Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gay Cars 2010 (Luxury mentioned; ZDX, C70, XJ, M37/56)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Post Top Gay Cars 2010 (Luxury mentioned; ZDX, C70, XJ, M37/56)

http://gaylife.about.com/od/entertai...aycars2010.htm

Here is the annual list...

Best Car for the Employed Gay

Acura ZDX wins best car for the gay professional.

2010 Acura ZDX
This year, the Best Car for the Gay Professional category has been replaced by the more general prize for the gay employed. I present the Acura ZDX for the gay that rode the Wall Street wave and came out intact (or stuffed his mattress with some extra bills) and can now ride in style.

Pass
Honda vehicles, although sturdy and dependable, have been predictable (translation: boring) when it comes to style the last few generations. Sedans, utes and trucks were ultra reliable but far from youth-inspiring or adult sexy. That is, until Accord Coupe changed the face of conservative brand. And then came the Accord Crosstour last year, badged as a "fresh take on the utility." Fresh styling indeed.

And now, with the Acura ZDX, the sexier, more refined sister of the Crosstour, the company has updated its portfolio with an impressive crossover in an environment where the vehicle, like the professional driving it, can't afford complacency.

But, can your sister-in-law's baby carrier brand really inspire performance and style? It would seem so. The ZDX boasts a 300-hp, 3.7-liter, VTEC® V-6 powertrain that demands a more aerodynamic fascia design that makes sense of Acura's ridiculous front end. Our kid with braces finally has a grill to be proud of.

Fail
Performance and refinement are what we can expect from an Acura, but the 16/23 mpg is a little sketchy, especially for a company built on engine technology. The extra Acura tech pumps an additional 500 lbs on the hops of the ZDX compared to its slimmer sister, giving it the same curb weight as cousin Honda Pilot. I'm left to wonder if Acura's fresh outlook is limited to exterior design.

Either way, like the gay employed, the ZDX got our attention. Now it's time to prove that it's flexible enough to grow in a ever-changing industry.
Best Green Queen

Audi's A3 TDI tops the list of green cars for gays.

2010 Audi A3 TDI
In December 2009, the Audi A3 TDI was named Green Car Journal's 2010 Green Car of the Year. A great honor, but that's not why the A3 leads our list of enviro-friendly rollers.

So, why the A3 TDI? Namely, Audi didn't use any special powers or trekkie contraptions to reduce their footprint. They merely refined what they already had: banging diesel technology. Us car geeks already know diesel emissions seem dirty from the outside, but trump gas clangers when it comes to environmental impact.

Today's gay also stays true to his identity and believes in his own impact—despite public perception—proving that beauty will shine even in clouds of smoke.

Pass
With 42 mpg, the Audi A3 TDI is ideal for the urban commuter looking to zig-zag in a compact lane-changer without the guilty of repeated acceleration. And at $29,950 base, the A3 TDI is a reasonable luxury entry.

Fail
Although entry-level, the A3 lacks the eye-appeal of its older sisters. A simple window tint package and A6 headlamps could do the trick.
Top Retro Flagship

The Chevy Camaro is a new take on an old American classic.

2010 Chevy Camaro
The Chevy Camaro takes concept styling to the showroom with a throwback aesthetic that soothes and excites the senses. The Camaro is the American Apparel of vehicle styling—a contemporary take on a tried classic that despite faults will always command attention.

Pass
The Camaro's rewards are endless. Exterior styling is sure to turn heads, but GM's standard 3.6L V6 engine (6.2L V8 in the SS) increases your drag potential with 304 HP. If you didn't feel butch before, you will after gripping the standard manual and blasting the Boston Acoustics sound package.

Fail
We appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the retro interior styling, but the Camaro lacks the most basic of contemporary technology, such a nav system. Even those of us that want to go back to the future sometimes need direction.
Best Gay Teen Machine

Ford revives the Fiesta and wins teen appeal.

2011 Ford Fiesta
This summer Ford will launch a redux of an old entry just in time for school breaks. The 2011 Fiesta is one of the most highly anticipated Fords in years. Ironically, the previous Fiesta was almost single handily responsible for Ford's tarnishing Found-On-The-Road-Dead jokeline. Oh, how times have changed.

Once unsure, like the gay teen, Ford has found its voice sans bailout money, becoming one of the most solid brands out there. The Fiesta is confident, secure, label-defying, and sure to liven up any expressway.

