Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Turbos and Hybrids.....
All for it!
70.73%
Meh, prefer N/A....not a hybrid person
4.88%
Turbos Yes, Hybrids no
19.51%
Hybrids Yes, turbos no
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota eyes turbos, direct injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 04:45 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Toyota eyes turbos, direct injection

As rumored here...here come the turbos

Toyota eyes turbos, direct injection

By HANS GREIMEL, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS on 11/22/2010

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to introduce 11 new or redesigned hybrid vehicles by 2012, but the carmaker is hardly neglecting the humble internal combustion engine.
Takeshi Uchiyamada, executive vice president in charge of r&d, also wants to increase the fleet's fuel efficiency by putting turbochargers and direct fuel injection in smaller vehicles. "In the next five years, the general trend is downsizing of engines and the use of turbochargers," Uchiyamada said in an interview. "Another development will be direct fuel injection."

Turbos and direct fuel injection will be added throughout Toyota's lineup--even in four-cylinder engines and models such as the Corolla and Camry, he said.

"Eventually, we will see significant numbers of vehicles carrying engines with turbochargers," said Uchiyamada, 64, who was chief engineer of the first-generation Prius.

Other changes will include expanded use of idle-stop technology, which saves fuel by turning off the engine when the car comes to a standstill, and advances in variable valve systems.

Toyota will need the new technologies to stay ahead of sharper competition from rivals such as South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co., which is trying to become a green car leader.

Of the 11 upcoming hybrids, four will be model changes of existing hybrids. The other seven will be new models, either stand-alone hybrids or hybrid versions of vehicles that previously didn't have a gasoline-electric option, Uchiyamada said.

He expects Toyota's annual hybrid sales to hit 1 million units by 2015. In 2009, Toyota sold approximately 530,000 hybrids worldwide.
But in the United States, he predicted, hybrids will still only account for between 10 percent and 20 percent of Toyota's sales by 2020.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz163tnmKhM

Old 11-22-10, 06:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this means the electric-assist turbos are finally coming to production . If these are regular turbos I'm not sure I like that decision. I'm ALL for electric-assist turbos though. Direct injection is overdue, and hopefully they can reduce the carbon build-up that occurs with those engines.

Finally, it would be nice to see Valvematic in North American models.

In any case, this shows Toyota's next-gen models are going to be MUCH more competitive. The sleeping giant has awakened .
Old 11-22-10, 07:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

How about the downsizing of engines and still not the use of turbos?

Of course, I wouldn't say no to Toyota creating another generation of cult turbo aftermarket tuners.
Old 11-22-10, 07:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How about not concentrating on the damn engines, they have plenty of engines, from economy to performance, and in all flavors.

How about just making some exciting cars instead of good old vanilla models?
Old 11-22-10, 07:16 PM
svagusta
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
How about not concentrating on the damn engines, they have plenty of engines, from economy to performance, and in all flavors.

Couldn't agree more. I work at a Toyota dealership and am in and out of them every day. While I think the Venza and new Sienna have made some progress in the edgy/exciting category, people like me (and most of us) are bored to tears by a Camry or Corolla.

Make something exciting and don't brand it as a Scion, Toyota!!
Old 11-22-10, 08:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I think having better performing engines will then allow them to create the exciting products to put them in.
Old 11-22-10, 08:51 PM
CTB727
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och

+ 1

I couldn't agree more. The closest thing to sporty Toyota has would be a Tacoma X-Runner. It's time they bring excitement back.
Old 11-22-10, 09:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well this is fun news!! As always, hope it happens but we'll see. How about doing something with the ho-hum suspension tuning too! And pleeeaseee bring the Mark-X G-sport concept to our shores haha!!

Old 11-22-10, 09:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting...not sure how I feel about FI for reasons of reliability and longevity, but I guess we will see how this goes.
Old 11-22-10, 11:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Direct injection is overdue, and hopefully they can reduce the carbon build-up that occurs with those engines.
Carbon-buildup shouldn't be a problem if you use a good-quality fuel with detergents (like Shell or Chevron), and maybe occasionally dump a can of BG-44K fuel-system cleaner into the tank. Driving the car long enough to get the engine good and hot also helps, especially in the winter. Engine/fuel-system deposits often happen when car owners, trying to save a couple of cents at the gas pump, end up being penny-wise but pound-foolish by using cheap, cut-rate gas with no (or poor-quality) detergents. So then they just have to spend the money right back that they saved, by getting a de-carbon job.
Old 11-23-10, 05:10 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'm not surprised that we haven't seen turbos from Toyota. I am willing to be that we will see DI, given that Chevy and Hyundai have begun to offer this standard. I'd like to see a smaller V6 desgined for Highlander hybrid, ES hybrid, etc. application.
Old 11-23-10, 06:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

After reading the article again, there is definitely an indication we could finally see Valvematic (in North America).

The article mentions that there will be "advances in variable valve systems". That can only mean either Valvematic or Dual VVT-iE. In either case, it's a good thing.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Carbon-buildup shouldn't be a problem if you use a good-quality fuel with detergents (like Shell or Chevron), and maybe occasionally dump a can of BG-44K fuel-system cleaner into the tank. Driving the car long enough to get the engine good and hot also helps, especially in the winter. Engine/fuel-system deposits often happen when car owners, trying to save a couple of cents at the gas pump, end up being penny-wise but pound-foolish by using cheap, cut-rate gas with no (or poor-quality) detergents. So then they just have to spend the money right back that they saved, by getting a de-carbon job.
You are correct, but the problem is not all owners are/will be that careful.

Having a direct injection engine that, by design, minimizes carbon build-up in the first place I think would be a very good achievement. Hopefully Toyota has this in mind with their upcoming direct injection and turbo engines.
Old 11-23-10, 08:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Having experienced a Lexus with direct injection for many miles, I highly recommend it. No carbon buildup problems, I run exclusively Chevron premium.

Glad to see Toyota plans to apply advanced technology to more models.