's going to answer a series of questions we provide, including a few from the other enthusiast sites. He will also answer some of the live questions that are sent in during that noon time slot tomorrow. The answers to the questions will be broadcasted simultaneously on FB and Twitter.
Old 11-12-10, 05:01 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Lexus will find this one-hour internet virtual chat will bring a wide range of questions from what might be called existential

"What is the greatest challenge facing Lexus today?"

to the problem specific

"Why does my navigation system take me to point C when I want to go from A to B?"

and one-hour will be spent typing answers rather than providing answers.

Although I do appreciate the effort, I hope the answers aren't "…greatest challenge…selling cars to make a profit…"

Just hope the internet can handle the traffic!!

Old 11-12-10, 07:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Incredible
Quick question, don't think I'll be able to participate in tomorrows lunch with Mark, so can someone post the conversation in detail in the Car Chat forums? (ie, Q & A?)

Also, can you tell us which questions will be used for tomorrow? I would love for every question asked here to be asked to Mark, but we're not going to have much time and the questions will be limited, so can you let us know which will be used?
I should be able to post this at the end of the day. Yes you all will know which question or questions will be used.
Old 11-12-10, 07:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The questions have been submitted! Remember to tune in at 12PM PST on Lexus' FB or Twitter page.

www.facebook.com/lexus
www.twitter.com/lexus
Old 11-12-10, 10:45 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When are you going to upgrade the navigation system? Navigon on my iphone is 10 times better than that plain old pedestrian navigation system on my 2010 lexus ls460.
Old 11-12-10, 12:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Lexus via FB
Our first question comes from Eric Wisniewski via Social Car News: Smart Phones are becoming a standard for the well-equipped professional. Bluetooth integration for the phone is nice, but what are Lexus' plans for full integration with the... sound system (play and control digital content on the mobile device(s)) as well as access to the main vehicle screen(s) and controls? In short, what are your plans to provide us with full integration of our handheld devices with the interfaces of our Lexus vehicle?

Good question Eric. At Lexus, we update our models every 5 or 6 years, but in the electronics world we see new things every 5 or 6 minutes, so it’s tough for all manufacturers to keep up. That said, this is a major area we’re addressing right now and we've already done some great things like being able to send 200 locations to your navigation system via your computer or mobile device. That said, I think we can do a much better job. The key for us is integrating this technology in a seamless way which you’ll certainly see in the future.
Old 11-12-10, 12:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Lexus via Twitter:

GMan7000: @Lexus new to this. How does Lexus avoid chasing every niche market? #LexusChat

@GMan7000 We can't be everything to everyone, we focus on popular segments and offering the highest quality products in those segments ^MT

Last edited by flipside909; 11-12-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 12:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Lexus via FB:This question comes via Lexus Enthusiast from Lenzy King.

The Lexus quality & recall issues over the last year coupled with fierce and more nimble competitors has shaken my once unyielding defense of brand Lexus. What does Lexus plan to do ...to revitalize its current owner base and bring those who are jumping ship back into the fold?

Thanks for being so loyal, Lenzy. We appreciate it and to answer your question, we're going back to our roots, which is listening to our customers (just like we are doing right now) and giving them what they want. We've shifted a thousand of engineers to product R&D, building tons of prototypes and ensuring we have the best quality cars in the industry.

Quick Reply: "Virtual Lunch with Mark" - Ask Mark Templin, GM & VP of Lexus USA questions.