Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 03:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.

I love it when the girl who answered the phone with a very sweet voice is trained to please you anyway she can with an excellent attitude. She say yes to everything.

Of course she doesn't know all the specific about the car, I only have 2 questions and she don't know the answer to either.

1, Do the doors have soft closer. AKA motorize door latch.

2, When will the 5.0L V8 be available.

The personalized demonstrations means the sales dude will drive the car to your house for you to test drive.

For anyone who is interested or have question on the car, here is their contact infos:

CustomerSupport@HyundaiEquus.com
877-378-8727

I can't wait to be treated like a king
Old 11-15-10, 03:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

report back what you think of it.

MotorWeek wasn't real impressed with the interior.
Old 11-15-10, 03:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I would imagine it would be just like the Genesis sedan, which is about 70-80% of a Lexus GS350/460.

Meaning everything is there, but the refinement, silkiness is only 80% of a Lexus.

The price is exactly 20% lower then a Lexus too, so you get what you pay for, is not really a bargain, just a cheaper alternative. You pay a little less, get a little less.
Old 11-15-10, 03:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The nice girl just called me back, confirmed that the door's soft closer are standard.

Cool, it is my favorite feature on a luxury car!
Old 11-15-10, 03:53 PM
svagusta
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that I am not the market for this car, but I still don't know who is?? It is a $60,000 vehicle right? Hyundai's bread and butter is dominating/creating the low end market. At $60,000, a customer can buy practically anything and I don't see them wanting save a few pennies by going with the Hyundai instead of the 5 series or GS or anything else...

I know they said the same about the Genesis, which I think is a great car btw, but the Equus doesn't even look the part to me. It's easy to tell that a lot more thought and effort went into the Luxury brands.
Old 11-15-10, 04:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I can explain, I understand it completely

Originally Posted by svagusta
I understand that I am not the market for this car, but I still don't know who is??
It is a car for people looking for value and not image.

It is a $60,000 vehicle right?
Yes, $58k base, $65k loaded.

Hyundai's bread and butter is dominating/creating the low end market.
Not anymore, today's Hyundai is the same price as a Toyota/Honda. It is no longer low end. They are reaching into the highend with the Genesis sedan/Equus.

At $60,000, a customer can buy practically anything and I don't see them wanting save a few pennies by going with the Hyundai instead of the 5 series or GS or anything else...
Nope, you can't buy much with $60k in the luxury car world. A 240 hp BMW 528i with a few necessary options is $60k. And the Equus is at the LS460L, 750iL, S550, XJ LWB level, not the GS/5-series level. The Equus is extremely well equipped, it has pretty much EVERYTHING a fully loaded LS460L, 750iL and S550 has. Let's just compare the fully loaded Equus at $65k, a comparably equipped LS/7/S is at $95k, $110k, $125k. So you are not talking about saving a few pennies, it is $30k~$60k saving.

I know they said the same about the Genesis, which I think is a great car btw, but the Equus doesn't even look the part to me. It's easy to tell that a lot more thought and effort went into the Luxury brands.
The biggest thing the Equus won't have obviously is the luxury badge, then it won't have the ultra high refinement the other cars has. But it is a huge saving. All depends on personal preference, for the same price, I much rather have a full size 385 hp V8 with reclining massaging seats and power soft door closer Equus, then a 240 hp 6-cylinders mid size 528i with no fancy luxury feature.

Remember this is how Lexus started 20 years ago with the LS400, and everyone said the same thing of "why would anyone buy a glorify Toyota over a Mercedes Benz to save a few pennies?"

Lexus is the best selling luxury car brand today

Hyundai is just following Toyota's foot step.
Old 11-15-10, 05:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

svagusta,

Everyone have a budget and they look at what they can get for that budget.

I looked up your other post, so you got a very nice SC300.

A SC300 is a full size 6-cylinders flagship luxury coupe.

Let's say for the same price, your other alternatives are dinky 4-cylinders BMW 325i, Audi A4, Benz C240....with much less power and features, which one would you have? Assuming you are not looking for that European's brand image.

I think the Equus will sell, there are tons of value conscious consumers out there. Especially at the $60k level, those middle class people are counting every dollar they spend and they care more about value then image.

It won't sell after $100k as people at that level start to care about image a lot more, as can be seen by Lexus. Even Lexus can't break the $100k level, the $120k LS600hL is not selling much.
Old 11-15-10, 05:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
I can explain, I understand it completely

It is a car for people looking for value and not image.

Yes, $58k base, $65k loaded.

Not anymore, today's Hyundai is the same price as a Toyota/Honda. It is no longer low end. They are reaching into the highend with the Genesis sedan/Equus.

Nope, you can't buy much with $60k in the luxury car world. A 240 hp BMW 528i with a few necessary options is $60k. And the Equus is at the LS460L, 750iL, S550, XJ LWB level, not the GS/5-series level. The Equus is extremely well equipped, it has pretty much EVERYTHING a fully loaded LS460L, 750iL and S550 has. Let's just compare the fully loaded Equus at $65k, a comparably equipped LS/7/S is at $95k, $110k, $125k. So you are not talking about saving a few pennies, it is $30k~$60k saving.

The biggest thing the Equus won't have obviously is the luxury badge, then it won't have the ultra high refinement the other cars has. But it is a huge saving. All depends on personal preference, for the same price, I much rather have a full size 385 hp V8 with reclining massaging seats and power soft door closer Equus, then a 240 hp 6-cylinders mid size 528i with no fancy luxury feature.

