Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend responds to Rush Limbaugh over Volt COTY choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 10:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonderful, as this thread degenerates into non-automotive political rhetoric...

Last edited by IS-SV; 11-24-10 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 06:11 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wonderful, as this thread degenerates into non-automotive political rhetoric...
I think it was inevitable with Rush Limbaugh being in the title.
Old 11-28-10, 02:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Very good question. Since the Volt isn't officially out. Who were the other contenders? What about the Lexus LFA (extensive use of carbon fiber and a V10 lighter than a V6), CT 200h or the Lexus WT-F?
WT-F?

but seriously, if we allow cars not available but 'soon', i think the LFA should EASILY blow past the Volt. compact amazingly free-revving v10 with beautiful body proportions, stunning dynamics, and an unequaled uniqueness.
Old 11-28-10, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

but seriously, if we allow cars not available but 'soon', i think the LFA should EASILY blow past the Volt. compact amazingly free-revving v10 with beautiful body proportions, stunning dynamics, and an unequaled uniqueness.
The question is: will the LF-A be built in sufficient numbers to significantly affect the marketplace? MeThinks not. The COTY award is given for not only the most significant new model from an engineering/design point of view, but it also has to be a vehicle that will (or has the potential) to sell in significant numbers. That's usually not the case with limited-production, 300K supercars. And that (probably) also the reason why the Maybach did not get the COTY award when it first debuted about 10 years ago.

Given MT's traditional criteria for the award, the Volt's engineering/design accomplishments, and its (potential) production numbers, it's easy, IMO, to see why it got the prize this year.

As far as TOTY (Truck of the Year), though I haven't reviewed the new Explorer yet (I plan to when it is released), I'd be tempted to nominate either it or the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. The new GC is quite impressive in several areas, and the new Explorer promises to follow-suit.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-10 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 03:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Exactly. COTY is never awarded to super cars. Even more mainstream high end cars like the S-Class or 7-Series never win it. It's typically saved for cars for the realistic marketplace.