Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Carry-Forwards Worth $45b Off Future Tax Bills

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10 | 07:29 AM
LexFather

Post GM Carry-Forwards Worth $45b Off Future Tax Bills

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ure-tax-bills/

Perhaps one of the least-covered elements of the auto industry restructuring has been the numerous tax advantages GM has earned as a government-owned automaker. Unlike most bankruptcies, GM was allowed to hold onto some $16b of net operating loss credits (tax-loss carry-forwards), which can be used to offset future tax bills. Typically, companies that restructure in bankruptcy lose existing carry-forwards as the price of wiping out debt, but because the government is invested in GM, it decided to allow old tax losses to flow into the new company even as debt was left behind. In the latest update on this story, The Wall Street Journal notes that some $18.9b of GM’s carry-forwards were from the old company, and that the firm has a whopping $45.4b in future tax savings. And because carry-forwards can be banked up to 20 years before they are spent, GM will have to make massive profits before it starts actually paying taxes to the federal government. The government’s position:

the profit-shielding tax credit makes the bailed-out companies more attractive to investors, and that the value of the benefit is greater than the lost tax payments, especially since the tax payments would not exist if the companies fail

Which is all well and good, but the reality is also that this practically doubles the taxpayers’ cost of bailing out GM. As a policy this makes sense for the reasons given (assuming the bailout was a foregone conclusion), but it would be nice if this “hidden charge” were at least noted on the bill.
Old 11-22-10 | 07:33 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

yeah this was a debate a local radio station here last week, in the end they will have MANY years of running a multi-billion dollar org and pay pretty much no tax
Old 11-22-10 | 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

just more of the robbery involved in the gm scam, and why i will NEVER own a gm vehicle.
Old 11-22-10 | 09:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just more of the robbery involved in the gm scam, and why i will NEVER own a gm vehicle.
Agreed.

I have had a few friends who purchase only American vehicles end up scratching GM vehicles off their list as a result of this intervention.

Wha still makes me sick is the fact that there are workers in GM factories earning more than I do in a year now.
Old 11-22-10 | 10:12 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I thought the Liberals wanted the Rich to pay their "fair share".

Multi-billion-dollar corporations don't count as "Rich"?

Explain, please.
Old 11-22-10 | 12:26 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Don't forget about Google which basically paid no taxes this year either only 2.4% total!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...loopholes.html