Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 09:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an exception at Lexus that I will experience.
Old 11-18-10, 12:07 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
My two cents on what I'm paying for when I buy any car. I don't pay for the dealership experience or the service experience. When I pay money for a car, I'm paying for a good car that I like. All that I expect from my dealership service department is to honor whatever legit warranty claims I may have, and to service and/or repair my car proficiently. I don't care one bit about the facilities since I want to spend as little time at the dealership as possible. For me, the car is the main thing.
+1

I'd trade ALL amenities/experience/feeling like a big shot/freebies/loaners/etc. if they'd charge me $20 for an oil change instead of $200+. But then, I'm not insecure enough that I need those things in life.
Old 11-18-10, 04:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
+1

I'd trade ALL amenities/experience/feeling like a big shot/freebies/loaners/etc. if they'd charge me $20 for an oil change instead of $200+. But then, I'm not insecure enough that I need those things in life.

My vehicles only see dealer service for warranty issues.I do my own oil and filter changes along with other minor maintenance and have a friend's shop that does other repairs.
I don't mind working on my vehicles and find $165 oil change and tire rotations ridiculous.$100 for a 5 minute $20 cabin filter change is also crazy.
I still enjoy goodies when I'm if for warranty work.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-18-10 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 07:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the Hyundai dealer offer a rental at a low rate? Porsche dealers do that here for simple oil changes.
Old 11-18-10, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
+1

Its not about being insecure its about people wanting better amenities, liking luxurious accommodations and a higher standard of service. Otherwise why don't we all save a buck and go to JiffyLube for services We would also all drive Corollas and go to the Motel 6 instead of the Sofeitel.

I change my oils in my Lexus vehicles but I also keep a fantastic relationship with my dealer who has bent over backwards for myself, family and friends that not many other dealerships could match.

Thats not insecurity, that is smart.

Lexus built a reputation on dealership service that is still considered the pinnacle of service where its emulated throughout different industries. People like to be treated well and people like amenities. In regards to autos, most brands have tried to create a better dealership experience as people like it.

If people didn't like it, the entire industry would not have spent billions to improve their dealerships. For those that don't care, they can ignore the improvements or go to Jiffy Lube.

Old 11-18-10, 08:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In big cities such as NY, its not only the service that you get with premium dealership, but also the location of the dealerships that is extremely important.

For instance, my BMW dealership is right off the exit of a parkway (where no trucks are allowed) in a nice residential neighborhood, with a parking garage two blocks away, and even reasonable amount of street parking. Their service department isn't too far away, also fairly conveniently located for a big city. They even offer pickup/dropoff service, long as you schedule it in advance.

When it comes to pedestrian car dealerships, and even some premium dealerships, (Bayridge Lexus for instance is located in the biggest craphole, Plaza Acura isn't much better) they are often located in the industrial parts of the city, on busy streets with lots of traffic, no parking anywhere in sight, showroom and service often under the same roof. The aggravation and time wasted trying to find a parking spot, and potential $115 parking ticket is just not worth saving a few bucks on oil change.

Of course you always have the option to buy your car from the dealership located in the boonies, but then you'll waste a lot of time driving there when you have to take the car for service.
Old 11-18-10, 08:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just for example, here's what you get when you go for service to Bayridge Toyota. Notice cars double parked through the whole block. Last time I went there to get some fluids I parked six blocks away.

Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !-w122b.jpg
Old 11-18-10, 11:07 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not all Lexus dealers have those amenities though. Our dealer (The only one in the State) has a small service waiting room, no TV, no snacks, nothing. One time I waited for my car a little too long (Car was on their other lot) so the cashier felt bad for me and gave me free bottled water, but other than that its not that luxurious. The brand new Honda dealership that opened up is 10X more luxurious in that aspect. With that said, would you elect NOT to buy a Lexus anymore if that were the case for you? Just wondering.
Sorry to hear about your dealership experience. OF course not all dealerships are the same, and I won't argue there. Point is, my dealer has always given us exceptional service, I take the car there for big maintenance intervals.

