Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !

So I guess to make up for their 100k mile warranty, they have taken out other perks that pretty much every other manufacturer includes. My dad's Veracruz is still having some major mechanical issues and Hyundai does not pay for loaner or rental cars. I had pretty much assumed it was the industry standard today that nearly all car companies provide alternate transportation when your car is in for long-term warranty work. Not so here. Or does Nissan, Honda, and Toyota also not provide transportation?
I don't see Hyundai building a good reputation with this policy. Most people don't keep their car for 7-10 years anyway, so Hyundai is saving a buck with what they've cut out. I spoke to corporate today to express my opinion.
Old 11-13-10, 01:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Loaner policy is different from one dealership to another, they are not provided by the corporate.
Old 11-13-10, 01:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Loaner policy is different from one dealership to another, they are not provided by the corporate.
Is that how it is for Nissan, Toyota, and the rest? If so, what is one to do without a car for three days or a week?
Old 11-13-10, 01:34 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Is that how it is for Nissan, Toyota, and the rest? If so, what is one to do without a car for three days or a week?
I don't think our Toyota and Honda dealer provides loaner cars, but they do have a shuttle service that will take you to your destination within the given mile radius. Usually around 10 miles or something like that. It seems only the Luxury car dealerships actually have loaners, but even at our Lexus dealership, the loaner cars are only available to you if you schedule your service in advanced so you can reserve one, and if your car is going to be out for a while. They too have a shuttle service to take you where you need to go if you don't get a loaner.

PS. What does the car loaner policy have to do with the manufacturers warranty?
Old 11-13-10, 02:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't think our Toyota and Honda dealer provides loaner cars, but they do have a shuttle service that will take you to your destination within the given mile radius. Usually around 10 miles or something like that. It seems only the Luxury car dealerships actually have loaners, but even at our Lexus dealership, the loaner cars are only available to you if you schedule your service in advanced so you can reserve one, and if your car is going to be out for a while. They too have a shuttle service to take you where you need to go if you don't get a loaner.

PS. What does the car loaner policy have to do with the manufacturers warranty?
Well, the two are usually connected together. Often the manufacturer specifies a dealer has to either provide a loaner car or rental car (at no charge) for the warranty work. I guess I am used to VW, Lexus and Audi's policies, which are the cars I've owned during the past dozen years. I assumed all manufacturers cover their customer's in the case their cars under warranty have a defect. I can't imagine being carless due to someone else's negligence. If Hyundai really wants to climb up the ladder and offer more, they could go one step above their competitors and offer this service.
Old 11-13-10, 05:12 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the two are connected. Getting a loaner car is kind of like getting a driver's license. It's a privilege and they're not required to give you one. Most (if not all) dealerships will usually offer shuttle service, but that's about it.
Old 11-13-10, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Is that how it is for Nissan, Toyota, and the rest?
yes! so by your logic, all those warranties stink.

If so, what is one to do without a car for three days or a week?
uh, rent a car?
Old 11-13-10, 06:28 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, loaners have nothing to do with warranties.

No need to bring complaints toward Hyundai for this.

The only makes you can expect free loaners is luxury brands. That's part of the luxury privilege. As for other standard brands, it's a dealer by dealer thing. At those that offer loaners, you can bet you'll pay more for the service even if the loaners are advertised as "free". There's no such thing as "free". You're paying one way or the other.
Old 11-13-10, 08:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

The only makes you can expect free loaners is luxury brands. That's part of the luxury privilege. As for other standard brands, it's a dealer by dealer thing. At those that offer loaners, you can bet you'll pay more for the service even if the loaners are advertised as "free". There's no such thing as "free". You're paying one way or the other.
Yeah, we're so used to lexus/other luxury brands that you get a loaner for warranty/extended works.
I got upset also when my friend's jeep had to go in for a week with no rental

I wonder if you get a loaner then if you take the equus in???
Old 11-13-10, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

basically thats what happens when you buy 30k car in low cost car brand store... they are not used to providing these extra services.
Old 11-13-10, 09:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

There is a Hyundai dealership not too far from me and I see their loaners all of the time. Not sure what is necessary to get one but they are all over the place. No doubt a dealer specific thing.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-13-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 09:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The loaners and perks from luxury brands are not exactly "free" either. You are paying for that stuff in the premium price of the car, service, parts, etc. When you pay $100+ for a simple oil change at the Lexus dealership as oppossed to $45-65 at other places you are more then paying for your "free" rental car/free nicer coffee/nicer waiting room.

I can pay $50 or 60 for a oil change somewhere else like a Toyota dealership and rent a car for $14 so I don't have to wait around and come out well ahead over spending a hundred dollars or more at the Lexus dealership to get the free rental if they offer it and nice waiting room.

As for the Hyundai warranty and issues I would do like you did complaining to corporate and would also complain to the dealership about being without a car while they fix the problems, they may work something out like a free oil change or may pay some of your rental car costs or even offer you a dealership rental. It does not hurt to see what they do.
Old 11-13-10, 10:53 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on my experience with Nissan and Mazda, both have never offered me a loaner. One Nissan dealer offers a shuttle (pick up and drop off), the other one does not. The Mazda dealers offered me discounts on a rental for the day but that's about it. However I do know of some further away from me that do offer loaners but I don't see the need to travel so far just to get me a loaner, I can always take the courtesy shuttle and pick up or mass transit, if anything.
Old 11-13-10, 01:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Update: My dad found a dealer that will give him a loaner for one day.
While I am clear about Hyundai's policy and how loaners work, I still think it's a poor set-up. Especially for a company that goes out of their way to brag about how wonderful their warranty is.
Thanks for the above replies.
Old 11-13-10, 01:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Buy a vehicle from a value brand, and you wont get the perks of a premium brand.

And even with premium brands you're not guaranteed a loaner. Usually loaners are only if you come in for service by appointment (scheduled 2 weeks in advance) and only at the dealership where you purchased the car. If you come in for an emergency repair, you wont get a loaner.

Quick Reply: Hyundai's warranty actually STINKS !