Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear (US version): New History channel show premeires 11/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10 | 05:23 PM
daelo74
Driver

Well Adam didn't really like the Mercedes SLS AMG and they are a major sponsor to the show.
Old 12-13-10 | 07:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm not AT ALL a fan of the idea of state-run television but, there are some advantages.

When I saw the segment (4th episide, aired 12/12/10) by Tanner about this "bad-azz Ford truck", followed immediately by a Ford commercial...I couldn't help but wonder if Tanner really liked the truck, or he really liked the fact that Ford was giving his show money, thus keeping him employed.

This was one topic that was brought up when Top Gear America was first announced for commercial broadcast.

I just don't see how these guys are going to be able to get on sponsored television and talk about how "This car is absolute rubbish...anyone who even thinks about buying one of these...is a blathering idiot!"
You bring up a good point but I don't think it will become a problem. Viewers would begin to notice the pattern real quick and possibly boycott the show. First and easiest solution is to not accept car advertising if a conflict of interest is going to be inevitable.
I didn't notice the Ford commercial but it's no surprise that they would love the Raptor for what it is designed for. It's a tremendous truck - especially that Hennessey version. I think it's already become clear that the guys will criticize anything. Doesn't look like they play into advertisers hands.

Originally Posted by daelo74
Well Adam didn't really like the Mercedes SLS AMG and they are a major sponsor to the show.
True. I've seen more Benz ads than anything else if I remember correctly. And I agree, the SLS is borderline ugly.
Old 12-13-10 | 07:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

if a car is good enough, it doesn't need 3 guys to sell it.

that one dude didn't like the SLS, but plenty of people in Dubai do. and that's all that matters.
The people who can afford it in america will buy it regardless of what top gear says.
Old 12-13-10 | 07:43 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Wow, an impressive episode. That Raptor vs. Halo segment was really quite impressive. And that finish! Just a very impressive piece and Tanner is getting more and more natural in his place at Top Gear with every show. Kid Rock was a surprisingly good guest as well.

I thought the SLS review was all over the place; he kept jumping from one part of the car to another, didn't have any flow to it whatsoever. And the paintball sequence was thankfully short but still a little off. Still, good episode.

Anyone notice that they dimmed the studio lights? Looks like they hit pretty much everything on my to-do list...
Old 12-13-10 | 08:45 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Wow, an impressive episode. That Raptor vs. Halo segment was really quite impressive. And that finish! Just a very impressive piece and Tanner is getting more and more natural in his place at Top Gear with every show. Kid Rock was a surprisingly good guest as well.

I thought the SLS review was all over the place; he kept jumping from one part of the car to another, didn't have any flow to it whatsoever. And the paintball sequence was thankfully short but still a little off. Still, good episode.

Anyone notice that they dimmed the studio lights? Looks like they hit pretty much everything on my to-do list...
the Halo jumper vs car was taken straight from top gear uk
Old 12-13-10 | 09:11 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

missed last night's episode...

anyone know where i can catch it online?

my tivo ended up recording a replay of leverage (great show btw, but i digress). :/
Old 12-14-10 | 01:03 AM
charles87k
Rookie

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...s-velociraptor
Old 12-14-10 | 04:44 AM
SVT2888
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
the Halo jumper vs car was taken straight from top gear uk
Looks like next weeks episode will be taking from the uk version too. The UK version did a thing about 70's UK cars while the US version will be doing a thing on our 70s cars. Heck, just like the UK version one of the cars will roll down the hill into the other ones.
Old 12-14-10 | 05:59 AM
LexFather

I liked that they let the Stig track the Raptor and give us a time. I also thought the SLS review was fair and its great he didn't hump it b/c Benz is a sponsor.

The last segment with the paintballs wasn't funny to me. The kid rock interview seemed painful and it was full of "Prius sucks" jokes.

Overall show is a meh but I am happy it is here. I tire of reruns on Speed "Battle of the Supercars" and I rarely watch Motorweek.
Old 12-14-10 | 09:10 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
missed last night's episode...

anyone know where i can catch it online?

my tivo ended up recording a replay of leverage (great show btw, but i digress). :/
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...04_2097301.htm
Old 12-15-10 | 05:45 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

After partial redemption in its second show, the third was stupefyingly bad. The "Possum Lodge" version of TG is proving an embarrassment to the franchise. Who put "Wayne's World" in charge of the script? It isn't just awkward, it's painful . . . Wayne and Garth are back on TV. I'm giving it a pass in favor of the much better and a whole lot more entertaining UK version.

Last edited by Lil4X; 12-15-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-15-10 | 05:51 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

I hate Top Gear US. sorry to say but its the truth I have tried to watch it but I just cant stand the commentary or the dead air between segments sometimes. TOP GEAR on BBC all day for me. I hope it gets cancelled very soon
Old 12-15-10 | 06:41 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I hate Top Gear US. sorry to say but its the truth I have tried to watch it but I just cant stand the commentary or the dead air between segments sometimes. TOP GEAR on BBC all day for me. I hope it gets cancelled very soon

I don't really understand this attitude.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. No one here is forcing you to.

But, do you honestly feel that if there's a show on television that you don't like...that NO ONE should be allowed to watch it?

I like Top Gear UK too. As of right now, yeah, it's a lot more entertaining than the US version.

But, as been stated in this thread several times...

- Top Gear UK is currently on break until some time next year. So, you CAN'T go watch new episodes right now.

- Top Gear UK was pretty darn awful their first season. Chemistry between hosts takes time. There was even a host change after the first season of Top Gear UK because the chemistry wasn't there (anyone remember Jason Dawe?).
Old 12-15-10 | 07:38 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
I don't really understand this attitude.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. No one here is forcing you to.

But, do you honestly feel that if there's a show on television that you don't like...that NO ONE should be allowed to watch it?

I like Top Gear UK too. As of right now, yeah, it's a lot more entertaining than the US version.

But, as been stated in this thread several times...

- Top Gear UK is currently on break until some time next year. So, you CAN'T go watch new episodes right now.

- Top Gear UK was pretty darn awful their first season. Chemistry between hosts takes time. There was even a host change after the first season of Top Gear UK because the chemistry wasn't there (anyone remember Jason Dawe?).

Never did I mention I was being forced to watch it, I watched it get my impressions on it. AND trust me I wont watch again, I am a car fan and I will watch anything that has to do with cars. But the "chemisrty" u speak of does sux and untill they get better hosts (Tanner is alright I like his show on speed channel better) if they even make it that fare, I will rather watch re runs of TGUK. I am sorry but if most ppl empresions of this show are the same (that it sux) I am sure the ratings reflect that and it will inevitably be canceled because the US tv market is much different than the TV market over in the UK. Ultimately TGUS is a knock off and will never be as good as the original so its just a matter of time
Old 12-19-10 | 10:33 PM
RXSF

great mention of the LS600h on Top Gear by Tony hawk

actually laughed for the first time since the series started, during the drinks test...

Quick Reply: Top Gear (US version): New History channel show premeires 11/21/10