Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Holiday Review: 2011 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Holiday Review: 2011 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible

My CL Special Holiday Review this year.......the 2011 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible.

http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/#/xk/models_and_pricing/

In a Nutshell: With this car, forget about keeping up with the Jones's...........you ARE the Jones's.

(with top up)

Well, it's that time of year again.....Thanksgiving, and the march into the Holiday Season. And, every year, of course, I do a special Holiday Review of a relatively expensive, upmarket car. I had planned to do the Porsche Panamera this season, but, because I had a clear chance to do it a few months ago, did it back then instead (getting appointments and/or vehicle-availability in that class is not always easy). Last year, I did the then-new BMW 550 GT, which, I thought, was a superbly-finished and superbly-driving car (though classed and sold as a 5-series, it was actually done with the 7-series drivetrain and chassis).....and, to an extent, with a price to match. I myself was very impressed with the car, but a number of you felt that the 550 GT's rear-end styling was questionable (I agree), it was overpriced for what you got (I don't necessarily agree), and it was overly-heavy (but don't forget, it was done on the heavier 7-series platform, not the 5-series).

This year, for the holidays, not having driven a Jaguar XK for some time (though having reviewed both the XF and XJ sedans), I decided to check one out. They are in reasonable stock right now at area Jaguar dealerships, though, perhaps because of the lowering temperatures and the approach of winter, the supply of XK convertibles and/or XKR supercharged models is not particularly good. Actually, though, this can (sometimes) be a good time of year to buy a convertible, as demand for them is obviously not as high as in the spring and summer, and deals can be had. But, either way, there is no such thing as a cheap new XK.....as you will shortly see.

The Jaguar XK coupe/convertibles have a long and glamorous history, even in the U.S., dating back to the late 1940s when GIs and military personnel, returning from Europe and the war, brought back the first XK120 models, which became a styling sensation. The XK120 deveolped, through the 1950s, into the improved XK140 model, and, from there, into the all-new 1961 XKE, which was arguably one of the most sensational sport/luxury cars of all time....I place it in the same class as the equally-sensatonal Mercedes Gull-Wing SL models of the mid-1950s. Unfortunately, the XK and XKE, like other Jaguars (and many other British-designed cars of the period), suffered from sloppy, indifferent assembly, poorly-designed gaskets which promoted fluid-leaks, and, of course, the notoriously unreliable Lucas electrical systems. The standard automotive joke during that period was..... "I drove my Jag coast-to-coast, and it only caught fire once". Jaguars could easily seduce with their looks (they still do, to some extent), but, in general, didn't have the build-quality, back then, to back those looks up.

Things started to improve when Ford bought Jaguar in the late 1980's, and general build quality took a step up for several years. But, after the mid-1990s, quality started to tumble again, especially with the AWD Jaguar X-Class sedans, which had been hurriedly-developed from the European Ford-Mondeo sedan platform. I generally liked the X-Class myself, but its reputation took a tumble in America (I agree it was not well-built), and it was eventually dropped. The XK line, meanwhile, because of relatively low sales, didn't have much data with Consumer Reports, and so CR generally does not publish a reliability-record for it. Ford, recently, of course, after saying Ta-ta (pun intended) to both its Jaguar and Land-Rover Divisions, sold them off to Tata Motors, an India-based auto company. So, now, Ford will no longer have any say (or effect) in the design of future Jaguars....and we'll see if Tata can give them the same upward-move in reliability that Ford itself gave them (temporarily) in the 1990s.

For 2011, the Jaguar XK line, in America, comes in two trim levels and two body styles...a 5.0L XK coupe/convertible and an XKR 5.0 Supercharged coupe/convertible. The base 5.0L V8 has 385 HP and 380 ft-lbs. of torque; the Supercharged 5.0 510 HP and 461 ft-lbs. All share the same 6-speed automatic transmission with Sport/Manual Paddle-Shift...no traditional manual is offered. Even in base form, this car is not Chump-Change...prices, even on the base models, start around 82K, and run 100K and more for the XKR convertibles.