Pass
At 13K base, the Fiesta's entry price is almost as attractive as its presence and the projected 30/40 mpg leaves more cash for iPad apps. The Fiesta is versatile with both sedan and hatch options and has a cool array of colors like Lime Squeeze Metallic and Yellow Blaze Metallic. It's here, it's queer. So what!

Fail
Ford is still hesitant to give up its plasticy base options for fewer, more sophisticated offerings. Exciting aesthetic should be standard, not optional. Cars as exciting as the Fiesta need only two options: cool and cooler, not watered-down packages for the budget and fleet conscious.
Hipster Hyperdrive

You guesses it. The Subaru Outback wins best car for the gay hipster.

2010 Subaru Outback
What's carrying Subaru's dirty backpack? A versatile sports sedan confident enough to hit the trail then carry on to dinner. Rugged-refined is what the small brand has becomes as it realizes that a strong eco-heritage and solid engineering attracts more than than plaid-wearing loyals. Gay hipsters rejoice. Like you, the Outback can broaden its range and maintain a true sense of originality.

Pass
The Outback has a rugged exterior that looks equally as great sparking or filthy. Subaru's finally got their due as Motor Trend's Spot/Utility of the Year and tops Honda and Nissan with highest resale value in the industry.

Fail
Subaru's recent attention is a big "I told you so" from long time fans, but I fear success will bring complacency. Remember the rise then flatline of under dog brands Nissan and Volkswagen? A more optimistic perspective sees a stable future for Subaru as long as they maintain their consistency and identity.
Top Topless Go-Go

Volvo's C70 is the most versatile and stylish Volvo in decades.

2011 Volvo C70
Volvo brands the next generation C70 as an all-in-one versatile cruiser. The C70 is an experienced go-go that knows when to take it off and when to leave it on. Feel like a cool breeze on your, uh, forehead? Retract the hard top and in 30 seconds you're exposed to the elements. Looking to be more discreet? The C70 puts its top back on for striking coupe appeal.

And no go-go is complete without club sound. Wind noise has met its match with the C70's 12 speaker system powered by a 900-watt digital amp.

Pass
Volvo's are known for safety innovation that has historically trumped their focus on styling. But while the C70 continues with expected Volvo safety technology, exterior design no longer blends with the rush hour crowd.

Fail
At just under 40 grand, the price is what you can expect from a Volvo, but still on the high end. Are there no recession-proof convertibles out there that don't look like 80's pop stars? But, despite its tag, the C70 is well worth the drop.
Best Comeback Canon

A true comeback. Jaguar brings spirit back to the brand with the XJ.

2011 Jaguar XJ
Jag enthusiasts cheered when Tata Motors of India rescued the ailing cat from Ford choke hold. Why such excitement? Well, the Tata family is full of Jaguar enthusiasts and have a long history of owning Jaguar vehicles. So, expect each new Jag to feel like a Jag.

The Tata story rings of the rich kid that buys the toy factory, but we can all benefit from this glut. Since the buy, Jaguar has been refocused as a brand new fans can salivate over and long time loyals can adore.

The XJ sprints with 385 hp, pumped by a third generation direct injection 5.0L AJ-V8 naturally aspired engine locked to a six-speed automatic trans. This baby purrs!

Pass
The XJ comes with customized features, such as five special order metallic colors, an option of Walnut, Elm, or Carbon Fiber interior veneers and a media center that can handle almost any plug-in device. The glove box and interior lights can also be activated by light touch as opposed to feeling for clumsy handles.

Fail
The XJ is a staple of Jaguar luxury, a taste not suited for every driver. This makes the XJ more of a collector's machine than a commuter's wonder. But, like a queen that once ruled the scene, with each comeback performance the Jag makes her presence known, leaving behind little but gawks of awe and envy.
Top Gadget God

The Infinity M is top pick for the gay man that loves gadgets.

2010 Infinity M
For the gay man that wants it all, the 2011 Infinity M is overflowing with tech treats. Besides being, well, an Infinity, the new M pampers driver and passengers with the industry's first 360 view cam, lane departure prevention to keep you on a gayly forward path, blind spot prevention, distance monitor, lights that automatically illuminate as you approach and old-school favorite 4-wheel turn assist that reduces the radius of right turns.

Pass
Few people grow up wanting to drive an Infinity, but once they do most owners regret not turning the key sooner. Infinity has an indisputable reputation for clean, classic sport design, impressive power and sleek gadgetry. And while the flagship M's styling isn't the most striking, it's consistently been a standard-setting rocket of driving experience. The M delivers well beyond what's expected, especially for the gay man that wants it all.

