Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Toyota Corolla Debuts at LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 11:46 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also liked the pre-mid-lifecycle refresh.
Old 11-16-10, 11:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the body kit.
Old 11-16-10, 12:09 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, We have got a ripped off version of Asian Corolla. I think they had got the refreshed model a year ago over there, but why do we just get it now?

Malaysian Corolla
Old 11-16-10, 12:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This is a refresh, right? Not re-engineered?
Yeah, just a new bumper, grill, headlights, taillights, chrome strip out back, new steering wheel, and probably a few technical upgrades. The Corolla was new for 2009, so we won't see an all new one until around 2013. Toyota will have to really step up on the specs at that time.

Personally, I still really like the Corolla (S only) even compared to new arrivals with better specs. It still sells like hotcakes because of legendary quality first and foremost. Such quality can still only be matched by the Civic even though others have made huge strides. Even though it isn't particularly sporty, it still rides very comfortably. And styling is unoffensive and widely accepted. And even with the outdated 4-speed, MPG numbers are still very good.

As far as dropping the XRS? Well, it's disappointing, but how many XRS's have you seen? I think I've seen maybe one since they came out 3 years ago. Sometimes you gotta make a business decision.
Old 11-16-10, 12:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
Wow, We have got a ripped off version of Asian Corolla. I think they had got the refreshed model a year ago over there, but why do we just get it now?
Asian markets always get their domestic cars long before we do. The 2009 Corolla that we got was already over a year old in Asia. We were being sold the severely outdated previous generation for that whole period while they had an all new model. Weird that Toyota would build two generations at the same time, but they do. Most intros average about a year earlier in Asian markets in fact. It sucks.

Yet, many American cars also start in foreign markets before our own domestic market gets them. It's crazy.
Old 11-16-10, 12:37 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

The front grille screams Mazda. However, I do like the new steering wheel on the S model, but was hoping for more updates. Its still going to sell well regardless.
Old 11-16-10, 12:50 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

35mpg doesn't cut it for this class anymore. They need to be much closer to the magic 40 number.
Old 11-16-10, 01:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMut
35mpg doesn't cut it for this class anymore. They need to be much closer to the magic 40 number.
That may be become true soon, however...

The Mazda 3 gets a dismal 24/33 mpg

The Nissan Sentra gets 26/34 mpg (with a CVT no less)

The Kia Forte gets 25/34 mpg

The Honda Civic gets 25/36 mpg

The Suzuki SX4 gets 25/32 mpg

The Hyundai Elantra gets 26/34 mpg

The new VW Jetta only gets 23/32 mpg

The Ford Focus gets 24/35 mpg

The Chevy Cruze (regular) gets 24/36 mpg
Old 11-16-10, 02:02 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So, lets summarize. No 6 speed (neither manual nor automatic), no more XRS (Better 2.5 engine just debuted in the tC, why not here?), Even in the absence of the XRS, the S continues to be seemingly purely cosmetic, still only 35mpg when Hyundai is on it's way with 40mpg (with more than 140hp btw). Toyota, what the HELL is wrong with you? When was it that Toyota started to do just barely enough to get by? These days it seems it's a repeated story of too little too late, and You can be they will feel it. It will be well deserved.

Valvematic has been out since 2007, yet it can't show up in the US till now, much less direct injection. what the hell Toyota?

**SMH**
Old 11-16-10, 02:12 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
That may be become true soon, however...

/snip\
Good info, thanks! I thought we were higher than that on most current compacts...
Old 11-16-10, 02:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So, lets summarize. No 6 speed (neither manual nor automatic), no more XRS (Better 2.5 engine just debuted in the tC, why not here?), Even in the absence of the XRS, the S continues to be seemingly purely cosmetic, still only 35mpg when Hyundai is on it's way with 40mpg (with more than 140hp btw). Toyota, what the HELL is wrong with you? When was it that Toyota started to do just barely enough to get by? These days it seems it's a repeated story of too little too late, and You can be they will feel it. It will be well deserved.

Valvematic has been out since 2007, yet it can't show up in the US till now, much less direct injection. what the hell Toyota?

**SMH**
Couldn't agree more. The Corolla has been very poorly handled - worse than any other Toyota product that I can think of in recent memory.
Old 11-16-10, 05:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Couldn't agree more. The Corolla has been very poorly handled - worse than any other Toyota product that I can think of in recent memory.
it is best seller in its class, meaning your priorities and average buyer priorities are simply not the same...

models being dropped is likely due to end of life model, and customers moving to cheaper versions.

new Corolla should be out in a year....
Old 11-16-10, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

**SMH**
I agree with at least some of what you are saying, but, even given the way it is, it's hard to argue with the Corolla's sales sucess. It, and the VW Beetle, are, arguably, the two top-selling cars in history.
Old 11-16-10, 05:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

From what I see styling looks better (and it needed help IMO).

And with automatic sales being predominate in the US market, the 4 speed is totally inadequate.
Old 11-16-10, 05:28 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

The 4AT would be a deal breaker for me, however if I were buying one of these, I would go with the MT. Nevertheless, this thing will sell simply because it says Corolla on the back of it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Toyota Corolla Debuts at LA Auto Show