Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru Impreza Concept (A W E S O M E)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 04:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

They sometimes do on Imprezas. I'm sure you remember the production Impreza RS and GT models of the 1990s with the gaudy yellow-gold and bright-blue alloy wheels. They looked like circus-wagons rolling down the road.
Although they were not "huge wheels" as I mentioned above, the gold wheels were memorable and just plain ugly. And those hilarious wings took factory rice to a new level.
Old 04-09-11, 06:25 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sometimes do on Imprezas. I'm sure you remember the production Impreza RS and GT models of the 1990s with the gaudy yellow-gold and bright-blue alloy wheels. They looked like circus-wagons rolling down the road.
My "circus wagon":

Old 04-09-11, 07:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Many people don't buy Subarus for their looks, but for what's under the skin, particularly the well-designed AWD systems.
Amen. I haven't put very much money into my Subaru. It's all been routine maintence, save for a speedo replacement. 12 years old, 128k miles and still ticking.

....and I did buy my red Subaru for the looks.

Old 04-09-11, 08:57 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

i like the tailights! pretty dope!
Old 04-09-11, 10:29 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Those later 90's GT Limited's still look good, ESPECIALLY in red!

/threadhijack
Old 04-10-11, 07:15 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Thank you! It took me nine months to find one in a stick. That was six years ago now. I guess I will hang on to it a little longer, given the ugliness of the new Subaru lineup.
Old 04-10-11, 10:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car still looks modern for a car 10+ years old, kind of an A4 look.
Old 04-10-11, 10:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Thank you! It took me nine months to find one in a stick. That was six years ago now. I guess I will hang on to it a little longer, given the ugliness of the new Subaru lineup.
it has classic good looks, it will always look good... big props from me :-).
Old 04-10-11, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
My "circus wagon":

These are the gold circus-wagon" wheels I was referring to, not yours.

BTW, just a heads-up: On modern cars with disc-brakes, I don't recommend solid or semi-solid wheels like the ones you have pictured there, without large holes or spokes for enough air to get through and cool the brakes. That's why you haven't seen stock wheels like that on factory-cars for decades. You can run those wheels if you want, but you're taking a chance on warped brake rotors, glazed brake-pads, and overly-hot brake-fluid temperatures.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 06:12 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amen. I haven't put very much money into my Subaru. It's all been routine maintence, save for a speedo replacement. 12 years old, 128k miles and still ticking.

....and I did buy my red Subaru for the looks.
Thats a beauty you got! I love those too
Old 04-10-11, 07:11 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

BTW, just a heads-up: On modern cars with disc-brakes, I don't recommend solid or semi-solid wheels like the ones you have pictured there, without large holes or spokes for enough air to get through and cool the brakes. That's why you haven't seen stock wheels like that on factory-cars for decades. You can run those wheels if you want, but you're taking a chance on warped brake rotors, glazed brake-pads, and overly-hot brake-fluid temperatures.
They are same 16" steel wheels Subaru has used for almost two decades now, and are even on the 2012 model:

Besides, my car is light (2600lbs) has over-sized, upgraded pads/rotors/calipers/brakelines/fluid/mastercylinder, and the backing plates are off as well.

Stock Outback/Foresters have MANY more brake problems than I ever will with my car no matter what I do with it (I worked in a Subaru service/parts department for a few years). Those cars have the same sized rotors/calipers as I have on my car, but weigh 500-800lbs more.

I'm not really too concerned about wheel looks either, I consider them wear and tire items as its easier to not have to worry about expensive wheels and have something semi-nice IMO. I did have the "gold" wheels on my car when I bought it that you so despise

Those '98 Gold 16" wheels are still quite desirable, and worth quite a bit of money if they are in good condition.

I hated the color combination (white on gold is good, so is black on gold, and IMO blue on gold works cause thats Subaru's traditional racing colors) and went through two other sets of wheels before my current setup:

Last edited by Kostamojen; 04-10-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 08:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

At least bland = a major jump in fuel economy.

CHERRY HILL, N.J., April 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America today announced the world debut of the all-new Subaru Impreza 4-door and 5-door models at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The new 2012 Impreza will deliver 36 MPG, the highest fuel economy* of any all-wheel drive car on sale in the U.S. The new design will provide a roomier interior and improved levels of comfort and refinement.
Old 04-10-11, 08:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Those '98 Gold 16" wheels are still quite desirable, and worth quite a bit of money if they are in good condition.
Yah, yah. I'd take a black '07 Impreza with gold wheels and some hot pink coil covers and decals.
Old 04-10-11, 09:45 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice..love the Subie
Old 04-10-11, 09:50 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

At least bland = a major jump in fuel economy.
36mpg hwy with a AWD non-hybrid car is friggin fantastic. I'm stilling holding out hopes that the Hatchback might actually look good...

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza Concept (A W E S O M E)