But, at least to some extent, you get what you pay for. For the review, since it was the Holiday Season, and especially since I hadn't tried out a supercharged Jaguar engine in quite some time, I chose a Cream-of-the-Crop, top-line, XKR Supercharged convertible. For the 104K+ this car listed at (the most expensive mass-production car I've ever reviewed, 6K more than the Panamera), you expect to drive a pretty impressive car, and that's exactly what you get. Sitting in and driving the Supercharged XKR convertible, to put it bluntly, is like dating a supermodel, even if Tyra Banks or Naomi Campbell isn't sitting right next to you in the front seat. This car, despite the slightly stiff ride for my tastes, was an immense delight to drive.....it brought a big smile to my face from the moment I eased it out of the lot. There are a lot of vehicles I'm generally impressed with, but I haven't enjoyed a test-drive like this for quite some time. My faith/religion and personal morals generally keep me from being overly-materialistic, but, in all honesty, it was difficult not to be infatuated with this car....top-down or top-up. And the relatively pleasant late-fall temperatures today (for the Washington-area), in the upper-60's, made for a nice top-down evaluation as well.

OK....so much for the hype. details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Jaguar XJR Supercharged Convertible

BASE PRICE: $102,125

OPTIONS:

Heated Windshield: $375

Special Paint Trim and Top: $1000

(a confusing option...Jaguar charges it for certain paint/trim/top combinations)

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $875

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $104,375

DRIVETRAIN: RWD, Longitudinally-mounted, 5.0L Supercharged V8, 510 HP @ 6000-6500 RPM, Torque 461 Ft-lbs. @ 2500-5500 RPM, 6-speed automatic transmission with Manual Sport/Paddle-Shift.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 15 City / 22 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Ebony (Black)

INTERIOR: Carmel Leather with Charcoal seat-stitching and Black Walnut Wood Trim

PLUSSES:

Gorgeous styling...even with the convertible top-up.

All-aluminum chassis helps keep weight down.

Muscle-car HP/Torque.

Supercharger helps retain engine power at high altitudes/thin air.

Smooth/quiet, but positive, automatic transmission shifts.

Good handling.

Relatively flat cornering.

Good (but not sports-car quick) steering response.

Relatively quiet for a fabric-insulated convertible.

Quick lowering/raising top (about 15 seconds).

Little cowl shake.

Large, effective, but not particularly fast-acting brakes.

Well-done body sheet metal.

Well-done paint job.

16 exterior paint colors offered, though some are extra-cost and/or special-order only.

7 different convertible top colors offered.

Jewel-like interior fit/finish and trim.

Classy interior wood-trim.

Leather-trimmed dash/door panels.

5 different wood-trims available.

Ultra-comfortable leather seats, with dozens of power and memory adjustments.

Superb seat-leather quality.

5 different leather-stitch color/patterns available.

6 different Aluminum-Braid interior color/trim patterns available.

Killer Stereo.

Easy-to-read, clear gauges.

Relatively simple-to-use dash touch screen (compared to some others).

Power Tilt/telescope steering column.

Regal-like ceiling/sun-visor trim/fabric.

Well-finished, plush trunk carpet.

Bottle of Jaguar Leather Cleaner included in the trunk.

Transmission-shift rotary-**** and parking-brake-tab (seemingly) easier to operate than in other Jaguars.

Jaguar 5/50 Drivetrain/Bumper-to-Bumper Standard Platinum Warranty better than that of German upmarket-brands.

Standard 5/50 Free Maintenance AND replacement of wear-and-tear items (how many other vehicles offer THAT?)

MINUSES:

Clean-out-your-bank-account price.

Supercharged R models and/or convertibles not readily in stock at some Jaguar dealerships.

Ride not harsh, but on the stiff side.

Steering response not quite as fast as expected.

Numb, somewhat over-boosted steering feel at low speeds.

Brakes not particularly quick-acting.

Much-too-tight engine fit under the hood.

Poor underhood layout for DIY'ers (but, of course, few owners in this price range do their own work).

Somewhat restricted trunk space with the folding-top.

Restricted rear-vision out the back.

Mirror-mount position on the windshield can, in some cases, impede forward vision.

Low windshield-header-bar for tall persons.

Cabin wind-blocker is a dealer-accessory, not standard.

Almost useless rear seat (par for the course in many coupes/convertibles).

No body-side mouldings for ding/dent protection.

Temporary spare-tire in the trunk.

