Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Roundabouts proliferating in America, drivers confused

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 12:15 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love roundabouts (or traffic circles), I drive by one every day. It's much more efficient than a traditional intersection IMO. But seems like a lot of drivers in the US struggles with it...I would see an accident there on average of once a month.
Old 12-01-10, 04:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm from california. we don't have any merry go rounds.

when i made a short trip to the east coast, i got stuck in a 3-lane roundabout, on the inside lane.
played ring around the rosy a few times.

I still prefer 4 way stops.... because yielding at busy merry go rounds sucks ! Look at how long those cars have to wait.

If it were a 4 way stop, you'd be long gone by then.

I've been to miami, and the single lane roundabouts I like.
Old 12-05-10, 09:48 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the worst in the country, circle(of death) during rush hour.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/...iew/?service=0
Old 12-06-10, 06:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Houston has several "traffic circles" - one down in the old Museum District where Main and Montrose intersect - along with a couple of "park roads" that serve the museums and zoo. This is on a MAJOR thoroughfare and although it was once thought of as quaint, it has become a major headache.

What began as a simple one-lane roundabout grew as the intersecting streets were widened. Now it's at least three lanes wide and you need to know what lane to be in and keep your head on a swivel. If you mess up you will find yourself funneled off onto a street you had no intention of entering - well that or you're going 'round again. The worst part of this roundabout is that it is located between the Museum District and the Medical Center, meaning it gets LOTS of tourists and foreigners unfamiliar with Houston traffic in general, and roundabouts in particular. Locals try to avoid it.

Two roundabouts that work pretty well here: one is a "decorative feature" in an old residential neighborhood with little traffic. What traffic there is, is quite slow - but the real problem with it is that it is not well marked - and the little park at its center was often the site of midnight crashes as teens rocketing down the empty street found themselves suddenly facing a curb with trees and a little pavilion beyond . . . and freeze up. The solution was to remove the trees and pavilion after the city got tired replacing them. Now the casualties tend to be busted struts and tie-rod ends as drivers take an unintended short cut through the middle of the roundabout . . . "Dukes of Hazzard" style.

The other functional roundabout is under I-45S, where Broadway and Park Place Blvd. intersect the freeway service roads. It is extremely well-marked, showing you exactly which lane to be in, and curbs and traffic islands help keep the brainless from smacking into one another. After a couple of trips through this relatively well-traveled intersection, you get the hang of it. The only problem is now that the traffic has to blend with "controlled" roadways (traffic lights), they've had to install lights on the roundabout as well - which only adds to frustration. It actually worked better without the lights - despite a few sideswipes that are now more common.