Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend responds to Rush Limbaugh over Volt COTY choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
probably 2011 hyundai sonata. looks good, best value, and selling like crazy.
The new Sonata is a nice sedan, and gives good value (though I'm not wild about the styling), but it doesn't really, IMO, meet MT's COTY criteria.....a signifcant advance in the field of automotive design. It is simply a nice new conventional mid-size sedan that competes with a lot of other nice conventional mid-size sedans. The Volt, on the other hand, is, right now (until the Extended-Range Prius comes out), a one-of-its-kind vehicle.
Old 11-23-10, 02:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Rush when it comes to politics and such but when it comes to cars, he should probably refrain from commenting. Although he has every right to do so of course.

Those who listen to Rush will know that much of his personal criticism with the Volt is because he personally doesn't like small, low powered cars. He makes fun of all small low powered cars. He's a big SUV kind of guy. To each his own.

He is wrong on a few details about the Volt as well as how MT chooses its COTY. Again, cars aren't his area of expertise. First, it was the common misconception that it was range limited. Many other people, on a public platform, made the same false claim. And of course, range limitations really tick off Rush as it conflicts with America's lifestyles. It's not so much that government is intervening, although that's part of it. Rush still drives GM vehicles.

Now, with it being named COTY. Almost all COTY's are announced before the car goes on sale, or just shortly after. The COTY is announced each November. New models generally come out in the fall right before that time. It just has to be on sale before December 31st. Remember, this award is for brand new cars only (I think Rush thinks the award goes to the best overall car). And the award signifies the greatest and most significant advancement or class changing car.

By definition, no car in the history of COTY awards, deserve the award more than the Volt. It is the biggest advancement in automotive technology perhaps ever along with the Prius and Leaf. But it does something neither the Prius or Leaf does.
Old 11-23-10, 04:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i still don't get how a car that isn't even available gets COTY.

and a car that will likely cost 50% more than a prius should be a breakthrough, and from a company that with govt help stole billions from taxpayers to protect over-compensated union workers.
Agreed! If the car isn't even available, it shouldn't even be in the running. Secondly, the selling price should make it one of the worst values in transportation on the market.

Originally Posted by Och
Not a fan of Rush by any means, but Motor Trend's COTY awards have a history of being given to them most miserable, dreadful junk.
MT, R&T, even PS and PM have written lavish praise for new automotive technologies that have been a complete bust. Anyone recall the Chrysler "Lean Burn" technology, the Cadillac V8-6-4, or the GM automotive diesel? They cost the companies fortunes in warranty work, but they collected PLENTY of awards. Speaking as a former product-development tech, taking your "bleeding edge" product to market too soon can quickly produce bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The auto press often gets chances to see, evaluate, and test-drive new vehicles before the general-public does. That is more-or-less routine...it has happened many times.
It has been proven time and again that MT delivers the COTY award to the manufacturer purchasing the most pages of ad space in the previous year without regard to any particularly breakthrough engineering or quality of manufacture. MT isn't alone in this, count up the column inches of ad copy (including most of the reviews that are pure promotion) in most of the auto mags. At the end of the year they often give their awards or Top Ten selections to the companies that have supported them. Quid pro quo.

sure, but i still don't think a car that isn't available should win an award.
Well, we have a person in the White House who was handed the Nobel Peace Prize before he even took office, let alone made an appearance on the international scene. Why not give COTY to a car that has yet to appear in the showrooms? It makes perfectly good sense.
Old 11-24-10, 11:21 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gotta Love Motor Trend.. sometimes...

I know we're all lexus enthusiast but they make a valid point...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/featu...-Limbaugh-2602
Old 11-24-10, 11:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't get that article, car of the year, but none sold? technologically advanced? What's so advanced? battery chargers?
Old 11-24-10, 11:49 AM
jason60050
Driver

I still don't understand how they could make it Car of the Year without any out on the road yet?
Old 11-24-10, 11:52 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Repost

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ty-choice.html
Old 11-24-10, 11:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jason60050
I still don't understand how they could make it Car of the Year without any out on the road yet?
I don't know how many times it has to be explained but a car doesn't have to be on sale at the time that COTY is awarded each November. It just has to be promised for release before December 31st.

And since the award can only go to brand new releases, the award always goes to cars that are barely out yet. In some cases, cars are released early, but it's usually in the fall coinciding with the award. As soon as a car is out for a year, it is no longer even eligible.

It's a 2011 model!!! This is a 2011 award. Geez.
Old 11-24-10, 12:06 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I don't know how many times it has to be explained but a car doesn't have to be on sale at the time that COTY is awarded each November. It just has to be promised for release before December 31st.

And since the award can only go to brand new releases, the award always goes to cars that are barely out yet. In some cases, cars are released early, but it's usually in the fall coinciding with the award. As soon as a car is out for a year, it is no longer even eligible.

It's a 2011 model!!! This is a 2011 award. Geez.
Yep... but honestly I was just thinking it was a more valid point about rush limbaugh.
Old 11-24-10, 12:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yep repost.
Old 11-24-10, 02:38 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

i still don't get how a car that isn't even available gets COTY.

and a car that will likely cost 50% more than a prius should be a breakthrough, and from a company that with govt help stole billions from taxpayers to protect over-compensated union workers.
I agree with you completely. How can a car that isn't out yet win COTY?

I got a chance to see the Volt at the Los Angeles auto show and I was underwhelmed and unimpressed. When I opened and shut the door it seemed flimsy and cheap. I sat inside and all the plastic was just that...plastic! It also seemed very small inside the cabin.

Don't get me started on the price. I wouldn't pay $40,000 for the Volt. I can get the Prius or the CT 200h for a way lesser price and get a great quality vehicle that is established. The Volt is very new and we don't know how long the vehicle will last and what's it long time dependability and reliability stats.

Last edited by Trexus; 11-24-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 04:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with what gengar said. Rush often says silly things, but MT's response in this case is just as silly.

MT call themselves the "World's Automotive Authority". Are they serious? Who are they to make this claim? That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard from MT.
Old 11-24-10, 04:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Irrelevant car, irrelevant magazine, irrelevant COTY, and even more irrelevant Rush Limbaugh.

Chances are neither of the three parties (GM, MT, RL) are going to be around for much longer.

I can't believe I even bothered to reply to something so irrelevant
Old 11-24-10, 04:50 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to the Volt, though.....if you don't think the Volt should get the award, then what car would you give it to?
Very good question. Since the Volt isn't officially out. Who were the other contenders? What about the Lexus LFA (extensive use of carbon fiber and a V10 lighter than a V6), CT 200h or the Lexus WT-F?

Last edited by Trexus; 11-24-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 07:52 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Irrelevant car, irrelevant magazine, irrelevant COTY, and even more irrelevant Rush Limbaugh.

Chances are neither of the three parties (GM, MT, RL) are going to be around for much longer.

I can't believe I even bothered to reply to something so irrelevant
You're right, the most listened to person in history is irrelevant.

And if it were up to those that disagree with his politics, free speech would be abolished and yeah, he'd be off the air.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend responds to Rush Limbaugh over Volt COTY choice