Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The top 10 most congested roads in America

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 09:19 AM
LexFather

Post The top 10 most congested roads in America

1. The I-95 Corridor: Interstate 95 from New York City to Washington, D.C.

2. Boston: Westbound Massachusetts Turnpike from Newton to Interstate 84 in Sturbridge

3. Chicago: Tri-State Tollway from Hammond, IN to North of Chicago

4. New York City: Throgs Neck Bridge and Whitestone Bridge

5. San Francisco, Calif.: Eastbound Interstate 80 to Sacramento and Tahoe

6. Atlanta: Interstate 285 in both directions between I-75 and I-85

7. Washington, D.C.: Interstate 495 from Merrifield, Va., to Landover, Md.

8. Dallas: Interstate 35

9. Detroit: Northbound US-23 and Northbound I-75 Merge

10. Miami: The Palmetto Expressway near Miami International Airport

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...ads_2010-11-17

Old 11-23-10, 10:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to add to the list (since I go through this Hell every morning):

Los Angeles: 405 Freeway between Santa Monica (I-10) thru LAX to Long Beach (I-710)
Old 11-23-10, 10:12 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprises there as they're also major arteries in some of more densely populated areas of the U.S.
Old 11-23-10, 10:22 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I95 is only bad in a few areas going from NYC to DC:

Cross Bronx then across the George Washington Bridge, always jammed.

Exit 8 in mid NJ, where the 6 lane per side of the TP become 2.

Bridge into DE, actually the entire DE into MD corridor is a mess, always conjested.

From Baltimore to DC, 50/50 chance of either minimal traffic, or complete parking lot
Old 11-23-10, 10:33 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

NY- 495 LIE, from 3pm-7pm u are screwed.
Old 11-23-10, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX[B
7. Washington, D.C.:[/B] Interstate 495 from Merrifield, Va., to Landover, Md.
I live just a couple of miles from Merrifield. All of the 95/495 Beltway can be a mess...not just this section of it. Some of the worst Beltway areas are around the infamous I-95 Interchange in Springfield, where I-95 branches off to the south going to Richmond. Endless road construction and lane re-routings, in this area, just makes things worse.
Old 11-23-10, 12:01 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BQE pretty much all the time. Rush hour is stop and go at best.
Old 11-23-10, 12:06 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Los Angeles: 405 Freeway between Santa Monica (I-10) thru LAX to Long Beach (I-710)
i second that! although I think it's been getting a little better, now that the extra lane is in place and there isn't any construction on the 405. i'm there almost every friday during rush hour....not fun
Old 11-23-10, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eastbound 80 in CA is bad, not sure it warrants top 10 ranking.
Old 11-23-10, 01:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

#3 is a tollway, which means we get to pay for the privilege of driving on it.
Old 11-23-10, 01:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

If weather.com considers those roads, I wonder what they consider as a freeway lol
Old 11-23-10, 03:55 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I don't know how the 110/10 interchange (that you pass on this route) isn't on the list. It's not uncommon to be in slow traffic all day and throughout the night, even up until 2 AM.

Do you ride your bike on this route Philip? If you do, you've got some cojones! I used to split lanes on the 405 years ago but stopped due to fear of death.
Old 11-23-10, 04:30 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone traveling the I-95 corridor passing through Delaware and entering Maryland (and vice-versa) this Thanksgiving, I suggest you pack even more patience. The toll plaza is under construction with several toll booths out of service and lane restrictions. It typically backs up during holiday weekends but construction at a toll plaza makes it even worse. Good luck!

Delaware warns drivers about Delaware
Holiday motorists urged to find ways to avoid dreaded toll plaza
November 19, 2010|By Michael Dresser, The Baltimore Sun

This year, even Delaware is warning motorists about the dreaded Delaware toll plaza.

Maryland's eastern neighbor has put drivers on alert that they could face significant construction delays approaching its Newark Toll Plaza along Interstate 95 at the height of Thanksgiving travel.

In a notice on its website, the Delaware Department of Transportation took the unusual step of urging motorists to find a way around paying a $4 toll each way for the privilege of using the Delaware Turnpike.
Advertisement

"Due to the on-going I-95 Newark Toll Plaza Reconstruction, reduced toll lane access and altered traffic patterns will greatly impact Thanksgiving Holiday travelers," the notice said. "These factors, combined with the anticipated increase of holiday traffic, will result in serious backups and travel delays, starting as early as Tuesday morning, Nov. 23 and lasting through Monday evening, Nov. 29."

For many years, the Delaware toll plaza has been one of the worst bottlenecks in the Northeast. The state has undertaken a project intended to relieve the waiting at the plaza, but until it is completed, construction is expected to complicate matters.

The Maryland Transportation Authority amplified the warning Thursday, telling motorists that the northbound lines at the Delaware tollbooths could extend as far as Harford County next Tuesday and Wednesday for what would be about a 20-mile backup.

The Maryland agency also warned drivers that U.S. 40's Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge over the Susquehanna River will not be a good alternative for holiday traffic because it is operating with only one lane open in each direction during preservation work. U.S. 40 runs parallel to I-95 in that corridor, and the Hatem Bridge normally has two lanes open in each direction.

Motorists heading for the Philadelphia area could avoid even the worst-case backups by using U.S. 1 and crossing the Susquehanna on the Conowingo Dam. That would avoid the $5 Maryland toll on I-95.

If the jams are as bad as predicted, motorists heading to New York or New Jersey may find themselves in a long backup to reach the Elkton exit that leads to a popular tollbooth bypass through Delaware.

Drivers heading in that direction may be more likely to avoid backups if they get off I-95 soon after crossing the Susquehanna and reach eastbound U.S. 40 via either southbound Route 222 or Route 272. Once in Delaware on U.S. 40, it is a short drive to reconnect with Interstate 95 via northbound Delaware 896 without having to pay that state's toll.

michael.dresser@baltsun.com
Old 11-23-10, 05:32 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Who the heck wrote this survey? I've lived in S.F., Sacramento, and Los Angeles, and the traffic on Interstates 5, 10, 405, 605, 105, and 110 in L.A. all make I-80 look like warp transit.
Old 11-23-10, 06:26 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Who the heck wrote this survey? I've lived in S.F., Sacramento, and Los Angeles, and the traffic on Interstates 5, 10, 405, 605, 105, and 110 in L.A. all make I-80 look like warp transit.
What you have to keep in mind is that the speed or stop-and-go traffic does necessarily tell you about the amount of drivers on a specific road. A road with poor design and constant stop-and-go traffic does not mean it gets more traffic than a better designed road system with flowing traffic.

Quick Reply: The top 10 most congested roads in America