Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh Lord...what have I done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 07:06 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

No I am NOT missing the hemi. My coworker has one with the Hemi in yellow (an 05 though)...he is averaging 8mpg city. I can live with 14...not 8. The 4.7 has plenty enough power to do what I need it to do. Its actually overkill for what I need. We really only NEED a Tacoma or Nissan Frontier, but for the deal we got, I was NOT gonna pass up a full size. Why pay more for less truck? The wife and I went back and forth for hours, but no matter which way we sliced it, we can ALWAYS find a reason to have a V8, so why not? I would rather have the power and never need it, then need it 1 day and not have it.
Old 11-25-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
No I am NOT missing the hemi. My coworker has one with the Hemi in yellow (an 05 though)...he is averaging 8mpg city. I can live with 14...not 8. The 4.7 has plenty enough power to do what I need it to do. Its actually overkill for what I need. We really only NEED a Tacoma or Nissan Frontier, but for the deal we got, I was NOT gonna pass up a full size. Why pay more for less truck? The wife and I went back and forth for hours, but no matter which way we sliced it, we can ALWAYS find a reason to have a V8, so why not? I would rather have the power and never need it, then need it 1 day and not have it.
Well-put, Josh. I like your attitude. It shows that you think before you purchase......too many people don't. Chrysler and the auto-press have hyped and publicized both the regular Hemi and SRT-Hemi so much that many potential customers, because of "image", think that if they buy a Charger, 300, or a Ram Truck without it, something is wrong.

Of course, with a new Challenger, that might be a different story. It's hard to imagine a Challenger without a Hemi....even I will admit that. When I was in high school with the 1970 Challenger, nobody gave one a second look unless it had either the original 426 Hemi, the High-Performance 340, the 440 four-barrel, or the 440 Six-Pack....a 145-HP Slant-Six engine was standard, with a step-up to a 318 or 383 V8. Same with its Barracuda twin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 10:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chrysler products have a hugely undeserved reputation for poor quality. They may be crude perhaps, but not always of poor quality. For that reason, a used Chrysler product is often VASTLY underpriced. A local dealer often advertises some of their 2010 SXT Chargers with under 5K miles for under $20K. That's 2/3 the price of a new one.

Congrats Josh, on your purchase. That truck looks nice and should serve you well.
Old 11-25-10, 11:11 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Chrysler products have a hugely undeserved reputation for poor quality. They may be crude perhaps, but not always of poor quality. For that reason, a used Chrysler product is often VASTLY underpriced. A local dealer often advertises some of their 2010 SXT Chargers with under 5K miles for under $20K. That's 2/3 the price of a new one.

Congrats Josh, on your purchase. That truck looks nice and should serve you well.
I can't speak for their other products, bit the rams in particular from 2009 up seem to have the best fit and finish of any truck in its segment. Strange thing to say about a chrysler product I know, but nothing about this truck feels cheap, unlike its predecessors from 2008 and earlier.
Old 11-25-10, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Chrysler, with their most recent products, is indeed trying to correct their past mistakes of doing cheap-plastic interiors, sloppy constructon, and so-so fit/finish. The best examples I've seen so far are the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the newer pickups...but even the formerly POS Dodge Caliber is showing significant improvement in its new interior.
Old 11-27-10, 08:39 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look at Tacoma's or the Tundra? If you did what did you think of them.
Old 11-28-10, 06:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by lamar411
Did you look at Tacoma's or the Tundra? If you did what did you think of them.
We did look at both. Here is a short list of trucks we looked at and reasons we chose not to buy them.

-2008+ Ford Explorer sport trac, same gas mileage as v8 ram, out of a v6. V8 model sport trac was extremely hard to find used...new were over $40k. NOT paying that.

-05+ Tacoma, 05's with nearly 100k miles still go for over 17k in this area. They also get v8 fuel economy unless u get 4 cylinder. I'm tired of torquelessness. The last 4 vehicles I owned were 4 bangers.

-Tundras were similar story to the tacoma, availability and price came into play.