Remember this is how Lexus started 20 years ago with the LS400, and everyone said the same thing of "why would anyone buy a glorify Toyota over a Mercedes Benz to save a few pennies?"

Lexus is the best selling luxury car brand today

Hyundai is just following Toyota's foot step.
No its not history repeating itself. The LS was lauded as best in class and a complete grand slam homerun. The Germans ran back to their drawing boards. Lexus service then set the standard as did dealerships.

The Equus is great and fantastic but doesn't seem to do anything better than the competition other than be cheaper in price. If anything it does embarress the Saabs, Volvos, Acuras, Lincolns, Infiniti's who don't have anything in this range (some have NEVER had something like this)

Like the RL, Q45, A8, Phaeton there are good luxury cars that appeal to those that don't really care about the badge but in this class, it is about class and badge first. Then its not like the S/7/LS are average cars, they are exceptional.

Its great it is being offered here, it seems to be a very good car but it is not some game changer like the LS was.

Old 11-15-10, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, BNR34. By all means, share your opinion of the car with us once you've had a chance to try it out.

I've got a number of CL requests for an Equus full-review, and I'm going to try and review/test-drive one the conventional way....at the dealership. But the Equus marketing is unique, and that may not be possible. If not, I may end up doing what you did and scheduling a test-drive at my house...but I'd prefer not to.
Old 11-15-10, 06:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No its not history repeating itself. The LS was lauded as best in class and a complete grand slam homerun. The Germans ran back to their drawing boards. Lexus service then set the standard as did dealerships.

The Equus is great and fantastic but doesn't seem to do anything better than the competition other than be cheaper in price. If anything it does embarress the Saabs, Volvos, Acuras, Lincolns, Infiniti's who don't have anything in this range (some have NEVER had something like this)

Like the RL, Q45, A8, Phaeton there are good luxury cars that appeal to those that don't really care about the badge but in this class, it is about class and badge first. Then its not like the S/7/LS are average cars, they are exceptional.

Its great it is being offered here, it seems to be a very good car but it is not some game changer like the LS was.
I agreed, the Equus won't make a drastic change like the LS400 did back in 1990, but I think it is a very good cheaper alternative. And the discount is huge, I am predicting Hyundai will find enough buyers to make it work. It is $30k off from a LS460L with the executive class seating package, $30k is hard to ignore for someone buying a car less then $100k, that's 30%!!

And please don't mention the RL in this thread, the RL is not at this level anyway you look at it. A V8 is required at this level

The biggest advantage of having the Equus here is, it gives Lexus some much needed competition. Personally I think the LS460 is kinda weak, the Equus will put Lexus on their toes and push them to make the next generation LS much better to distance themselve.

Don't get me wrong, I like to stay with Lexus, I hope the next generation LS is spectacular. But if Lexus continue to be unimpressive and Hyundai surpassed them, I won't have any problem switching brand. I don't have any brand loyality, I buy whatever is the best for my hard earn money!

Last edited by BNR34; 11-15-10 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 06:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, BNR34. By all means, share your opinion of the car with us once you've had a chance to try it out.
I will once I drive it. The car is scheduled to be here in mid December, so don't hold your breath I won't go crazy indepth like you normally do though

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've got a number of CL requests for an Equus full-review, and I'm going to try and review/test-drive one the conventional way....at the dealership. But the Equus marketing is unique, and that may not be possible. If not, I may end up doing what you did and scheduling a test-drive at my house...but I'd prefer not to.
I am curious of why you don't want him to come to your house?

I am sure you can test drive it at the dealership since they are willing to come to you. I don't see any reason why they won't let you go to them?
Old 11-15-10, 06:20 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they come to your house so you don't get turned off to the fact that you're about to spend $60K and they might have a crappy dealership that they don't want you to see??
Old 11-15-10, 06:23 PM
Aegee14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I would imagine it would be just like the Genesis sedan, which is about 70-80% of a Lexus GS350/460.

Meaning everything is there, but the refinement, silkiness is only 80% of a Lexus.

The price is exactly 20% lower then a Lexus too, so you get what you pay for, is not really a bargain, just a cheaper alternative. You pay a little less, get a little less.
Since price is 20% less and your perception of the car's interior (which I'm assuming you haven't seen in person) is 20% less in quality as well compared to the GS, does that mean in your perception the GS "is not really a bargain" as well?
Old 11-15-10, 06:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
Maybe they come to your house so you don't get turned off to the fact that you're about to spend $60K and they might have a crappy dealership that they don't want you to see??
You are 100% correct.

In order to sell a premium product, it is very necessary to have a premium brand/dealership network. Hyundai realized that but decided it is too expensive to do so. This is their alternate plan, they come to you for everything, initial test drive, they come pick up the car for service/repairs......etc.....so the Equus's owners would never need to go into the crappy dealership that Hyundai have no intention to upgrade.

It works for me, I always think it is silly to have to pay a premium so I can visit a very nice Lexus dealer. I just want a nice car, don't care what the actual dealer looks like, I don't live there
Old 11-15-10, 06:32 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is someone going to pay 60 grand for this car, you know what you can get for that kind of money. this car is fake in an out, fake lexus benz and beemer in and out just look at it. People who have the means to buy a luxury car wont go for it theylle get laughed at.

Quick Reply: Just scheduled my personalized demonstrations on the Hyundai Equus.