Service is not the reason I bought the car, but from my PREVIOUS experiences, I expect great service when I bring the car in.
Old 11-18-10, 11:15 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I change my oils in my Lexus vehicles but I also keep a fantastic relationship with my dealer who has bent over backwards for myself, family and friends that not many other dealerships could match.

Thats not insecurity, that is smart.
+1. Building good rapport with the dealership is always a good thing to do. I regularly service the LS430 at the dealer on major service intervals (60K, 90K... etc), but I prefer changing my own oil when I have time.
Old 11-18-10, 12:53 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

loaners without asking and a good relationship with my SA accounts for a good 15-20% of my purchasing decision when buying a lexus. are 200 dollar services ridiculous? maybe given that people do it themselves at more than half the cost. but for me who doesnt know who to do it I have accepted a long time ago that 200 is simply the cost of those services. In other words, I guess I am used to the price already.

on a side note, my dad took his toyota in for a major service and when it was estimated that it would cost $700 dollars, my dad tried to bail. the SA gave him a coupon and a loaner. lol. So non luxury brands have loaners too.
Old 11-18-10, 02:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How do you keep a fantastic relationship without going there for service?

From my experience, they only love you if you take the car in consistently for $300 inspections and tire rotation.
Old 11-18-10, 02:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The 2 Lexus dealers that are close to my home, what they offer you is directly proportional to how much they charge for parts and services.

The expensive one have a 4 stars waiting lounge, a large selections of nice drinks and pastries, and what seems like endless supply of brand new Lexus loaner cars. But they mark up the parts 30% higher then MSRP And their services are equally more expenesive. I do admit the quality of their work is one of the best I have seen from any dealer.

The cheaper one have a 2 stars waiting lounge, tiny free bottle waters and coke only, and loaner cars are mostly Camrys with a small amount of Lexus. I also heard a lot of horror stories from their work. But they sell their parts at MSRP and lower price on services too.

So in my town, you get what you pay for. It doesn't have anything to do with the brands since they are both Lexus dealers.

But I think in general, what the dealer offer is solely depends on the individual dealer, have nothing to do with the manufacturers. But of course in general, the Bentley dealers are nicer then the Hyundai dealers

Last edited by BNR34; 11-18-10 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 03:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

From my experience, they only love you if you take the car in consistently for $300 inspections and tire rotation.
Buy 5 vehicles in 3-4 years.My kids and I did that and we get treated real nice.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-18-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 03:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Sorry to hear about your dealership experience. OF course not all dealerships are the same, and I won't argue there. Point is, my dealer has always given us exceptional service, I take the car there for big maintenance intervals.

Service is not the reason I bought the car, but from my PREVIOUS experiences, I expect great service when I bring the car in.
My point really is to say that my dealership experience at our Lexus isn't bad at all. It's good. Not because of how the place looks but because they get the job done. I enjoyed most of my Lexus cars not because of the dealership, but because the car was good. I guess I'm just really simple when it comes down to certain things.
Old 11-18-10, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34

I've tried most every Lexus dealer here and my relationship is different than most owners but I have bought multiple vehicles from them, send multiple referrals who have bought vehicles and send many owners to them for service. To me my dealer Hennessy Lexus is simply much better than the others in particular the Gwinnett location. The other dealerships are okay and one on the southside is pretty bad to me.

Even though I do my own oil changes they have done major services and installed many modified parts so its not like they are being short changed, even if I buy the parts.

A car is most peoples 2nd largest purchase behind a home and I don't understand why anyone would not want a great relationship with their dealer.

My point really is to say that my dealership experience at our Lexus isn't bad at all. It's good. Not because of how the place looks but because they get the job done. I enjoyed most of my Lexus cars not because of the dealership, but because the car was good. I guess I'm just really simple when it comes down to certain things.
Again depends on the person.
Some people like going to a nicer grocery store which is more expensive than one that is cheaper but looks older.
Some people prefer exceptional hotels while some people don't really care.
Some people rather a more expensive home in a desirable zip code then a bigger one that is cheaper in a regular zip code.

The market seems to like nice dealerships since they all are improving and we have seen the luxury brands invest billions to improve dealerships, some to hotel levels.

We also have to recognize the power of women. Women like these luxurious dealerships and they will spend their money there instead of an average looking dealer.

Quick Reply: Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !