Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Post Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?

Damn, we have heard all the Unicorn news in regards to this brand and this car but really, an Accord based 400hp hybrid with AWD NSX?

It sounds like all the unicorns told a reporter a story

Thank goodness Lexus had the ***** to bring the LFA to market and not make a trillion excuses.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/r...-just-resting/

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ife/index.html

Check Dealer Pricing On a New Honda!
Honda NSX Gets New Lease on Life

Flagship Coupe Reportedly Back On, But in a Different Form
November 22, 2010
/ By Peter Lyon
Illustrator: Holiday Auto Magazine

|

The NSX lives, at least in a different form. According to one source, Honda never gave up its plans for an NSX successor. Even though the V-10-powered post-NSX concept came along at the wrong time -- during the economic meltdown -- and had to be cancelled, Honda engineers didn't completely shelve the project.
They simply applied a more market-friendly (and eco-friendly) sports-car approach to the company's flagship two-door, giving it the latest hybrid gizmology. Completely different than Toyota's THS-II hybrid system, the technology slated to power Honda's new sports coupe "can be driven with either a clutch and an engine only, the engine and motor only, or the motor only," says our source. It will also offer a manual transmission option.

It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder or a 3.5-liter V-6, with the latter considered the sure favorite. Why do we think so? Once again our spies in Japan have uncovered a patent application that specifies a "V6 powertrain developing upwards of 400 horsepower." That makes sense, especially when you consider what one company staffer told us about Honda's desire to return to making sports cars. "Honda does not see the CR-Z as a sports car. It's a sporty coupe and a great first try in the hybrid-sports direction. To be called a sports car, a car needs to have the potential of an NSX or an S2000. That's what we need to aim for."
And as expected, the coupe will employ a version of the automaker's proven SH-AWD system, but Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds two years ago.

Using the front-wheel-drive Accord platform as a base for this car will cut R&D costs dramatically. Engineers will swap the front and rear around to create a rear midship AWD package. If the coupe gets the green light for production, expect to see it in showrooms as early as 2014. Still unclear is if the car will continue to be badged as an Acura here in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz1644X15Gf

Old 11-22-10, 05:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

????????

I thought they wanted to get rid of all the 'fun' and focus only on being 'green'??

I'm all for platform sharing, but those who buy supercars and exotics want something more special than a chassis that was derived from the parent's bread and butter car.

I'll be happy if Honda releases this car, but please don't call it an NSX.
Old 11-22-10, 05:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More unicorn news indeed.

An NSX based on the Accord? What a COMPLETE and utter DISGRACE to the NSX heritage and NSX fans.

Soichiro Honda must be rolling in his grave, and Shigeru Uehara would do a double face palm when hearing this.
Old 11-22-10, 05:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will it have a 5-speed automatic?
Old 11-22-10, 06:04 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always thought how hard or easy it would be to flip and stretch FWD platform to make it MR RWD. It certainly could save money and how come nobody haven't done it yet?
Old 11-22-10, 06:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Why does this sound like a Toyota Sporty Hybrid concept (400hp awd mid engined hybrid)?

I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't mind seeing the HSV turn up first though. C'mon Honda, WTF?

Originally Posted by Vladi
I always thought how hard or easy it would be to flip and stretch FWD platform to make it MR RWD. It certainly could save money and how come nobody haven't done it yet?
+1. I've been asking myself this question since high school.
Old 11-22-10, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
????????

I thought they wanted to get rid of all the 'fun' and focus only on being 'green'??

I'm all for platform sharing, but those who buy supercars and exotics want something more special than a chassis that was derived from the parent's bread and butter car.

I'll be happy if Honda releases this car, but please don't call it an NSX.

Old 11-22-10, 06:18 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The NSX is dead. Long live the NSXcuse!
Old 11-22-10, 06:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever.
Attached Thumbnails Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?-unicorn-puzzle.jpg  
Old 11-22-10, 06:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thing does look great, but dont call it NSX.
Old 11-22-10, 07:11 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This thing does look great, but dont call it NSX.
I agree. I don't mind them bringing back the S2000 name, but if its not a mid engine Formula One inspired sports car don't call it the NSX.
Old 11-22-10, 07:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the meantime, has nobody noticed the elephant in the room?

An insanely good looking rendering from Honda! I think I just saw a flying pig.
Old 11-22-10, 07:36 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
The problem is that the Accord is front-engined, not front-mid. So flipping it around would create a rear-engined car like a Porsche, not a rear-mid car like the NSX.

This alone is sufficient to make this report pixie dust, not that we didn't know that was the case already. Hopefully it didn't actually come out of the mouth of a Honda exec. What a way this would be to destroy the legacy of the NSX.
Old 11-22-10, 08:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that class of car, ***-backwards approach.
Old 11-22-10, 09:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
The NSX is dead. Long live the NSXcuse!
The NSXcuse, I like that, very fitting description for all these rumors.

Originally Posted by Och
In the meantime, has nobody noticed the elephant in the room?

An insanely good looking rendering from Honda! I think I just saw a flying pig.
I don't think that's a Honda rendering. I think that is a Motor Trend rendering. No way would a Honda rendering look that good. Honda has completely lost the ability to come up with good designs.

Quick Reply: Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?