Very high lease-pricing.

High predicted depreciation.

No predicted reliability rating in Consumer Reports (low sales.....not enough data).

EXTERIOR:

Though the XK series shares its bodies and general platform with some equivalent (and more expensive) Aston martin models, there is still no mistaking it for what it is...a stunningly beautiful Jaguar coupe/convertible series. The XK and XKR convertibles, IMO, look gorgeous with the top down, and also, to only a slightly lesser-extent, with the top up (many convertibles, in contrast, look somewhat awkward with the top up). With the car stopped (it can also be done at low speeds), a simple push of a switch on the overhead console drops all of the power-windows and folds back the thick, insulated, fabric-top in about 15 seconds. The top drops back down into an aft-compartment, which impacts on some trunk space (more on that below), and the top-covers automatically pop into place. The whole process, of course, repeats itself in reverse when you hit the other side of the rocker-switch to raise the top back up. The top automatically latches back into the winshield-header...there are no levers to snap like in cheaper convertibles. The sheet metal, besides the elegant styling, is also fairly solid and well-done, especially considering that the body and frame are aluminum (for weight reduction) instead of steel. The paint job is well-done, although not to the same superb standard as Lexus or Audi, and 14 different exterior paint colors are offered. I liked many of the paint colors, although some are not kept in dealer-stock and are special-order only. Some, unfortunately, also cost extra....as witnessed by the extra $1000 that Jaguar hung on my test-car for "(Special-Paint-trim/Top). The exterior hardware was all well-done and well-attached. The twin side-mirrors can't be folded by hand, so I couldn't check the snap/swivel/lock motion like I usually do.......the folding-action, besides the regular mirror-adjustments is also done with power-motors. The front end, as with some other Jaguars, had nice, twin wire-mesh grilles, top and bottom.....and the Jaguar cat ornament on the grille. There was, however, no traditional leaping-cat ornament on the hood....maybe (?) a casualty of the new pedestrian-impact laws, although some Jaguars have a pedestrian-friendly one available for order as an accessory.

There were just two things I didn't like on the outside. One, the relatively low ground-clearance makes it hard to get a hose underneath to clean off the underbody....but to be honest, IMO, only an idiot would drive a beautiful, well-finished, high-powered, rear-drive car like this in winter snow/salt/sand to start with and get the underbody and paint that dirty. Two, (and I have complained about this on a number of new vehicles), there are no body side-mouldings to ward-off dings and dents from careless door-openers in parking-lots. Yes, I know that some you you feel that traditional moldings, for various reasons, (mainly styling) are a thing of the past, and that it does no good to carp about their demise. I disagree.......I still think they should be standard, and it is interesting that Subaru is now offering them as a retro-fit dealer-accessory for some recent cars that they skimped on by not putting them on at the factory....customers have complained.

UNDERHOOD:

Typical of luxury/upmarket vehicles, but, in this case, even more-so. Open the solid hood (it opens from the back, and is hinged at the front), and two nice gas-struts hold it up for you. A nice, thick insulation pad seals off much of the engine noise (but some exhaust noise comes in.....more on that later). The longitudinally-mounted 5.0L V8 and its supercharger-assembly fits in VERY tight, with virtually no room to reach anything on the block. Worse, the extremely tight-fit of the engine, with almost no room for air to circulate around it, may (?) be a cause of concern for higher-than-average underhood temperatures (Nissan has had some trouble with this in the tight fit of its 3.7L V6 in some of its vehicles). The large plastic engine-cover, of course, also helps to hold in heat (blocking top-engine-access in the process), and the supercharger, from air/fuel compression, adds even more heat. The battery is back in the trunk. All of the other underhood components are hidden by plastic covers. There is no oil dipstick....Jaguar uses oil-sensors, and oil changes are required at 15,000 mile intervals. Of course, having full-synthetic oil helps, both with the (possible) heat buildup underhood and the long oil-change intervals. Factory-maintenance, including oil changes, is free for 5 years or 50,000 miles. The other dipsticks/reservoirs and filler-caps are reasonably easy to reach. Two short underhood braces help give the front-end better rigidity to help resist convertible cowl-shake (and they do help...more on this later).

