Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 02:53 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

next time you see someone with a C63, roll down your window and yell out in a southern accent, 'that thing got a hemi?'
Old 11-30-10, 03:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol , should I be bothered...?
Old 11-30-10, 03:50 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People talk a good one on the internet but if they were 50k Toyota's and it was a 55k Toyota Aristo they would rot on dealer lots. A 70k Toyota LS would rot.

We don't see 50-70k LandCruisers selling do we?

Mind you I debadge my cars and go with black pearl emblems so I don't flash the brand. I am happy there is a Lexus brand though.

Its about choice, not about being superficial. Otherwise we would all be posting on "nothingbugsme.com/carchat"
Good point re: the brand but the Landcruiser does sell (even with 14mpg). The household buying the LC makes $200k a yr but doesn't want the luxury brand tag (think silicon valley or seattle) on the car. It's the only Toyota I know that can get away with this
Old 11-30-10, 04:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

landcruisers actually sell pretty well, toyota just makes very very few of them. and yes, people buying landcruisers they are usually very very well off. the few LC i have worked on, the owners are all presidents / ceo of companies. no joke
Old 11-30-10, 05:55 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
landcruisers actually sell pretty well, toyota just makes very very few of them. and yes, people buying landcruisers they are usually very very well off. the few LC i have worked on, the owners are all presidents / ceo of companies. no joke
More like their wives
Old 11-30-10, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One of the things that impacts on LC sales (besides its stratospheric price for a Toyota-badged vehicle) is simply the Lexus LX570 itself, which offers a trick raise/lower power-adjustment for the suspension and the better Lexus warranty/customer-service for not a whole lot more. Of course, the LC still offers you a lot, even for that high price. On the last LC I reviewed, a couple of years ago, not only was the structure and general build-quality like a tank, but the smooth drivetrain also impressed, and the interior trim/hardware showed a lot of solidness and avoided much of the plastic-cheapness of many other current Toyota interiors. The LC, unlike car-based SUVs, is also a true off-roader, able to cross stream-beds and climb mountainsides like a goat (assuming you have a path wide enough for it)

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i worked on 2 LC the past month, and then a lx570 came in last week. when i drove the two LC, they reminded me how nice the car is, ride was very nice, quiet, and smooth.

but that was until i drove the lx570. imho, it blows away the LC. it rides even better, smoother, and more solid. drivetrain is quieter and engine seems a bit more powerful. fit and finish is noticeably better than LC, materials are awesome, and all electronics are better too.

so when i look at it, the lx570 seems to be an even better buy than LC
Old 11-30-10, 09:50 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i roll a 93 es, it only bothers me when they say i have an "overpriced camry". my girl has a 09 camry and i dont think it can be compared to my lex personally, much less one from my period. sure some things are shared but the difference in overall quality is very clear.

like a camaro and a corvette, you dont say a corvette is an overpriced rs, its NOT.
Old 12-01-10, 12:14 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all, mine actually is badged a Toyota except in North America. When people ask what car I have and depending who asks, I simply say Toyota. The remote electronics reside in a "Toyota" housing since the "Lexus" stamped case broke. The key is a generic transponder type with "Toyota". Besides, our barge is pretty ancient anyhow.
Old 12-01-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i worked on 2 LC the past month, and then a lx570 came in last week. when i drove the two LC, they reminded me how nice the car is, ride was very nice, quiet, and smooth.

but that was until i drove the lx570. imho, it blows away the LC. it rides even better, smoother, and more solid. drivetrain is quieter and engine seems a bit more powerful. fit and finish is noticeably better than LC, materials are awesome, and all electronics are better too.

so when i look at it, the lx570 seems to be an even better buy than LC
When you say you "worked" on the two, Henry, What does that mean? Do you actually work at a Toyota or Lexus dealership now? Maybe at Longo?
Old 12-01-10, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When you say you "worked" on the two, Henry, What does that mean? Do you actually work at a Toyota or Lexus dealership now? Maybe at Longo?
His use of the word "worked" is obvious enough, it means exactly that, he's a pro.

He may consider that to be info on a "need to know basis" (dealership), or NA. I just brought that up as respect for ones privacy.
Old 12-01-10, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Here is cali, I haven't heard of anyone calling it that

must be b/c lexus/mb/bmw/audi's are a dime a dozen and "non-childish" people have better things than to spew something like that

Well, if they did, I could care less. Just say "thanks", end of story.
Why bother arguing with ignorants/idiots/haters???
Old 12-01-10, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
i don't work for toyota or lexus, i just work on their cars.
Old 12-02-10, 09:01 AM
rgeyer
Driver School Candidate

I regularly refer to my ES300 as a "Camry", and I readily admit that it is manufactured by Toyota.

I've really got nothing to prove, and if they want to think that the car "sux hard yo" that's their prerogative. I consider it a humility thing to just consider it a "toyota". Then when people actually experience the car, they "get it", and the conversation is over. :-)
Old 12-10-10, 06:32 AM
MikeNBenj
Driver School Candidate

I bought my Lexus only because I knew it was a high end Toyota. The Toyota reputation of building trucks the stand up to the toughest conditions in the world where all the others fail is testimony to their greatness.
Also, anyone who is critical about what you have is just voicing his own insecurities about himself ( or he's jealous that you don't have the high repair bills that he does. )

Quick Reply: Does It Bother You When They Say, "It's A Toyota"?