Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R.I.P. 0-60 magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Post R.I.P. 0-60 magazine

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/11/rip-0-60/

And just like that, it's gone. According to a tweet by the Editor-in-Chief of 0-60, Mike Spinelli, the startup buff-book has been canned by Harris Publications after a scant three years on newsstands. We've yet to get official confirmation from Harris, nor do we know exactly why the magazine was shuttered, but we do know that the motoring world was a better place because of 0-60.

We presume the last issue will be the Winter 2011 edition (on left) which includes a test of the new Koenigsegg Agera. Check the teaser video of the K-egg after the jump and for a blast from the past, check out our original feature on the first issue of 0-60 way back in 2007.

Old 11-12-10, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't comment directly on the magazine because I didn't read it, but, in general, there's a lot more to the auto world (and to the choice of a vehicle) than simple max-performance times. IMO, 0-60, 1/4-mile, and top-speeds have become standard axioms in the auto world (along with the phrase "what'll she do?") for too many people.

I won't knock the magazine, though, for those who enjoyed reading it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 10:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never read it, won't miss it.
Old 11-14-10, 04:17 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was a good publication - it was more geared to my taste than mags like MotorTrend or Car & Driver.
Old 11-14-10, 04:38 PM
LexFather

I thought it was a good mag, better than the usual guys. Shame. Seems if you are not owned by a huge company your chances to survive on print of slimmer each year.

Old 11-15-10, 06:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It was a great publication. Sad that its other great publication getting cannibalized. Very true about the survival, funny but it almost parallels the way car forums are run nowadays.
Old 11-24-10, 07:54 PM
LexFather

The winter 2011 issue (the last I guess) has 2 one page articles on the GS 450h they did for SEMA and on a IS C F-sport.

Here are their final words

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/11/murder-she-wrote/

0-60: The Next Chapter

The rumors of the our (print version) demise have not been greatly exaggerated.

Dear loyal 0-60 reader,
It’s with a heavy heart that we confirm today the rumors that were going around last week. As of this moment in time, 0-60 Magazine will no longer be published in print format. It will however live on in both online format and in experiential marketing form at racing series and live events.

We had an amazing run these past three years and we’d like to thank each and every one of you for the support you gave us as we created what we felt was the best damn car magazine ever. It wouldn’t be a lie to tell you that all of us here invested actual blood, sweat and tears into each and every issue. From the ridiculous adventures we undertook to the late nights spent at our offices in midtown Manhattan, chowing on delivery Thai and working on layouts until our eyes bled, we sank everything we had into the magazine and we’re proud of the results. The approach we took to making a car magazine was different from day one, but the end product is one that we feel will stand the test of time. Go back and read any of our issues a few years from now and you’ll see what we mean. They’ll still be interesting and exciting to read—and we guarantee none of the domestic “buff books” will ever hold a candle to the 0-60 standard for photography and art.

That all having been said, the economics of print and online are different and we’re pleased to report that the same great journalistic standards, stories and wit you’ve come to love in print form will continue online. In the coming months, you’ll notice an increase not just in news coverage, but also in unique content as we try to grow our online presence and infuse this site with some of that extra in-book tone we now have laying around.

Again, we thank you all for your dedicated support. While we may not have been the biggest car magazine out there, we definitely had the most passionate readership. And believe us, that means more to the entire edit team than you can imagine. If you’ve got questions, comments or concerns, feel free to leave them in the comments below. We’ll do our best to address them.
—The 0-60 staff