Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 02:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
The loaners and perks from luxury brands are not exactly "free" either. You are paying for that stuff in the premium price of the car, service, parts, etc. When you pay $100+ for a simple oil change at the Lexus dealership as oppossed to $45-65 at other places you are more then paying for your "free" rental car/free nicer coffee/nicer waiting room.

I can pay $50 or 60 for a oil change somewhere else like a Toyota dealership and rent a car for $14 so I don't have to wait around and come out well ahead over spending a hundred dollars or more at the Lexus dealership to get the free rental if they offer it and nice waiting room..
Not really comparable as that is assumed. One of the reasons to buy a higher priced car is for those extra "luxuries". Saying "oh you are paying for it" is simply stating the obvious.

If someone wants to be cheap, yeah they can go to Toyota to get an oil change and try to rent a car but where is the closest rental place? That takes time and time is money.

I don't think loaners are extended to customers at these pedestrian brands, which is one of the challenges Hyundai has as it offers cars like the Genesis and Equus. I believe they will/do get loaners, with Equus buyers getting only Genesis sedans as loaners so they don't have to drive the rest of the pedestrian lowly brand.

Old 11-13-10, 02:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My Toyota dealer has loaners.
Old 11-13-10, 04:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i thought it was common knowledge that most non-luxury brand dealers don't loan cars.

That said, I think Lexus warranty sucks too.
I should get my own private G6 charter jet with my car purchase. Here to Vegas in 20 minutes.
Old 11-14-10, 09:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I wonder if you get a loaner then if you take the equus in???
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think loaners are extended to customers at these pedestrian brands, which is one of the challenges Hyundai has as it offers cars like the Genesis and Equus. I believe they will/do get loaners, with Equus buyers getting only Genesis sedans as loaners so they don't have to drive the rest of the pedestrian lowly brand.
Yes Hyundai's press release said specifically that Equus's owners will get either an Equus or Genesis sedan as a free loaner when their Equus is in the shop.

The funny thing is, I heard quite a few Bentley's owners said Bentley dealers don't provide free loaner I am guessing Bentley's owners typically owns multiple cars or they even have other assistant type of people that take the car into the dealer for them, so the dealer don't have to give out loaner car? Either that or they are not gonna give out Bentley as free loaner, I guess they could give out Audi or VW as loaner.
Old 11-15-10, 03:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Buy a vehicle from a value brand, and you wont get the perks of a premium brand.

And even with premium brands you're not guaranteed a loaner. Usually loaners are only if you come in for service by appointment (scheduled 2 weeks in advance) and only at the dealership where you purchased the car. If you come in for an emergency repair, you wont get a loaner.
good points.

my ford dealer has 'some' loaners available, and will loan you one if you ask and one is available. i've done it a couple of times. fun driving the funky flex around. i also had a STRIPPED last gen focus one time, which was not fun.
Old 11-15-10, 03:42 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Well, the two are usually connected together. Often the manufacturer specifies a dealer has to either provide a loaner car or rental car (at no charge) for the warranty work. I guess I am used to VW, Lexus and Audi's policies, which are the cars I've owned during the past dozen years. I assumed all manufacturers cover their customer's in the case their cars under warranty have a defect. I can't imagine being carless due to someone else's negligence. If Hyundai really wants to climb up the ladder and offer more, they could go one step above their competitors and offer this service.
Lexus provides loaners at no charge for warranty work. Audi dealerships make you pay a fee, usually when you purchase the car, for loaners. Some, like Land Rover, contract with Hertz... so, yes, when you bring in your $100k Range Rover they give you a Saturn (or w/e they use now).

It depends on the dealership and manufacturer.
Old 11-15-10, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Audi's policy is to provide free alternate transportation for warranty issues, whether it be a dealership loaner car or outside rental car (free). The fee you are thinking of is for the servicing of the vehicle, which can be bought for around $700. But warranty work is covered with the free loaner or outside rental company if the work takes more than one day.
Old 11-16-10, 10:23 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I pay for a LS460, I expect a loaner during service.

