Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 05:22 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people call my car a Honda. And others call the ES300 a camry. I don't like it but it is usually people that are jeleous of my car.

But the ES300 isn't even a camry, it is a Windom, some people are so misinformed... And my Legend isn't a rebaged accord coupe or a prelude. It is its own chassis. The KA3.

Last edited by 88Legend; 11-28-10 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-28-10, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 88Legend
Some people call my car a Honda. And others call the ES300 a camry. I don't like it but it is usually people that are jeleous of my car.

But the ES300 isn't even a camry, it is a Windom, some people are so misinformed... And my Legend isn't a rebaged accord coupe or a prelude. It is its own chassis. The KA3.
Please read post 38. The ES is not a Windom rebadge, it is an ES 300 called a Windom in Japan as there was no dealer network.

I thought the first gen Legend was done with Rover and Rover basically didn't want to use the platform. It also was a Honda Legend in Japan when it debuted.

Little known fact, the 2nd gen was rebadged a Daewoo Arcadia!

Another little known rebadge is the Honda Crossroad...which was a Land Rover

Last edited by LexFather; 11-28-10 at 05:45 PM.

Old 11-28-10, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Little known fact, the 2nd gen was rebadged a Daewoo Arcadia!

Another little known rebadge is the Honda Crossroad...which was a Land Rover

Yeah.....these are news to me. I wasn't aware of them, either. Daewoo struggled, for a few years, trying to market products, in the U.S., under their nameplate, but not with that rebadged model.

And I thought the only re-badged Honda SUVs were the Honda Passport (an Isuzu Rodeo) and the Acura SLX (an Isuzu Trooper).

I can understand, though, why the Crossroad was not marketed in the U.S. Americans, used to Honda's stellar-reliability, complained about the Passport's lower-than-average reliability rating (per Consumer Reports). They would probably have been in shock if had they had to deal with Land-Rover-type unreliability on something with a Honda nameplate.
Old 11-28-10, 07:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Legend

es300 is very much based on camry, sorry to say that

while sometimes it's true, but personally i think it's funny people think others are jealous when they say "it's a toyota". i mean, it's true, they are all from toyota. i very much still drive a toyota now, although it's called lexus gs350 everywhere in the world
Old 11-28-10, 08:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah.....these are news to me. I wasn't aware of them, either. Daewoo struggled, for a few years, trying to market products, in the U.S., under their nameplate, but not with that rebadged model.
Daewoo bought the 2nd Gen Legend design sometime after they stopped selling that model in the US (1995). This was for the Sedan KA7 only. The Coupe KA8 version lived on until 1997 in Japan at least.
Old 11-28-10, 11:35 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Thanks for the clarification, I forgot that Lexus were first released in the U.S. and then sold in Japan as Toyotas. I thought it was the other way around.

Anyways, I also forgot about the I-6 turbo Aristo. That would have been killer in the U.S. but the U.S. market wouldn't consider it to be a legitimate E class and 5 series competitor without a V-8. I still have fond memories of my GS400; it was fast, solid, and luxurious.
Why are you still on this forum lol you drive 3 German Cars( jealous)
Old 11-29-10, 05:23 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I once got my LS400 stuck in the snow... Had some redneck yelling at me that the chains were on the wrong wheels on my FWD camry.
Old 11-29-10, 06:53 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
All I know, is that whenever I give praise to how much I like Lexus, and how I prefer it over German makes, all I hear is, "It's a Toyota". And it annoys the hell out of me. :|
I refer to my car or the brand as "Toyota", all the time, depending on the conversation. It's much easier to do this, than to distinguish Scion, Lexus, Toyota, etc. every time I need to discuss the companies general direction.

However, when used to patronize, it usually speaks more about the persons character, than a particular brand (not isolated to cars). At most, I get annoyed by the knee-jerk reaction which produces this attitude, since as previously stated, it's usually by people on the internet looking for something to nitpick-- in person, it's very rare, unless someone is joking...and there are many ways to sling mud.

