Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Bernie Ecclestone beaten, girlfriend robbed of over $300,000 in jewelry

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 11:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Bernie Ecclestone beaten, girlfriend robbed of over $300,000 in jewelry

Report: Bernie Ecclestone beaten, girlfriend robbed of over $300,000 in jewelry

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone was reportedly beaten and robbed outside of his business headquarters in London, England on Wednesday. The Daily Mail reports that the 80-year-old billionaire and his 31-year-old girlfriend had £200,000 (approximately $312,000 in U.S. funds) worth of diamonds and jewelry stolen from them. Ecclestone was also punched and kicked repeatedly – so much so that he was taken to the hospital for a minor head injury, though he was later released.

This marks the second time Ecclestone has been robbed in the last four years. The F1 boss was last jumped after exiting his brand new Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG outside of his home in Chelsea Square. So far, Scotland Yard has not been able to track down the culprits, though it is believed that this incident is part of a larger recent string of attacks targeting the rich and famous.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/26/r...d-of-over-300/
Old 11-26-10, 11:26 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy should finally hire some security. Anyways I wish him a quick and speedy recovery.

Plus trying to fence the stolen loot should be hard. Sooner or later it will resurface and who ever has it, will have a ton of explaining to do.
Old 11-26-10, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

over $300,000 in jewelry

the 80-year-old billionaire and his 31-year-old girlfriend had £200,000 (approximately $312,000 in U.S. funds) worth of diamonds and jewelry

Why would a 31-year-old girl date an 80-year-old guy?

Seems obvious, doesn't it? I doubt if she was dating him for his male prowess.

Ecclestone was also punched and kicked repeatedly – so much so that he was taken to the hospital for a minor head injury, though he was later released.

This marks the second time Ecclestone has been robbed in the last four years. The F1 boss was last jumped after exiting his brand new Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG outside of his home in Chelsea Square. So far, Scotland Yard has not been able to track down the culprits,

Of course, just being rich is no reason to rob or assault someone....it is, of course, a crime either way. But, ironically, money could maybe (?) actually help SOLVE the crimes. The F1 organization, outside of the U.S., has plenty of cash....in Europe, it doesn't play second-fiddle to NASCAR like it does here in the U.S. If the organization (which Ecclestone runs) puts up enough reward money, maybe some witnesses to these muggings (if there are any) will decide to step up and talk.

I hope, of course, that the wounds from the beatings heal. Money can be replaced.....especially in his case. Your health and your life can't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-26-10, 12:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

heheh. Probably a Formula 1 fan giving him a once over for helping to ruin the sport.
Old 11-26-10, 02:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is why I hate when my wife wears expensive jewelry. She doesn't have anything close to 300k, lol, but she has a few nice pieces, and women do love to show this crap off. However theres a risk of being robbed for this stuff, or even just plain out risk of loosing it.
Old 11-26-10, 02:49 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why would a 31-year-old girl date an 80-year-old guy?

Seems obvious, doesn't it? I doubt if she was dating him for his male prowess.
Seriously, even though I would inherit of a **** load of money, I couldnt stand living with someone twice and almost three times as old as me... thats truely gross no matter how much money is involved
Old 11-26-10, 04:41 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Seriously, even though I would inherit of a **** load of money, I couldnt stand living with someone twice and almost three times as old as me... thats truely gross no matter how much money is involved
thank you,,,
Old 11-26-10, 06:03 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

When I saw the thread title I clicked in with the sole intent of finding out how old....err, young his girlfriend is.
Old 11-27-10, 11:07 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe she loves F1
Old 11-27-10, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
This guy should finally hire some security. Anyways I wish him a quick and speedy recovery.

Plus trying to fence the stolen loot should be hard. Sooner or later it will resurface and who ever has it, will have a ton of explaining to do.
Interesting points. Most corporate/major-organization chiefs DO have at least some kind of security or bodyguards.

As for the loot being recovered (and identified).....maybe, maybe not. Depends on if the stolen jewelry-stones were unique, or it there were others like them. The more of something you have with the same characteristics, the harder, of course, it can be to trace them.
Old 11-28-10, 08:36 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though he is a thug and corrupt beyond beilef, I don't wish this upon anyone.
Old 11-28-10, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
Even though he is a thug and corrupt beyond beilef, I don't wish this upon anyone.
I wouldn't necessarily call him a thug. He's just an 80-year old (probably) half-senile guy (like some of our own Members of Congress) who should have retired long ago and turned over the duties of his office to someone younger and with more energy. Some people hold their jobs so long that they just don't know when to quit.
Old 11-28-10, 04:08 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't necessarily call him a thug. He's just an 80-year old (probably) half-senile guy (like some of our own Members of Congress) who should have retired long ago and turned over the duties of his office to someone younger and with more energy. Some people hold their jobs so long that they just don't know when to quit.
See the remarks he made about hitler "getting things done", calling the teams HE promoted "cripples" and generally abusing his power. I'd say he is a thug.
Old 11-28-10, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
See the remarks he made about hitler "getting things done", calling the teams HE promoted "cripples" and generally abusing his power.
Exactly my point. If he actually believes those things, then, in my book, that's proof of his senility.

All the more reason he should have stepped down years ago.
Old 12-07-10, 11:30 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Soon to be in car magazines all over the world.

Quick Reply: Report: Bernie Ecclestone beaten, girlfriend robbed of over $300,000 in jewelry