Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car & Driver: 10 Best Cars for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Is the Volt for sale yet? It is not a 33k car it is a 41k base car before tax
credits.

To me the Prius is the proven product here not the Volt but it will probably never
make this list. I honestly think a lot of the media hype is b/c THR GOVERNMENT is pressing buttons.

I like the Volt, great car. 10 best? Not to me but it is their list

Old 11-23-10, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can understand C&D liking a number of things on the new Mustang GT (and, overall, it's a great ponycar), but not the 6MT. The 6MT in the one I reviewed had an awful shift/gate-linkage, particularly in the lower gears. I had no trouble at all with the Camaro SS 6MT, but all kinds of problems with the Mustang's. Perhaps it was just an isolated problem in my test-car, and not an acorss-the-board issue.
Old 11-23-10, 10:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,880 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I just have to say...at this point, the Accord's presence on this list is absolutely hilarious.
Without a doubt. C&D has become so entrenched in their Honda love that they would literally put the Accord on the list no matter how bad the car was. And honestly, the latest Accord is is a horrible vehicle.

C&D has developed a bizarre culture of buying into certain models regardless of how the competent the car actually is. It's pretty strange, and actually very unprofessional.
Old 11-23-10, 10:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is the Volt for sale yet? It is not a 33k car it is a 41k base car before tax
credits.

To me the Prius is the proven product here not the Volt but it will probably never
make this list. I honestly think a lot of the media hype is b/c THE GOVERNMENT is pressing buttons.

I like the Volt, great car. 10 best? Not to me but it is their list
I know the Volt is $41K which is my biggest complaint. And it doesn't need to be on sale to earn the awards it's earned. The rules are that it just needs to to be on the market by December 31st. The journalists have driven it extensively and correctly awarded it the most significant new offering into the auto market. Who can argue that it isn't? It is the very first extended range electric car. Or if people prefer, call it a hybrid that goes 40 miles on no gas.

I also think the Prius should be on the 10 Best but to these publications, it's not fun enough to drive. The Volt is supposedly very satisfying to drive for what it is.
Old 11-23-10, 11:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

My biggest gripe is with the Volt. I don't care how much GM or auto journalists have tested it. The public has not. We've been promised amazing and ground-breaking cars from GM for twenty years now and 95% of them have been failures. So do we all of a sudden take GM's claim seriously after being lied to? I don't. This company needs to prove itself in amazing ways. Further, they are obviously going to toot their own horn (like they have with all new debuts) and C&D has obviously lost all rational by putting in the frumpy Accord over the best-selling Camry. I see no credibility with either two entities. Let a little time go by (sales) and the public will verify this car's potential. I am not saying the Volt could be good. I am saying we've been lied to one too many times. We'd be fools for believing any current GM sales's pitch.
Old 11-23-10, 11:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm curious as to why people are so upset that a car that isn't officially out yet has one these awards?

When the Volt's been out a year for everyone to test drive it, it will no longer be eligible for all the new car awards such as COTY. However, C&D's list isn't limited to new cars so in this case it could be.
Old 11-24-10, 03:07 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The list has been predictable for years now. 3-series, MX5, Boxters, GTI, Accord...
Old 11-24-10, 04:01 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I will NEVER understand the relevance of putting a car on the 10 Best list when it's either new or hasn't been a year or so to prove ANY reliability.

Hell, I could rock up an Edsel for a C&D or MT track test and make them forget about everything for a couple hours especially at deadline-time

PURE ENTERTAINMENT
Old 11-24-10, 05:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
Aston Martin V-12 Vantage
The car may feel a bit like a British Corvette, but the shifter is pure English cream. Not a hint of notchiness. The perfect mate for the Aston’s balanced V-12.

BMW 1-series
Why not the 3-series? Are we off our meds? Well, the 1 has slightly shorter throws. Plus, its well-placed pedals make it a great car in which to teach someone how to properly execute heel-and-toe downshifts.

Ford Mustang GT
Pony cars and manuals go together like Lambos and cologne. The shifter in the new GT is as direct as any pony’s should be.

Honda Civic Si
Slick, smooth, and fast, this is the best front-drive shifter around and probably the best feature of the car. The late S2000—one of the best-shifting cars of all time—would be proud.

Honda Fit
Generally speaking, Honda puts silky and accurate shifters in its cars. The Fit’s may have a little slop in it, but you can tell that the action comes from a long line of great manual transmissions.

Mazda MX-5 Miata
The Miata is a paragon of row-your-own virtue, with its yin-and-yang clutch takeup, balance between shifter weight and throws, and placement of pedals and shifter.