-Chevy offers crap truck wise. Their trucks are fantastic workhorses, but they are plain. Unless you get a 35k+ truck, you get plain jane truckness.

-Ford f150, we looked at a few of these and they are nice but they did not have the smooth, quiet ride and solid ride the dodge had. If you haven't driven a ram since 2008 or before, go drive an 09+. With the coil springs in the rear end and the mean looking front end. In 2009 they redesigned the truck with alot of new features. For Comparison, I will list standard features on My model Ram, and then the standard features of similar model F-150's and Silverado's:
Originally Posted by http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado
Your Built 2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive LS
PACKAGES:
* Chrome Package (Dealer Installed Option) Chrome Package (Dealer Installed Option)$276

POWERTRAIN:

* Suspension Package, Solid Smooth Ride Suspension Package, Solid Smooth Ride
* Vortec 4.8L V8 SFI FlexFuel Engine Vortec 4.8L V8 SFI FlexFuel Engine
* 4-Speed Automatic Transmission 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
* Rear axle, 3.42 ratio Rear axle, 3.42 ratio
* Trailering Package, heavy-duty Trailering Package, heavy-duty
* Heavy-Duty Automatic Locking Rear Differential Heavy-Duty Automatic Locking Rear Differential
* Skid Plate Package
* Integrated Trailer Brake Controller Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
* $200

EXTERIOR:
* Spare Tire Lock
* 3" Round Assist Steps (Dealer Installed Option(4)) 3" Round Assist Steps (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Chrome Grille (Dealer Installed Option(4)) Chrome Grille (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Cargo Management System Rails (Dealer Installed Option(4)) Cargo Management System Rails (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Bed Liner (Dealer Installed Option(4)) Bed Liner (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Bed Rail Protectors (Dealer Installed Option(4))

INTERIOR:
* Front 40/20/40 Split-Bench Seats Front 40/20/40 Split-Bench Seats
* Black Rubberized-Vinyl Floor Covering Black Rubberized-Vinyl Floor Covering
* All-Weather Floor Mats (Dealer Installed Option(4)) All-Weather Floor Mats (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Wheel Theft Deterrent System (Dealer Installed Option(4)) Wheel Theft Deterrent System (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Rear Window Defogger Rear Window Defogger
* Underseat Storage (Dealer Installed Option(4)) Underseat Storage (Dealer Installed Option(4))
* Audio System with CD Player Audio System with CD Player

Your Price:
* $34,914
And some Pix of the interior:

http://www.gofarr.com/detail-2009-ch...d-6222838.html <---some good pix here.

Originally Posted by http://www.ramtrucks.com

2010 Ram 1500 Quad SLT 4x4 $32,085
* Dark Slate / Medium Graystone Interior Colors
* Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat Exterior Paint

Powertrain
* 4.7-Liter Magnum V8 Engine
* 5-Speed Automatic 545RFE Transmission
* GVW Rating - 6,700 Pounds
* 17-Inch x 7.0-Inch Aluminum Wheels
* P265/70R17 BSW All Season Tires
* Media Center 130 CD/MP3 Radio
* Premium Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat
* 115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
* Folding Flat Load Floor Storage
* Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
* Power 10-Way Driver Seat
* Power Lumbar Adjust
* Power Sliding Rear Window Glass
* Rear 60 / 40 Split-Folding Seat
* Class IV Receiver Hitch
* Chrome Accents Group
* Chrome Exhaust Tip by Mopar®
* Chrome Tubular Side Steps
* Trailer Brake Control
* Under Rail Box Bedliner
* Fold-Away Power Trailer Tow Mirrors
* Black Exterior Mirrors
* Exterior Mirrors with Supplemental Signals
* Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps
* Exterior Mirrors with Heating Elements

Net MSRP
$32,085

and the Top of the line Laramie edition:

for comparison here is a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 interior:

EWW.

Fords site wasnt working, I will try to get it a little bit later on, but you get the point.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-28-10 at 07:23 PM.