INTERIOR:

This car is not only a delight to look at and drive, but to sit in as well, although, if you are tall, you have to play with the umteen-dozen-power-seat-adjustable switches to get comfortable in a position low enough that the roof doesn't crush your head when it lowers. The windshield-header-bar, for tall people, can cause your head to stick up above it (and my baseball-cap) if you don't get the seat set correctly....which may take some time. The rear-view mirror's position in the windshield can also interfere, in some cases, with forward vision for tall people. But, get everything set correctly (there's almost nothing on the seats that isn't power-adjustable, even the side-bolsters), get comfortable, and this is one CLASSY interior (yes, Tyra and Naomi would love it, and be right at home). The seats not only have REAL leather (not the imitation crap found in some upmarket German cars), but REAL NICE leather as well. You can tell the difference between this leather and even the rougher leather in some less-expensive Jaguars....this leather is as smooth and sumptuous as satin (to be fair, though, Mercedes and BMW also have smooth leather like this on their very top-line cars, too, using the imitation crap, or rougher/grainier leather, on their cheaper models). The seats, especially if and when you get all the power-positions right, are supremely comfortable, yet supportive. The steering wheel, with the usual integrated phone controls, is classic Jaguar....attractive and comfortable to hold. The wood trim on the dash is also classic-Jaguar...rich and dash-wide (the way, IMO, it's supposed to be). 5 different wood-trim patterns are offered......in addition to 6 aluminum-braid trims, 5 different seat-leather colors, 5 different leather-stitch patterns, so there is little excuse for not finding a combination you are satisfied with. The leather covers not only the seats, of course, but the entire upper-dash, steering-wheel rim, and major parts of the inner-door-panels as well. Jaguar certainly did not skimp in this area.

Nor did they skimp with most of the rest of the interior, either. The THICK, insulated fabric convertible-top has nice, plush-feeling trim on the headliner.....as on the matching sun-visors. Jaguar (apparantly) used a fabric top to help keep the weight down, but, IMO, you couldn't tell much difference in the solidness of the fabric-top from the folding plastic/metal hard-tops found in some convertibles...it's that well-done. The chrome and brushed-metal trim inside is also classy, especially on the console. The XK uses, on the console, a chrome rotary-shift **** for the transmission and a pull-up, chrome tab-lever for the parking-brake. But, for some reason (don't ask me why), both feel more-natural and less-awkward to use than the ones on other Jaguar models.....and I don't miss that old, idiotic, J-Gate shifter from previous Jaguars at all. The killer-stereo has superb sound quality, and I found even its even the stereo's touch-screen functions on the dash easier and quicker to use than systems like, say, BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI. The interior *****/switches/controls were generally sturdy-feeling and fairly easy to operate. The twin round, more-or-less traditional Jaguar twin primary gauges were clear and easy to read. Perhaps the only really negative thing inside was, of course, the nearly useless back seat for all but young children.....which, of course, is pretty much a given in many coupes and convertibles. It is useful, IMO, mostly as a package-shelf (just make sure that nothing you dump on the seats will mar that nice smooth leather).

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Not bad by coupe/convertible standards, although, with the folding-top down, some trunk space, of course, is compromised (you can, of course, then use the tiny rear seat for things that won't damage the leather upholstery). The rear seat itself does not fold down (but, to compensate, the extra-bracing, from the non-folding seat-support, helps with rear-end chassis rigidity, always a concern in convertibles). The general level of trunk-finish is high, with nice, plush-feeling black carpet on the trunk floor and walls. Over on the left wall, in a small strap/pocket, is a nice little surprise.....a bottle of Jaguar-approved leather-cleaner fluid (and the superb leather all over the the interior, of course, deserves it). Under the trunk floor lies the battery and, (in a 100K+ car, mind you), a temporary-spare-tire instead of a real one. Excuses for this?.....I've heard better ones from politicians caught with their hand in the cookie-jar. But, all in all, by convertible standards, a nicely-done cargo area.