I pay for 2 Hyundais, I expect paying for a taxi during service.

Hyundai may have a pretty decent 'bargain car', but they cut out many amenities that you get during service. Walking into a Hyundai dealership makes me feel like I've walked into some small town muffler shop.
Old 11-16-10, 12:05 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I pay for a LS460, I expect a loaner during service.

I pay for 2 Hyundais, I expect paying for a taxi during service.

Hyundai may have a pretty decent 'bargain car', but they cut out many amenities that you get during service. Walking into a Hyundai dealership makes me feel like I've walked into some small town muffler shop.
Do people really care about amenities when you go in for service? I don't go in for the free coffee and donuts, I just want my car serviced and that's it at a reasonable price.
Old 11-17-10, 01:08 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
Do people really care about amenities when you go in for service? I don't go in for the free coffee and donuts, I just want my car serviced and that's it at a reasonable price.
Amenities are not the number one reason I take my LS to the dealer. But because this thread was based on the fact that Hyundai doesn't give you an amenity such as a loaner vehicle, I found it appropriate to comment on advantages of the Lexus dealer - amenity-wise.

Do I take my LS430 to the Lexus dealer for donuts and coffee? No, but I do take it for the fact that I have complete confidence that my Lexus will be serviced correctly, and that I will have reliable, personal transportation while it's being serviced.
Old 11-17-10, 02:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Amenities are not the number one reason I take my LS to the dealer. But because this thread was based on the fact that Hyundai doesn't give you an amenity such as a loaner vehicle, I found it appropriate to comment on advantages of the Lexus dealer - amenity-wise.

Do I take my LS430 to the Lexus dealer for donuts and coffee? No, but I do take it for the fact that I have complete confidence that my Lexus will be serviced correctly, and that I will have reliable, personal transportation while it's being serviced.
Not all Lexus dealers have those amenities though. Our dealer (The only one in the State) has a small service waiting room, no TV, no snacks, nothing. One time I waited for my car a little too long (Car was on their other lot) so the cashier felt bad for me and gave me free bottled water, but other than that its not that luxurious. The brand new Honda dealership that opened up is 10X more luxurious in that aspect. With that said, would you elect NOT to buy a Lexus anymore if that were the case for you? Just wondering.
Old 11-17-10, 02:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Not all Lexus dealers have those amenities though. Our dealer (The only one in the State) has a small service waiting room, no TV, no snacks, nothing. One time I waited for my car a little too long (Car was on their other lot) so the cashier felt bad for me and gave me free bottled water, but other than that its not that luxurious. The brand new Honda dealership that opened up is 10X more luxurious in that aspect. With that said, would you elect NOT to buy a Lexus anymore if that were the case for you? Just wondering.

My Lexus dealer has really cut back on the goodies in the last few years.
From finger sandwiches,yogurt parfaits,bagels,danish etc to Keurig coffee K-Cups,tea,hot chocolate and cookies.I didn't see any spring water or soda on my last visit either.
Always get a loaner,though.
Old 11-17-10, 02:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My two cents on what I'm paying for when I buy any car. I don't pay for the dealership experience or the service experience. When I pay money for a car, I'm paying for a good car that I like. All that I expect from my dealership service department is to honor whatever legit warranty claims I may have, and to service and/or repair my car proficiently. I don't care one bit about the facilities since I want to spend as little time at the dealership as possible. For me, the car is the main thing.
Old 11-17-10, 08:45 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Audi's policy is to provide free alternate transportation for warranty issues, whether it be a dealership loaner car or outside rental car (free). The fee you are thinking of is for the servicing of the vehicle, which can be bought for around $700. But warranty work is covered with the free loaner or outside rental company if the work takes more than one day.
No, that's not what I'm thinking of. It is a fee for loaners and such.
Old 11-17-10, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Very much the exception due to location, HI.

Quick Reply: Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !