Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 02:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automobile magizine announced today that the Volt is their Automobile of the year

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...olt/index.html

I think the Volt will sweep all awards this year.
Old 11-16-10, 05:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done GM. And in this class of car, elements of strange styling are still expected.

I hope the quality and reliability is at least average or better (unlike most GM cars).

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-16-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And in this class of car, elements of strange styling are still expected.
Yep...the first 2000 Honda Insight, the first gas/electric hybrid to be sold in the U.S., was a perfect example. So were all three generations of Prius.

I hope the quality and reliability is at least average or better (unlike most GM cars).
Check out the latest Chevy Malibu, if you have not already done so. I don't think you will be disappointed. I'd probably buy one before I would a new Camry....and I couldn't say that about a new GM car for literally decades.
Old 11-16-10, 09:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Most of GM is now at least average and numerous models are rated above the industry average in quality/reliability.

The Volt is the most tested car in GM's history. I'd bet that the Volt proves to be among the most reliable vehicles out their even with it's massive complexity.

Hey, the Prius has been the most complex vehicle to date yet one of the most trouble free.
Old 11-17-10, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

While I think the Volt is likely going to be a positive game-changer, I don't understand how MT or anyone else can be so sure about it's abilities after only a few week's worth of testing prototypes. Other than what GM has claimed (which is often exaggerated), I don't think this complicated car has been available long enough to have been proven.
Old 11-17-10, 07:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Most of GM is now at least average and numerous models are rated above the industry average in quality/reliability.

The Volt is the most tested car in GM's history. I'd bet that the Volt proves to be among the most reliable vehicles out their even with it's massive complexity.

Hey, the Prius has been the most complex vehicle to date yet one of the most trouble free.
Comparing the degree of medicore/average reliability of typical GM cars is so subjective and meaningless. Many of the desirable and popular GM vehicles have below average reliability (including CTS,Enclave,Acadia,Corvette/Tahoe/Denali). Amongst the Big 3, Ford has made better progress is this department.

Certainly better testing by GM gives the Volt more hope in this area. I've seen the results of better and more extensive reliability testing at Mercedes with the new/current gen C-class, the payoff is obvious.
Old 11-17-10, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

the volt might be technically interesting, but we'll see how well it sells, being so pricey.
Old 11-17-10, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the volt might be technically interesting, but we'll see how well it sells, being so pricey.
You (may) have a point. At some 41K, if you take the difference between that price and the, say, 19-20K or so of the average new Chevy Cruze about to also be released (which willl only get about half the Volt's gas mileage), that 20K difference will buy a LOT of gasoline in the long run.
Old 11-17-10, 10:09 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

From an economics standpoint (weighing fuel costs, and the class of car that the Volt falls in), the Volt shouldn't cost a consumer more than about $30,000.
And I'm talking retail, no tax credits considered.

As mmarshall pointed out, a $20K Cruze is in line with a Volt as far as size/class/features/performance.

A smart consumer can easily run the numbers and realize that during a typical ownership span, the Volt doesn't add up. You'd have to drive it 400-500K to start saving money on fuel. Which is likely to never happen. And long before that, you'd have to replace an expensive battery.

Then there's the added chore of plugging it in each night if desired.

It is of course understood that GM won't even be making money on the Volt even at $41K. In fact, it's believed they will be losing money. That's the whole problem with introducing such advanced technology. Some people will just have to being willing to pay for the privilege and coolness of being an early adopter. Just like anything else. Like paying $600++ for the original iPhone.