Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

X5 vs Exterra

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 06:37 AM
Pipe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X5 vs Exterra

ok so im in the market to buy me an suv but im stuck on making a choice of either a brand new exterra or a used BMW X5 (05 with winter package and Sat Nav) both at the same price but im stuck between the 2 and yes this is what i rounded it down to, If anyone could help me with the pros and cons what you guys think?
Old 11-23-10, 06:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd go new Xterra.Buddy has one since '04 and he's tough on a vehicle and it's help up fine with over 100K miles.
A 5 year old BMW will cost you big bucks on repairs and there will be some if not many.

Just my .02.
Old 11-23-10, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Used X5, it might cost more to run but its a much better vehicle overall. Its also not bad off-road with the 18" wheels. Interior is smallish but its a really good SUV.

Don't have much experience with the Xterra other than they are struggling sales wise so you should be able to get a smoking deal on one.

Old 11-23-10, 09:13 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you prefer new or used? For sure the BMW will be more expensive to maintain, but it is a BMW and the looks of the X5 has look damn good old or new. I'd go with the new Nissan Xterra though because I had purchased a used car awhile ago and had a bad experience and like 1Sick said you can get a great deal on it.
Old 11-23-10, 09:55 AM
jason60050
Driver

I owned a 2008 Xterra and it was great...managed 25 mpg on the highway!!! Never had an issue or a rattle with it!!
Old 11-23-10, 11:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old X5 will likely be a sinkhole for money. We have at least one ex-owner that can give more details on how expensive repairs were.
Old 11-23-10, 06:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The old X5 will likely be a sinkhole for money. We have at least one ex-owner that can give more details on how expensive repairs were.
Not sure if you're referring to me or not S, but I agree with you regardless.

Unless it has an extended warranty with significant mileage still remaining it could be an extremely expensive vehicle to own.

Fwiw, the gasket leak I had was quoted as a $4000 fix. Vehicle went away 2 weeks later.
Old 11-23-10, 07:23 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Last winter me and my girl bought an 06 C230 sport good car but there has bin a few issues 1 the tranny has a mind of its own it sometimes stays in one gear and wont come out unless you pull over and restart the car ,the windshield wipers just stopped working for no reason (insurance fixed it) and it sucks *** in the snow (but im at fault for rolling on Pro Contacts in the snow NOOO Beuno!!) My Sc has its own issues but it was owned by a mental midget and i dont mind rebuilding it because its an awesome car.

the reason i was looking at the X5 was due to its styling Built quality and its price,the Exterra i def know will be a very good buy no matter how you slice it its a truck that laughs at off road terrain and i live in NY and snow could get really bad sometimes my job requires me to show up even when the weather is bad (Oil and Heating company) ,I was just gonna buy me a cheap Imrezza and call it a day.
Old 11-23-10, 07:37 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

the X5 looks just like this one
Old 11-23-10, 09:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Xterra would, for many reasons, probably be a safer and more sensible buy. It is going out of production soon, though, because of slow sales, so, if you want a new one, better get shopping.

But also check out the XTerra's ride comfort. It is well-built, reasonably reliable, and handles off-roading very well, but its ride-comfort, on-road, is clearly not up to snuff. Just make sure it is not too uncomfortable for you.
Old 11-23-10, 10:46 PM
WAES300
Driver

The Xterra is a truck. The X5 is more of a cross over isn't it? Personally, I'm big on the Nissan trucks. My family's used them for a while and they're rock solid. Nothing fancy, great engines, imo. They ride like trucks though, that's for sure. The Xterra will be around for at least the 2011 model year, I like the fact that they're still offered in stick shifts..6speed nonetheless!

As for the Bimmer.. My stomach turns just thinking about a used BMW. They're awesome to drive but I don't envy owning one.
Old 11-24-10, 01:01 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The X5 is a fantastic handler for a SUV. I had one and would recommend a 3.0i over the larger engined ones.

The xterra is a base Nissan SUV. I find this is a strange comparo b/c they are very different vehicles. the x5 is refined, handles well and a premium car and the xterra is a rough and tumble off-roader capable vehicle.
Old 11-24-10, 03:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
....than they are struggling sales wise so you should be able to get a smoking deal on one.
Brother-in-law just traded into a 2009 4-Runner from one, put 100K miles on it with never a problem... voted off-road truck of year 3 times, Xterra is solid.

Versus a pre-owned X5, IMO, no-brainer... get the Xterra, he just always wanted a 4-Runner... which I would also STRONGLY consider
Old 11-24-10, 05:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Brother-in-law just traded into a 2009 4-Runner from one, put 100K miles on it with never a problem... voted off-road truck of year 3 times, Xterra is solid.

Versus a pre-owned X5, IMO, no-brainer... get the Xterra, he just always wanted a 4-Runner... which I would also STRONGLY consider
I will second that. We have a 2006 4Runner RWD V8, and the thing is built ironclad.
Old 11-24-10, 07:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Not sure if you're referring to me or not S, but I agree with you regardless.

Unless it has an extended warranty with significant mileage still remaining it could be an extremely expensive vehicle to own.

Fwiw, the gasket leak I had was quoted as a $4000 fix. Vehicle went away 2 weeks later.
C. - Yes good information and feedback based on actual owner experience.

I know 4 owners with similar vintage/higher mileage 3/5/7 series that all have consistent stories of very high repair costs and frequent service visits. None plan to be repeat long-term owners.

The 4-Runner recommendation is a good one.

Quick Reply: X5 vs Exterra