After experiencing the LFA, I really couldn't care less who made it. It was a humbling experience in the hands of a professional driver, and experience trumps ignorance, every time.
Old 11-30-10, 04:06 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Why would anyone be jealous/hating on a Lexus owner? Outside of an LFA, most middle class people can finance a used 3 year old Lexus.
This is true about most MB AMGs and BMW M series and other luxury cars. Besides people are always gonna hate on something/someone. Most people hate on Lexus because its easy to compare it to Toyota because its so well known.
Old 11-30-10, 11:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

No it does not bother me if someone says my Lexus is a Toyota. That can be a compliment as Toyota's are usually well built and reliable and one of the reasons I was confident in buying a Toyota prodcut. I did not buy my GS just because I wanted a "Lexus" but because I wanted a GS, if it was badged a Toyota it would not have made a difference in my decision. When certain people ask me in certain situations what I drive I say a Toyota instead of a Lexus and I like having the option of saying I drive a Toyota/less expensive brand in certain situations. I don't need to prove anything to anybody by bragging/gloating I drive a certain brand or something more prestigious.

For people who act like douche bags and go out of their way to say you just drive a glorified Toyota(or other brand) POS or something to that effect to put you or what you drive down I know they are the ones with the issues and as a educated car enthusiasts I know the differences in models.

Those people who always go out of their way to constantly bash a brand or bash people who drive/like them have self confidence/ego issues they need to deal with. They do it just to try feel better about themselves by trying to put down what they don't like to trump up what they like/drive. You should not care too much about what those types say.
Old 11-30-10, 12:47 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Except they weren't rebadged Toyotas. They were Lexus vehicles sold as Toyotas in Japan due to no dealer network. Then in many cases the Toyota badged car didn't have the same engine or options.

For example
-the world got a V-8 GS 400/430. Japan's Aristo got I-6 and the turbo I-6
-Europe got an IS 200 I-6, we got an IS 300 I-6, the Altezza was a high revving I-4
This may be true for the other Lexus sedans, but you can't say that with the IS300.

The Altezza was out in Japan in 1998, where they didn't have a 'Lexus' dealer network. The U.S. had a Lexus network since early 90s but we didn't get the IS300 until 2001. Europe didn't get the IS200 until 1999. So to me, it's a toyota. A really good Toyota.

Last edited by dsp979; 11-30-10 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 12:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MaxNine
This may be true for the other Lexus sedans, but you can't say that with the IS300.

The Altezza was out in Japan in 1998, where they didn't have a 'Lexus' dealer network. The U.S. had a Lexus network since early 90s but we didn't get the IS300 until 2001. So to me, it's a toyota. A really good Toyota.
The IS 200 debuted in Europe around the same time, 1999. We got the IS 300 b/c at the time Lexus felt an I-4 wasn't appropriate for the brand. Thus they shoved the 2JZ in....

Also the IS/Altezza had its own platform.

Old 11-30-10, 01:54 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Doesn't bother me at all. I didn't buy the car because of the brand name anyway. If they call my GS a Toyota than I'm just proud to own a pretty good Toyota. I really don't see what the big deal is as it just a name and doesn't change the car itself one bit.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-30-10, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by link13
My thoughts exactly.
People talk a good one on the internet but if they were 50k Toyota's and it was a 55k Toyota Aristo they would rot on dealer lots. A 70k Toyota LS would rot.

We don't see 50-70k LandCruisers selling do we?

Mind you I debadge my cars and go with black pearl emblems so I don't flash the brand. I am happy there is a Lexus brand though.

Its about choice, not about being superficial. Otherwise we would all be posting on "nothingbugsme.com/carchat"

Old 11-30-10, 02:36 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

No, it doesn't bother me. Toyota is essentially Lexus' mother. Benz had been part of Chrysler would bother me a lot more.

Quick Reply: Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?