ON THE ROAD:

After you're done oogling the sumptuous interior, it's time to get belted-up and prepare for another treat.......DRIVING this classy set of wheels. Start up the big 5.0L Supercharged V8 with a proximity-fob and an engine START/STOP button, Saab-style, down on the console. The engine fires up Lexus-smooth, but, especially with the top down, there is just enough of a low rumble of exhaust to let you know you are in a sport-luxury GT/Touring car. Let the engine temperature come come up a little, take it out on the road, nail the throttle (within break-in limits), and the 461 ft-lbs. of torque (comparable to some Mercedes AMG powerplants) hammers you back in the seat as the car takes off like a junkie running from a DEA agent. This car has some real power.......by the seat of my pants, it can handily dust off the new Mustang GT, and, IMO, even outruns the new Camaro SS and some base-Corvettes I've driven. The aluminum structure, of course, keeping the weight down to roughly 4000 lbs (4250-4300 with me in it), doesn't hurt either. And, of course, being a luxury vehicle, the exhaust noise, even on hard acceleration, is fairly low, but you can still tell it from a Lexus LS460. The XK, of course, is a Touring/GT car, not meant to be library-quiet.

It's not quite library-quiet in the wind-noise control department, either, with the top up. The well-sealed/well-insulated top does its job, though, and keeps the the wind-noise surprisingly low for a fabric-top convertible. I drive a while with the top both up and down to check it out each way. With the top down, it is just enough of an open-air experience to make it both fun and classy, with some wind-buffeting, but not severe. If you want to calm the wind a little, so that Tyra or Naomi won't get their hair ruffled-up (don't get me started on the subject of my own hair), a built-in wind-blocker is available as a dealer-ordered accessory. I don't know what effect this will have on the gas mileage, if any, as it redirects the wind-flow and air-resistance a little. With the top up, the car is almost as quiet and well-sealed as an equivalent hard-top (again, the thick top-insulation helps).

The 6-speed automatic transmission, with a Sport/Manual Paddle-Shift mode, is smooth and quiet, but yet positive-shifting as well. All sport/manual shifts are done with the steering-column-paddles, as they are better-suited to that function than the console rotary-switch. Ride quality is a little on the stiff side for my tastes, but this car is so much fun to drive that it's something I easily overlook. A relatively firm ride, of course, is to be expected in this type of car, especially since Jaguar is focusing more on handling now than with the cushy-riders of the past. Even so, the handling/steering response, though definitely good, didn't seem quite as athletic as I expected, though this car will give a good account of itself on a twisting/winding road. Of course, this is (as I stated before) a luxury GT/Touring car, not a hard-edged sports-car like a Corvette or Viper. The power-steering, unlike that of BMW and some of the Mercedes competition, felt overboosted, with a lack of road feel at low speeds. A "Sport" switch on the console claims to vary the ride/handling/steering response a little by adjusting the steering-boost and suspension/shock damping, and I could indeed feel some effect from it, especially in a yet-stiffer ride and slightly better handling. Jaguar claims that the XK convertible has no discernable cowl/body shake (the bane of many convertibles, especially older and lower-priced ones), and I couldnt detect much, if any, shake or stering-wheel vibration in my test car. I did, however, regardless of the switch-position, notice slightly better handling with the top up, perhaps due to slightly better chassis-rigidity, than with the top down, but again it wasn't much of a diffrence. Cornering was usually flat, with little body lean. Given the big size of both the front and rear brake rotors/calipers (they appeared to be Jaguar-designed brakes, not Brembos) in the 19-inch wheels, I expected a little stronger initial action than they actually produced. Perhaps the rotors/linings just needed more breaking-in (something I usually don't find on test-cars, even brand-new ones). But, for whatever reason, when you first hit the pedal, there is only a slight reaction for the first half-second or so, then it becomes progressively stronger. It's not excessive pedal-sponginess like you find on, say, a Toyota Corolla, but just a somewhat un-linear motion/response. Otherwise, though, the brakes are good, strong, and do their job. I didn't notice any significant problems with my big size-15 Clodhopper shoes hanging-up on the bottom or side of the brake pedal, when going from gas to brake, like I do in some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

This is a LOT of money, for a LOT of car, for a LOT of classiness, and a LOT of top-down fun. Its drivetrain will embarass those of many classic muscle-cars. The interior (if you search for a car so-equipped or special-order it) can be found in hundreds of possible color/trim combinations. The general level of interior fit/finish will definitely impress both you and your dates (even if they aren't supermodels). The handling, while not sports-car-precise, makes no apologies, as does the road/wind-noise isolation, especially by convertible standards. Nor do you have to put up with the bane of some convertibles......cowl-shake. You can have, on the outside, what too many cars simply don't offer any more......a choice of 14 different colors instead of just a half-dozen or so. There is free factory-maintenance for the first 5 years, or 50,000 miles. Best of all, the Jaguar warranty, now at 5/50 for everything bumper-to-bumper, gives at least some peace of mind and freedom from worry about the less-than-perfect Jaguar reliability record.