Mazda 2
This transmission just feels good, especially when you consider the car’s $14,730 base price. It also proves cheap cars need not have all their drivability tuning stripped away during a cost-conscious development process.

Porsche Boxster/Cayman
In the mid-engined Porsches, greatness resides not so much in the shifter but in the marriage of clutch and lever. Third pedal takeup is perfect, and that more than makes up for the shifter’s semi-long throws.

Porsche GT2 RS/GT3/GT3 RS
This transmission has bicep-building potential, but its action is guided-missile precise. Shift as fast as you want—the clutch and gearbox will take it all day long.

Volkswagen GTI
Lots of elements conspire to elevate the GTI above its peers, and shifter and clutch feel are important ones. This lever is light in hand, strong in action.

Make mine a Porsche.
Old 11-24-10, 07:15 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I will NEVER understand the relevance of putting a car on the 10 Best list when it's either new or hasn't been a year or so to prove ANY reliability.

Hell, I could rock up an Edsel for a C&D or MT track test and make them forget about everything for a couple hours especially at deadline-time

PURE ENTERTAINMENT
The 10 Best has nothing to do with reliability. If it did, the BMW 3 series wouldn't be there, never mind every year. Neither would the VW GTi and some others.

It's pretty silly to suggest that to be on the 10 Best, years have to pass to prove reliability. Of course we as consumers care, but auto publications mainly care about all the other attributes that make up a great car. The stuff they can measure during hundreds of miles of testing.
Old 11-24-10, 07:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The C&D typical bias to Honda. I wonder how much they pay C&D every year to get their cars on the list.
Old 11-24-10, 07:25 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

It's a list. I personally don't like the 10 best format because the criteria is too fuzzy and C&D's stated reasons for choosing the car aren't persuasive enough. I like lists that choose the best car in each segment. Then a case can be made for what makes that car the best among it's competitors. Automobile's All Star list is much better, I think.
Old 11-24-10, 07:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
It's a list. I personally don't like the 10 best format because the criteria is too fuzzy and C&D's stated reasons for choosing the car aren't persuasive enough. I like lists that choose the best car in each segment. Then a case can be made for what makes that car the best among it's competitors. Automobile's All Star list is much better, I think.
I agree their list isn't very coherent. Especially when they have two cars (Accord/Sonata) from the same segment. How can they both be the best?

Like you said, they should set up 10 key auto categories clearly defined and pick what they feel is the best.

And assuming they stay away from trucks/suvs/vans, the list should be outlined as listed below (with $80K limit),

Best...
-Sub-compact car
-Compact car
-Mid-size car (under $30K)
-Mid-size car (over $30K)
-Full size sedan (under $40K)
-Luxury sedan (over $40K)
-Luxury sedan (over $60K)
-Sports coupe (under $40K)
-Sports coupe (over $40K)
-Hybrid/Electric

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 11-24-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-24-10, 08:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The 10 Best has nothing to do with reliability. If it did, the BMW 3 series wouldn't be there, never mind every year. Neither would the VW GTi and some others.

It's pretty silly to suggest that to be on the 10 Best, years have to pass to prove reliability. Of course we as consumers care, but auto publications mainly care about all the other attributes that make up a great car. The stuff they can measure during hundreds of miles of testing.
Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I agree their list isn't very coherent. Especially when they have two cars (Accord/Sonata) from the same segment. How can they both be the best?

Like you said, they should set up 10 key auto categories clearly defined and pick what they feel is the best.

And assuming they stay away from trucks/suvs/vans, the list should be outlined as listed below (with $80K limit),

Best...
-Sub-compact car
-Compact car
-Mid-size car (under $30K)
-Mid-size car (over $30K)
-Full size sedan (under $40K)
-Luxury sedan (over $40K)
-Luxury sedan (over $60K)
-Sports coupe (under $40K)
-Sports coupe (over $40K)
-Hybrid/Electric

I mostly agree with you BUT the list becomes semi-irrelevant directly related to your points above... as I said, pure entertainment

... and yes, if its a TEN BEST, reliability HAS to be in my equation... a TEN BEST that sits on the side of the road wouldn't qualify, at least in my book
Old 11-24-10, 09:14 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I mostly agree with you BUT the list becomes semi-irrelevant directly related to your points above... as I said, pure entertainment

... and yes, if its a TEN BEST, reliability HAS to be in my equation... a TEN BEST that sits on the side of the road wouldn't qualify, at least in my book
I think reliability is important but not in this instance since this is an enthusiast's list and enthusiast mags have never concerned themselves with reliability data. That's a list for Consumer reports.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver: 10 Best Cars for 2011