Fail
For all of its performance and technology, the M is shy in aesthetic, often blending into a sea of traffic. The 2011 refresh is optimistic with a lower and wider stance, but overall design still screams grandpa's retirement ride. All-in-all the M is a winner hands down. Besides, you'll be too busy playing with an infinite amount of gadgets to notice the pedestrian shade anyway.

Old 11-17-10, 12:00 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only agree with the A3, the rest I have yet to see one of "us" drive. Except for the Subaru on the female side of the rainbow. The ZDX? HELL NO, gay men tend to have more taste than that.

Any BMW, yes. Especially 3, Z4, and X. Oh, and Mini!
I know quite a few with Lexus, including GS & RX.
Mustangs seem to be quite popular as well.
Old 11-17-10, 12:08 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You better watch your mouth talking about mustangs that way
Old 11-17-10, 02:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I think it's stupid and rather silly to classify certain cars as "gay/girl cars". I really do. People buy what suits their needs and what they like regardless of their sexual orientation. How does their sexual orientation even influence the type of car they're going to purchase?

I have a friend back home who is openly gay and he drives a C5 Corvette ZO6. There's nothing more to say about this.

At the same time, most of my heterosexual buddies (I'm assuming most of them are. It's not like I ask them for their sexual orientation...) drive pretty average or even boring cars, despite being financially well-off. True, this isn't going to shed any light on the whole issue here, but to me that pretty much sums up how silly this article is.
Old 11-17-10, 06:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

List seems pretty consistent with what I see around Midtown
Old 11-17-10, 07:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I lack the expertise to select top gay cars, maybe they do have unique taste in cars.

But I'm sure some posters can shed light on this for us.
Old 11-17-10, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The author, Ramon Johnson, generously uses the term Queen to describe these cars.

His preferences may not complement what most people find attractive nor functional.
Old 11-17-10, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree (as I've stated in previous threads) that much of the gay automotive stereotyping is nonsense...but not necessarily all of it. Most of the VW salespeople I know say that, particularly with Beetles/Jettas and convertibles, they sell mostly to women or gay men. Saab salespeople have remarked to me that they sell a high percentage to Lesbians.

Of course, just exactly how some of this is determined is unclear ......not every auto-buyer reveals his or her sexual-orientation, or runs up a flag at the dealership saying "Hey, I'm Gay", or a Lesbian. Still, you can (sometimes) spot Gays and Lesbians by the way they dress.....Lesbians, in particular, often tend to have very short hair and wear male-type buisness suits. But that only works for a certain percentage of them...you certainly can't call it a stereotype.

Still, there do seem to be at least some signs. At my office, I worked with several gay men, for years (one was a car-enthusiast like me, and we often talked cars). He loved Jettas, and had owned two diesel TDIs that got superb mileage....the Jetta, of course, being one of the gay stereotypes. He had also owned an Audi TT...another car (though not in this article) often linked with gay men.
Old 11-17-10, 09:27 AM
svagusta
Pole Position

I thought homosexuals drove "IT"...you know, the vehicle Mr./Mrs. Garrison invented on Southpark.
Old 11-18-10, 06:35 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Gay cars what the hell What does having sex with another man have to do with the car you drive. A car is a car.
Old 11-18-10, 08:32 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

This list is pretty lame. I think the entire approach of calling cars more suited for gays is really counter to the cause of equality. Didn't GLAAD get all worked up for someone using the word "gay" to describe something negatively?

Seriously, let's just write about cars.
Old 11-18-10, 10:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Confused about the "drag potential" of the V6 Camaro.

I'm really concerned that anyone actually "cheered" the sale of Jaguar to Indian truck manufacturer Tata. Any company that can simultaneously offer rolling garbage dumps that pass for heavy trucks and silliness like air-powered cars, should be French, not Indian.
Old 11-18-10, 11:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I thought this was the top gay car
Attached Thumbnails Top Gay Cars 2010 (Luxury mentioned; ZDX, C70, XJ, M37/56)-ambig_gay_mobile.jpg  
Old 11-18-10, 03:10 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
I only agree with the A3, the rest I have yet to see one of "us" drive. Except for the Subaru on the female side of the rainbow. The ZDX? HELL NO, gay men tend to have more taste than that.
Acura wishes the ZDX was the top gay car. Two income + no kids = buying power.
Old 11-18-10, 05:05 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Here in Washington, I've noticed that a lot of women drive the A3. I wonder if they're lesbians?

Quick Reply: Top Gay Cars 2010 (Luxury mentioned; ZDX, C70, XJ, M37/56)