The car does have a few flies in the ointment, but they aren't many, and, given the type of car it is, are not serious. The rear seat is virtually useless for anything but a nice, leather-covered package-shelf, but that's to be expected in most 2-door convertibles (the Chrysler Sebring convertible is one of the few exceptions). The underhood-layout is a complete mess, but, unless the tight-fitting engine and lack of air-circulation contributes to heat build-up and a shorter engine life, is probably not something for most people to be concerned about...most people, in this buyer-class, don't work on their own cars anyway. The lack of a (proper) true spare-tire and body-side moldings is, IMO, an insult at this 100K+ price, but, as has been pointed out by posters in the CAR CHAT forum, more and more common these days.

Would I myself spend this kind of money on a new car? That question is easy to answer.....no. But. many people do, especially in the D.C. and SoCal areas, where more new cars are sold than in any other parts of the country. I myself feel that this kind of price tag is just too much, but many can afford it. This car, as a daily driver, would not work for me......I'm a firm believer in AWD traction. But, if I just wanted a weekend, dry-weather car that I kept in a garage all week long, or something to impress the ladies with, or something classy and luxurious that would still outrun many muscle-cars, and price was no problem, this would certainly be an ideal set of wheels. With this car, it wouldn't be hard to keep up with the Jones's. In fact, as I said in the opening statement, with this car, you could BE the Jones's.

So, Happy Holidays, everyone.........and Happy car shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 10:05 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent review as usual Mike!

Throw in the "Speed" and "Black" pack and you have an even more amazing looking and performing car. Can't wait to have a look at this one.
Old 11-23-10, 10:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Excellent review as usual Mike!

Thanks.

Throw in the "Speed" and "Black" pack and you have an even more amazing looking and performing car. Can't wait to have a look at this one.
Probably...but it makes an already expensive car that much more so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 10:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Great review Mike. The XK has really grown on me over the years. Each model year getting better and better. The addition of the revised engines and newer interior really sold me on it. Personally I'm more of a coupe > convertible guy, but If I were in search of a GT for top down fun and cruising, this might be the one.

I haven't enjoyed a test-drive like this for quite some time. My faith/religion and personal morals generally keep me from being overly-materialistic, but, in all honesty, it was difficult not to be infatuated with this car....top-down or top-up.
Well put, glad you enjoyed it so much. Maybe an early Christmas present...
Old 11-23-10, 10:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beyond Aston Martin models, I would consider the XKR my dream car.

I love the look and feel of the car. It, in a word, is sumptuous. It may not be the best performance car on the road, but I like it as a whole package.

Alas, the cost of the car (both initially, and in maintenance and depreciation, and to insure) is too much for me to handle. I feel poor whenever I "Build my Jag" in their website. And because reliability is still uncertain, I feel that a used high mileage Jag would be a risk, even at a fraction of the price.

I guess I'll keep on wishing...
Old 11-23-10, 10:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great review Mike.
Thanks.

The XK has really grown on me over the years. Each model year getting better and better. The addition of the revised engines and newer interior really sold me on it.
We'll see how future ones turn out, now that Tata Motors, not Ford, will be calling the shots on the next-generation model.

Personally I'm more of a coupe > convertible guy, but If I were in search of a GT for top down fun and cruising, this might be the one.
You don't have to pay 100K+ for a convertible, either, if you are willing to give up the supercharger and some standard equipment. Base 5.0L convertibles are considrably cheaper...and base coupes start around 82K. In fact, the XK coupe parked right next to the XKR convertible I reviewed listed at 84K.

Well put, glad you enjoyed it so much. Maybe an early Christmas present...
I may (?) be getting a new car next year....but it will not likely be in this league.
Old 11-23-10, 10:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Beyond Aston Martin models, I would consider the XKR my dream car.
The XK and XKR, in effect, are simply cheaper versions of the Astons, having come off the same basic platform. They do, however, lack the Aston's smoother-running V12 option.....although the XKR's supercharged V8 seems comparable in power.

