Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hourglass traffic light concept is street racing's best friend

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 12:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hourglass traffic light concept is street racing's best friend

Hourglass traffic light concept is street racing's best friend

Designer Thanva Tivawong has come up with a solution for all you impatient drivers out there. What if you knew exactly when a stoplight was going to change from green to yellow, or more importantly, from red to green? In theory, traffic would be expedited and drivers would be less likely to try to beat yellow lights in the rush to make good time. That's exactly the logic behind the hourglass stoplight concept you see above. As time soldiers on, the pixels in the light drain from top to bottom. When time's up, the light changes color and the process starts all over again.

There are a couple of problems with this notion. First, colorblind drivers are left completely in the cold. More importantly, we're also concerned about the idea of basically turning every intersection into a drag strip, complete with fully-functional Christmas trees. It'd be great for the street racing scene, sure, but we don't want to give the granny in the lane next to us an excuse to lay down her best ETA when the light goes green.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/20/h...s-best-friend/
Old 11-21-10, 01:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

this is an interesting concept. i thought the intersections with the number countdown for pedestrians crossing the street made for a good enough indication for when a light was set to go from green to yellow to red.
Old 11-21-10, 01:28 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
this is an interesting concept. i thought the intersections with the number countdown for pedestrians crossing the street made for a good enough indication for when a light was set to go from green to yellow to red.
That's how I've always predicted green -> yellow lights as well. That and typically (in Michigan at least) when the flashing red hand goes from blinking to solid, you have about 2 seconds for the traffic light to turn yellow.
Old 11-21-10, 01:36 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Same here, but in my city, as I'm sure in all other cities too, every intersection is different. Some will turn yellow as soon as the pedestrian signal turns to a flashing hand, others will flash for another minute until the light turns yellow, etc. It all depends on the size of the intersection and how busy it is. If they were all consistent, it would be even easier for drivers to predict the lights.
Old 11-21-10, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

More importantly, we're also concerned about the idea of basically turning every intersection into a drag strip, complete with fully-functional Christmas trees. It'd be great for the street racing scene, sure, but we don't want to give the granny in the lane next to us an excuse to lay down her best ETA when the light goes green.
Today, though, in many larger urban areas, there are so many traffic lights that just the relatively short distances between them discourages speeding and drag-racing. Even if it were legal (which it isn't), there's little point in driving NHRA-style if you have to hit the brakes again almost as soon as you start to accelerate. That is simply a result of our population growth and increasing congestion on the roads.
Old 11-21-10, 04:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

won't help.

when people see that yellow light with "1" left on the ticker, they will still gun it to beat the red.

it probably gives them more cajones knowing how many seconds are left on the yellow, so they can turbo boost through the intersection.
Old 11-21-10, 05:01 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I also use pedestrian timers to know when the light changes, however, there are those few outliers out there that remain green when the seconds are up!
Old 11-21-10, 05:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

amazing what they do with LED's
Old 11-21-10, 05:59 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in Shanghai this past summer, I saw the stoplights with timers on them on the red, yellow, and green and I wonder how come in the US of A, we don't have this.
Old 11-21-10, 06:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daelo74
When I was in Shanghai this past summer, I saw the stoplights with timers on them on the red, yellow, and green and I wonder how come in the US of A, we don't have this.
Probably because many people in the US can't count, let alone drive.
Old 11-21-10, 08:58 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

China has had LED timers for ages. Not that it makes traffic there terribly orderly...
Old 11-22-10, 12:46 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from green to yellow, just use the pedestrian light.

for red to green, just use the perpendicular traffic light.
Old 11-22-10, 12:58 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we have is the best, the old fashioned way but before the green turns yellow, the green keeps blinking for around 3-5 seconds.
Old 11-22-10, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
China has had LED timers for ages. Not that it makes traffic there terribly orderly...
True. The accident/injury/death rate on Chinese roads is many times that of the U.S.

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Probably because many people in the US can't count, let alone drive.
Red-light-timers or not, taking jabs at American motorists won't make the deplorable accident-statistics in China any better than they already are.
Old 11-22-10, 09:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I used to practice at the stop lights in Mexico City for when I'd go to the track.

Quick Reply: Hourglass traffic light concept is street racing's best friend