Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The top 10 most congested roads in America

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 06:50 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I live just a couple of miles from Merrifield. All of the 95/495 Beltway can be a mess...not just this section of it. Some of the worst Beltway areas are around the infamous I-95 Interchange in Springfield, where I-95 branches off to the south going to Richmond. Endless road construction and lane re-routings, in this area, just makes things worse.
Yes, stay away from the beltway!!, Not only bad traffic, but insane drivers as well. Were the other two highways, 395 and I-95 are not to bad in comparision.
Old 11-23-10, 06:54 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
What you have to keep in mind is that the speed or stop-and-go traffic does necessarily tell you about the amount of drivers on a specific road. A road with poor design and constant stop-and-go traffic does not mean it gets more traffic than a better designed road system with flowing traffic.
That's exactly my point. . . my warp comment was more sarcastic humor than a real comparison. But I agree with your point which is why I made my remark.

The amount of cars on the roads in LA is easily double. Even if you dumped the entire San Francisco population onto the roads, it wouldn't equal a fraction of what Los Angeles sees. However, the roads ARE better designed in LA, with sometimes twice as many lanes as I-80, and tons of alternate freeways and routes, BUT the roads are STILL more heavily congested. It's a double whammy, more cars with disproportionately more lanes and roads, more congestion. . . and no real mass transit systems like MUNI or BART. The Metrolink in LA will drop you off at the nearest ghetto, and will gladly take you from ghetto to ghetto, but it won't get 99% of people to their place of work. Embarcadero stop in S.F. BART will serve a 1/4 of the area, EASILY.
Old 11-24-10, 06:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Who the heck wrote this survey? I've lived in S.F., Sacramento, and Los Angeles, and the traffic on Interstates 5, 10, 405, 605, 105, and 110 in L.A. all make I-80 look like warp transit.
lol

Old 11-24-10, 06:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i second the beltway. having to travel down to baltimore and dc for work, i dread having to go down there. i always leave an extra 2 hours early so i dont get stuck in traffic.

delaware is a ***** too on I-95. i use to go 141 to 95 to hit the delaware memorial bridge and the south bound lanes of 95 were always bumper to bumper 4 lines wide for as far as i could see during rush hour.
Old 11-24-10, 11:46 AM
seanlee
Driver

no I 10 and 105?
i took me 1 hr 15 minutes to move 20 miles on those roads, on average.

and i did that for 2 years.
Old 11-24-10, 12:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
The Metrolink in LA will drop you off at the nearest ghetto, and will gladly take you from ghetto to ghetto, but it won't get 99% of people to their place of work.
That's funny
Old 11-24-10, 05:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

10. Miami: The Palmetto Expressway near Miami International Airport

I'm not so sure I'd put this one in the list with the other ones mentioned. There are other areas of Miami that can be much worse.

My girlfriend hits this area on her commute every morning to Doral, which is just west of the airport and it's the area just SOUTH of this junction that gets backed up almost to Bird Road (SW 40th Street) and made worse by the recent construction on this road.

Where it can get dicey on occasion is where you turn to go east on 836 East toward Miami and that road (just south of the southernmost airport runway) can get well backed up at times.

If you want a better area to look for congestion at, I would take US1 Northbound on any morning commute particularly near Pinecrest (near Suniland Shopping Center) and closer to Coconut Grove and Coral Gables and US1 South just after getting off I-95 and going all the way down to Dadeland on the evening commute. When I grew up in Miami, US1 was nice, not anymore.

Also, some of you who take the Palmetto westbound after coming off the Golden Glades Interchange know that big bend and how traffic can get backed up there in the morning.