I love the look and feel of the car. It, in a word, is sumptuous. It may not be the best performance car on the road, but I like it as a whole package.
Totally agree. Not only with you, but even for someone like me, who is basically a non-materialist and is used to seeing and driving new cars, this car is hard to avoid being awed with.

Alas, the cost of the car (both initially, and in maintenance and depreciation, and to insure) is too much for me to handle. I feel poor whenever I "Build my Jag" in their website. And because reliability is still uncertain, I feel that a used high mileage Jag would be a risk, even at a fraction of the price.
The new warranty, though, looks pretty attractive, as does the free-maintenance, and even the wear-and-tear-replacement warranty...few vehicles have that standard from the factory. But the initial cost of the car, to get that warranty, as you note, is excessive.

I guess I'll keep on wishing...
These cars, however, are likely to depreciate rather quickly....they probably won't hold their value forever like Hondas and Subarus. A used one, especially a CPO, with a factor-warranty, might (?) be more up your alley.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-10 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 04:55 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My best friend recently just purchases the coupe version xkr. He loves the car too deaf. My opinion on Jags has done a complete 360. It seems as if they have gotten themselves back in the game.
Old 11-24-10, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers
My best friend recently just purchases the coupe version xkr.
Congragulations to your friend. A beautiful car. I'm sure he will enjoy it. I hope he got one with the new warranty and free maintenance.

My opinion on Jags has done a complete 360. It seems as if they have gotten themselves back in the game.
On the "360", at what point in time were you talkng about? Since Ford bought them out in the late 1980s? Or more recently when Jaguar/Land Rover was sold off to Tata?

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-10 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-24-10, 07:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, impeccable timing and review on this Mike. Cooley just did a review on this on CNET and you guys are right on the money... in fact, he was a bit down on the car tech (obviously his focus) and his was normally aspirated, but very close to your overall take

The ONLY thing keeping this from the top of my list is reliability (as you mentioned, not much data). I know things have come a long way, but a few posters (actual Jag owners) on CL have mentioned still existing issues on new Jags, and it just makes me nervous, especially $100K+ expenditure. I myself prefer the coupe and it defintely rides as well or better than the AM V8!!! I'm sure a trip to the track would move it even further out front.

Well done, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Old 11-24-10, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
As always, impeccable timing and review on this Mike.

Well done, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Thanks, Russ. I plan to celebrate Thanksgiving in Suburban Maryland with one of my old co-workers and his wife. He's an old car-enthusiast like me.

Cooley just did a review on this on CNET and you guys are right on the money... in fact, he was a bit down on the car tech (obviously his focus) and his was normally aspirated, but very close to your overall take
It's hard not to like this car, especially the supercharged version, but it's obviously not a car for some situations....like winter roads.

The ONLY thing keeping this from the top of my list is reliability (as you mentioned, not much data). I know things have come a long way, but a few posters (actual Jag owners) on CL have mentioned still existing issues on new Jags, and it just makes me nervous, especially $100K+ expenditure. I myself prefer the coupe and it defintely rides as well or better than the AM V8!!! I'm sure a trip to the track would move it even further out front.
As I mentioned before, the new 5/50 warranty/free-maintenance/wear-and-tear-item-replacement addresses those issues somewhat, but that's still a rather stiff price to pay-to-play. Base versions, though, start in the low-80s.
Old 11-24-10, 09:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The XK and XKR, in effect, are simply cheaper versions of the Astons, having come off the same basic platform.
Here is a great comparison of the XKR and the Aston Martin Vantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jN87hMqSI

SPOILER: The Jaguar actually wins over the Vantage!
Old 11-24-10, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Jag XK's are popular here. A friend at my tennis club is on his second one (this XKR gen and prior gen XK convertibles), enjoys it daily.

Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-24-10, 09:26 AM
LexFather

Great review Mike, I love this car (in coupe form). Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-10, 09:30 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I freakin' love this car. Stylin', class, exclusivity. It just screams elegance.

Thanks for another great review.

Quick Reply: MM Holiday Review: 2011 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible